• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discussion - Thoughts on how you choose your putter

Sheep

Sir, This is a Wendy's
Report/write/discuss whatever.

Your thoughts on how you choose the putting putter you are putting with. If its as simple as "my favorite pro putts with it," put that down.

If there is a lineage of how you got to the putter you use, write about it and your thoughts on why you changed.

What are some important things in a putter you look for for putting?

I putt with a Discraft Challenger, a soft UV challenger from AM world's 2003. My best friend gave me that disc many, many years ago. I was already putting with Challengers before that but that is my favorite putter. The reason I use Challengers is the stability. I use a turbo putt and being stable to slightly over stable is good in that regard. Tried multiple putters from like 2004-2009 ish but the Challenger always felt best when balancing for a turbo and the stability made it the most accurate.

My lineage.
1) First was depth and hand feel. I have small hands and I was learning the game off hand due to being a disabled vet who can't utilize their dominant arm/hand to play. I found shallower putters were easier and more comfortable to grip, release and put spin on. That eliminated a plethora of deep putters from even getting tried. Example (The Aviar from my starter set got tossed for my buddies starter pack Dart, Innova was the only brand available locally and I was disc ignorant and avoided buying anything online I couldn't feel in person before purchase)
2) Bead verses non bead. While I enjoyed the added stability most beaded putters I tried provided, I just never got comfortable and consistent with my release. So I eliminated beaded putters. (I was gifted a Swan Reborn, shallow beaded and tried it for a while but never felt confident with it, also handed a Deputy and liked the feel but was very understable on longer putts, so now I was looking for something that shallow, beadless, but more stable)
3) I also discovered since I was putting with my off hand that I wasn't generating near the velocity or spin so I was going to be more of a push putter and control my nose angle. This lead me to the Warden which did mostly everything I wanted but wished it was slightly shallower.
4) Next issue was plastic feel, I noticed early on that I did not like hard stiff putters, especially in the cold. They were slippery in my hands even in dry conditions and I just didn't feel confident with them. I found a shallower Warden type putter, the Pure, in a grippy softer but still firm plastic and that became my putter for years.
5) Occasionally I would test new putters at brick and mortar stores, or if my friends had something new, but I stayed with Pures. I loved the feel, trusted my release and the flight of the disc, and only really wished for a little more glide from circle two putts. I came across a Penny putter from Lone Star in a shop at Ledgestone in Victor 2 plastic and tested a few putts out. Instant love. It felt very similar to my beloved Pures, but it had that straight glide I was looking for. After alternating between the two on the practice green, during rounds, and eventually alternating during tournaments, the Penny won its spot in my bag and has been there ever since. I specifically like how grippy the plastic is regardless of weather conditions and how they grab the chains.

I became a full on MVP shill and have small hands, so I switched to the Atom.

I have never really noticed huge differences in most neutral putters though. I can tell the difference between an Envy and a Spin at putting distances, but any standard putters fly just about the same to me lol.

Yup I drank the gyro kool-aid too...

Mine was progression, I think I was using a magnet for quitea while until a tragic tree hit, waffles for a while but ran a wizard then magic/Ontario champ rhyno.

Then there was this new company with gyro and electrician friendly names. 2nd run ion to start, DGCR loved it, I did not haha. Kept with it until I figured it out. Greatly improved my throw. Got a slew of other gyro. Had a massive putter play off to see which one fit me best, I play a lot of one disc or 3 disc rounds.

Basically the envy won, the neutron atom was a close second, even after my lights out tourney score the year before with the Anode. The envy was familiar in feel to the magic/rhyno, shallow, with that lower bevel and micro bead, faster and further than the rhyno on approach and more comfortable for fh. More reliable/wind resistant in the circle than the magic and with an extra foot or two of loft over the rhyno. Weirdly in between but great for a one disc (or two envy) round.

Figured yup time to settle down, got a few more, bought another 6 or so from Artemis, lost in shipping for a couple months, bought another 4 from infinite and they all showed up about the same time. 11x PP PFN plasma 165-67g plasma envy.

Yup I drank the gyro kool-aid too...

Mine was progression, I think I was using a magnet for quitea while until a tragic tree hit, waffles for a while but ran a wizard then magic/Ontario champ rhyno.

Then there was this new company with gyro and electrician friendly names. 2nd run ion to start, DGCR loved it, I did not haha. Kept with it until I figured it out. Greatly improved my throw. Got a slew of other gyro. Had a massive putter play off to see which one fit me best, I play a lot of one disc or 3 disc rounds.

Basically the envy won, the neutron atom was a close second, even after my lights out tourney score the year before with the Anode. The envy was familiar in feel to the magic/rhyno, shallow, with that lower bevel and micro bead, faster and further than the rhyno on approach and more comfortable for fh. More reliable/wind resistant in the circle than the magic and with an extra foot or two of loft over the rhyno. Weirdly in between but great for a one disc (or two envy) round.

Figured yup time to settle down, got a few more, bought another 6 or so from Artemis, lost in shipping for a couple months, bought another 4 from infinite and they all showed up about the same time. 11x PP PFN plasma 165-67g plasma envy.
I buy a new Envy almost every time I go to our local shop lol. I just can't help myself.

My most recent lol:
1234.jpg

I buy a new Envy almost every time I go to our local shop lol. I just can't help myself.

My most recent lol:
View attachment 328946
Nice I got an L2 one of those at 155 pretty nice. I've been soaking up some of the extra pyramid Eclipse ones from the gyro box last year, they are slightly softer and less stable than a regular run of eclipse. I don't even want to count how many I have now but if I had to guess I'd say 40

Here is my progression from the beginning (~2015-current)
DX Rhyno - one of 3 discs I bought as my 'starter' discs to fight KS wind (others were DX Roc and Champ TeeBird)
F2 XT Colt/Stud & G* Aviar PA/Dart - cheap Winter time putting/throwing to try out

Tournament competitive play below (2017-current)
D-line P2 - Sexton ITB, like the beadless feel and better glide/straighter flight than DX Rhyno. Began putting mostly straddle spush style.
P-line P2 - Hot & humid Midwest summer, thought the stiffer/slicker plastic would break in and be better (learned that my hands sweat a bit much for this to work consistently)
X-line P2 - grippier stiff putters continued with mostly straddle putt.
Wizards - bought them to throw and tried them for putting for a bit

Acquired DGA Mach Lite Practice basket in Dec 2019, ended up with a lot of practice indoor time during 2020 lockdowns
DX Rhynos - after practicing a bit with the beadless P2 I tried the Rhyno again trying to learn more of a staggered spin putt
- found the thumbtrack gave a good consistent location to put the thumb and spin with good releases
- spent most of 2020 using a handful of flatter DX Rhynos but had some frustrations with on course performance from 25'+ in tournament conditions
BB AviarX Driver - picked up a couple JK and Yeti Aviars to try out for longer putting range/approaches 20' and out
- switched to factory store XT Aviar Drivers for competitive play (stiff XT + grip that I liked from X-line P2s) for almost all situations from mid-2021 till now

Rhynos and Pigs can get use in windy/downhill situations, usually R-Pro.

Probably close to 80% from 15-20' and 90% from 15' and in which helps with making longer runs on first putts and not worrying about par comebacks. Practice time probably peaked in 2020-2021 and now I have a pretty good routine and muscle memory for putting during that time.

One of the first three discs I purchased was a DX Hydra and I used that from 2007 until last year. I finally decided that I did not want to risk it anymore and retired it. R-Pro Hydras do not feel as good and lack the cool stamp, so I passed on those. I also decided that trying to find DX Hydras and relying on 10+ year old plastic would not be a great idea either. Direct replacements for the Hydra do not really exist since it is so bulky in hand and has a 1.4cm rim. I had gotten a few other putters over the years and started playing with them (Wizard, P Model S, P Model US, Pilot, Aviar, Maiden, Dino Discs Triceratops). I simply played full rounds with them and did regular putting practice in my backyard. None of them felt the same as my Hydra, which was disheartening at first. Once I realized that I did not need the exact same disc to putt well, I was finally able to make progress towards finding an effective putting putter. This realization took several months though.

I could putt well enough with any of my putters or midranges after some practice in the backyard. However, the beaded putters occasionally would catch on my fingers at release, and while not a regular issue, it seemed to occur most in critical moments. Eventually, my preferred putting putter ended up being the P Model US. The biggest decider for me was that after many putts, it is the one that releases the best from my hand. I felt that any miss was my fault and not an issue with the putter, which helped a lot with the mental game. Other factors I liked about it was it was cheap, readily available, and more of an 'underdog' putter. I also picked up a Swan 1 Reborn in BT Soft for winter putting, which is also excellent.

My biggest takeaway from the process was that no putter is going to be magically perfect for you. A lot of putters will be rather solid initially. The best is to find one you want to be committed to, and then practice your form to work for that putter as best you can. My style has changed significantly from when I was using my Hydra, as the P Model US has much better glide, but I always enjoy taking it out and seeing what I can do with it.

Currently using "puffy" Wizards, I believe SS flex.
I was a long time Omega user, Proto 1.2 until those were basically unavailable, then AP's. I like the feel of the texture and grip.
I turned to Wizards after getting some them with some "Overstable" stamp.
I really like the Fossil Flex from RDG Wizards. Feel very similar to the Omega 1.2's. If those could be gotten (hint, hint) with the "Puffy" rim, it would be awesome.

ProD Banger GT - I like how it feels like a shallower rim disc, and the depressed flight plate gives me more to grip/leverage against on the underside. I recently changed my thumb position so it's no longer in the groove which seems to have improved my putting. I putted with a Banshee when I started and couldn't find a putter that felt good until I found the Banger. I briefly putted with an Aerobie Arrow and Innova XD before the Banger. The past year or two I've switched back and forth between the Banger, Wizard and Berg.

Generally dislike shallow putters as it should fill out my hand. It also needs that straight slope on the bottom so I can lay my index finger on the rim. So discs like Daggers or Wizard are no-gos. The plastic needs some grip but it also shouldnt give in. I got a fairly soft grip as that seems to work best with the soft finger pop I give them. Lastly they should be fairly straight as I just putt straight at the basket and at most give putters the same height as the upper band on a basket. Also I want to throw my putting putters on approach shots as they do that glide to the right the best out of all my discs when they are beat-in.

All this sounds like a lot of trial and error, in reality I just learned to putt with a beadless dx Aviar and never really dabbled with any other putters.

I learned to putt with dga titanics(sink putts) they became kind of hard to find 10+ years ago so I switched to challengers, still using challengers.

What I'm looking for in a putter is first hand feel then grip then stability. If it flips over on a high power throw I consider it too understable to putt with.

Disclaimer: I am not a good putter.

I've been playing for a little more than 4 years, and the first few months I putted with my first disc a DX Valkyrie, I didn't know any better. I then went onto my first in shop buy a Pro Valkyrie moving up, ha. That disc felt great for putting and had it for a few years before losing it off the tee.

It wasn't until a little more after my first year it was time for form building starting on a standstill with two putters and went to PIAS and spent about an hour there. First time taking putters seriously. It was all about the grip. Settled on two R2 Pigs the rubbery feel felt great for putting and form building. The only problem I had with them if they hit pole there was a chance they could bounce back and out of the basket. Lost those two on death putts, and a third earlier this year on an approach, 2 1/2 years with a pig in the bag.

A year and 1/2 ago started flipping my bag over to MVP/Axiom and went thru a few of their plastics on buys, grip felt great, but weak on wind putting. The first putter that was a keeper was a Plasma Envy used it for putting, the Pig on approaches. Outstanding disc for wind putting earlier this year nailed an 85-footer (range finder) on a 25-mph cross wind straight in, no loft. I've had the Envy for 15 months now. When I pretty much completed my bag swap back in June, I started looking at putters again. 6 months ago, I had three putters adding a Plasma Entropy back in the spring, used for stronger wind putting and when I need a fade putt around trees, a few months ago dropped in a 76-footer. I now have 8 putters, and with a practice basket the past 6 months I feel like I can putt with any of them, and all feel great with the grip, all at least 173g and above. But they have their uses for putting.

Plasma Envy, and Plasma Proxy C1 used for open courses with wind blowing. Envy C2 and out.

Wooded courses Eclipse Envy C2 for fade putts, Eclipse Proxy a draw or turn putt, also C1. The Proxy 80-feet and greater, have dropped my longest putt with it in the putting position 99-feet out, wanted it so badly to be 100.

C1 putting light wind Plasma Tangent, pushing out to 40-feet. Plasma Nomad light wind primary putter 60-80 feet in almost 6 months have dropped somewhere around 30 putts in that range, furthest 82-feet.

In a protective status because there now OOP Plasma Tangent, and Plasma Anode. They stay home from courses with death putts and approaches, and this time of the year courses with heavy layers of leafs. The Anode is a work in progress with approaches, so at this time its only being used with my practice basket. These were the last two putters bought, together three months ago.

The only putter that stays in my bag at all times is the Plasma Entropy for fade approaches. This morning two rounds just once for putting moderately wooded course. All the others are cycle into the bag based on need, and never any more than four putters.

Yesterday I went with a Glo Yeti, a JK Aviar and Star Invader combination. The Yeti was primary, JK was approach and wind putt, and the Invader was the swiss army knife.
In the depending how I feel pile, which is always up for interpretation in the right before I leave what will I use today sequence. It's Star Aviars for main, and 3, and X3's, Soft Exo Logic, gstar Whale (main) Colt, and If I know that its going to be comically windy. I switch over to the Rhyno.

My lineage.
1) First was depth and hand feel. I have small hands and I was learning the game off hand due to being a disabled vet who can't utilize their dominant arm/hand to play. I found shallower putters were easier and more comfortable to grip, release and put spin on. That eliminated a plethora of deep putters from even getting tried. Example (The Aviar from my starter set got tossed for my buddies starter pack Dart, Innova was the only brand available locally and I was disc ignorant and avoided buying anything online I couldn't feel in person before purchase)
2) Bead verses non bead. While I enjoyed the added stability most beaded putters I tried provided, I just never got comfortable and consistent with my release. So I eliminated beaded putters. (I was gifted a Swan Reborn, shallow beaded and tried it for a while but never felt confident with it, also handed a Deputy and liked the feel but was very understable on longer putts, so now I was looking for something that shallow, beadless, but more stable)
3) I also discovered since I was putting with my off hand that I wasn't generating near the velocity or spin so I was going to be more of a push putter and control my nose angle. This lead me to the Warden which did mostly everything I wanted but wished it was slightly shallower.
4) Next issue was plastic feel, I noticed early on that I did not like hard stiff putters, especially in the cold. They were slippery in my hands even in dry conditions and I just didn't feel confident with them. I found a shallower Warden type putter, the Pure, in a grippy softer but still firm plastic and that became my putter for years.
5) Occasionally I would test new putters at brick and mortar stores, or if my friends had something new, but I stayed with Pures. I loved the feel, trusted my release and the flight of the disc, and only really wished for a little more glide from circle two putts. I came across a Penny putter from Lone Star in a shop at Ledgestone in Victor 2 plastic and tested a few putts out. Instant love. It felt very similar to my beloved Pures, but it had that straight glide I was looking for. After alternating between the two on the practice green, during rounds, and eventually alternating during tournaments, the Penny won its spot in my bag and has been there ever since. I specifically like how grippy the plastic is regardless of weather conditions and how they grab the chains.
I putt with Zero Pures now, but you have me mostly convinced I need to try a Penny. My only concern is they show a fade of 2, and I prefer the least amount of fade possible, but it seems like reviewers do say the Victor2 plastic is much less stable than the numbers?

Last edited:

Your thoughts on how you choose the putting putter you are putting with. If its as simple as "my favorite pro putts with it," put that down.

If there is a lineage of how you got to the putter you use, write about it and your thoughts on why you changed.

I spin putt, and I usually bag 3-4 putters. I have over 50 putters - my approach was try them all, practice them all in the back yard, and whatever ones I do best with go in the bag. My favorites in order, best I can remember, went: Judges (because I read they were great), Aviar DX briefly, Soft Magnets for a while (and I still like them), Fierce (which I still bag, and like for curving shots, especially going right), and now Zero Medium Pure as my main straight putting putter. I have small hands, so I figured out I prefer shallow putters. I liked that the bead on the Soft Magnet gave me great control, and nice soft landings, but the bead also made it hard for me to keep my release as consistent, so my make percentage wasn't good enough - too many shots just a tad off left or right. So, I prefer either no bead or a small bead. I like a putter that gets easy distance, because throwing harder makes me less accurate. Oh, I use a Jawbreaker Banger-GT for windy days, very straight, but my dislike is it doesn't get me easy distance. I would ideally use Soft Magnet for approach shots, and I think it is a great all around putter, but for me, I need to use the same or a very similar putter most of the time to be comfortable and used to it, really learn it. For a while I loved my Watt for a bit longer approach shots, the easy distance, but now Pure goes pretty long, so Watt is in retirement (plus, Watt is too deep for my liking). Pretty close to saying Zero Pure is my permanent putter, and stocking up more, but now, it sounds like I might have to try out a Penny Victor2?!

Last edited:

Great thread idea, Sheep. I love it!

I like to keep things simple so I've always tried to use the same mold as my main "thrower" and "putter". In that vein I used Wizards for the most part my first couple years playing before switching to Alpacas a year or so ago. Main reason I switched was because I wanted to try something without the bead and found I preferred beadless. And call me crazy but I like the feel of DX for putters

I also keep a Zone in the bag for windy days, and if the Zone's a putter so is the Sol so I count that as my understable putter. I also keep a Glitch on hand for tunnel shots and tricky approaches.

I putt with Zero Pures now, but you have me mostly convinced I need to try a Penny. My only concern is they show a fade of 2, and I prefer the least amount of fade possible, but it seems like reviewers do say the Victor2 plastic is much less stable than the numbers?
The Premium plastics of Pennies have different flight numbers than the base line (Victor) plastics, and Lone Star actually says this on their website to help players out. The base plastics are much more understable in flight, but fly a very nice straight line with just a touch of reliable fade at the end when putting from circle 2. I love both the Pure and the Penny. The Penny just won me over with the glide. The premium plastics are better for throwing obviously.

Quick Reference
3/4/0/2 - Alpha, Bravo, Lima, Glow, Charlie, Founders
3/5/-1/1 - Victor 1 and Victor 2

Latest posts