• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for kids

illuminatefreak

Par Member
My 5yr old son has a 133g Innova Shark that he really likes. What are some other similar discs that come in light weights and where do you find them? I'm sure if I just keep searching, I'd find random ones on different online stores, but I wasn't sure if there was a good place to get low weight discs.

I'd love to get him a regular Buzzz, but I couldn't find anything in low weight. Know where I might find one of those in low weight?

Thanks in advance.

Gotta Go Gotta Throw has a pretty impressive offering of lightweight stuff.

I just picked up a 101g Polecat there the other day.

Wizards come in very light weights too, if you can't find a buzzz you could always get a lucid air truth in 150 class.

Innova makes a decent assortment of sub-140g discs, in lightweight DX models and also the superlight blizzard discs.

I haven't encountered any other manufacturers' discs in these weights, though I wouldn't be surprised.

I suspect online is the way to go---I doubt many places or local vendors stock them.

Lat64 Junior set comes with light weight putter (Ruby), Midrange (Pearl) and fairway driver (Diamond).

My 9 year old daughter got a set for Xmas along with lightweight DX wedges.

The wedges are lower profile than the Ruby's and fit better in her hand for putting.

The Innova DX starter set is excellent also. All in the 150g range. Aviar, Shark and Loepard.

My nephew started throwing in backyards when he was four, he was both forehanding and backhanding a max weight RFF Wizard. Nowadays, he throws a 168g 400 F7. He is 8 now.

My daughter has an Opto air diamond and loves it. Max weight on a regular diamond is 155, hers is 135, and I think they get a little bit lighter. I got hers on infinite discs website.

I've seen 125g Valkyries, Beasts, Rocs, Skeeters, Polecats and Birdies at the local shop, so I know they're out there.

Get him a lightweight polecat, my little girl bombs polecats.

Honestly though, the weight doesn't matter so much because at that age their form is really rough.

Yesterday she threw disks for about a half hour, and her longest throws were with a 153 diamond, 150 polecat 175 wizard, and 172 Swan.

AutoCorrect spelled disks, I know it's discs.

My son is only a month old, so I don't know if this would really work... but what about a lighter FLX Buzzz? Does 30g make a big difference for kids? Yes, I'm a Buzzz fan.

30g is a massive difference. Less weight equals less effort. So, it really depends on how hard the little one can throw. Most kids do not have the arm for heavies. My nephew is a little freak athlete who excels in baseball, though. He also figured out the windfighting advantages of heavier discs all on his own. He picked out both the 175 RFF Wizard and the 168 400 F7 from my stash with very minimal guidance from me. He also has a really nice PFN 150 Champion TeeBird that I gave him, but I have not seen him toss that yet. Once again, it depends on the arm speed of the young one. At only a month old, his arm speed is going to be "not a lot". Also, grip may be an issue with those baby hands. I suggest an Innova Aviar Mini.

Gateway makes lightweight apaches and sabres in the 115 130 range. My two youngest throw the apaches to great effect.

Prodigy makes some light weight discs as well. I set my Grandson up with some of them and he enjoys them. Likes the feel.

Lat64 Junior set comes with light weight putter (Ruby), Midrange (Pearl) and fairway driver (Diamond).

Cool of them to make a set. But, they're not going to be _that_ light, right? 150+ g for the Pearl and Ruby, and 140+ g for the Diamond? Not so much different, at least in weight, than an Innova DX Starter Set.

When my kids were little (e.g. 6, 7) going _really_ light, as with a 100 g Polecat, made a noticeable difference. It's still our go-to catch disc.

My three year old did well with the Lil Wizards when he was two. I got a couple 110 Leopards for him this winter, and he throws them quite a bit further (60-70').

I just bought a sweet 112 DX Roc that almost feels gummy champ, really odd material. I bought a 101g Polecat as well. Haven't had a chance for my 5 year old daughter to throw them yet, but the 169g dx leopard was "Way too heavy" (her words)

discgolfcenter is where i got mine, super easy with color and weight to choose.

The Trilogy stuff (ruby, diamond, etc) was still too heavy, and seemed a bit expensive for her first set.

Latest posts