• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discussion - Thoughts on how you choose your putter

I've tried different stuff.

Pa3

Avair tour series (too slick for my liking)

And now I actually putt with a prodigy p model (believe it's a throwing putter?).

I think I'm heading back to a Pa3 when I'm starting to play again.

In all fairness, it doesn't matter what putter I use, I'm still trash lol

My biggest takeaway from the process was that no putter is going to be magically perfect for you. A lot of putters will be rather solid initially. The best is to find one you want to be committed to, and then practice your form to work for that putter as best you can. My style has changed significantly from when I was using my Hydra, as the P Model US has much better glide, but I always enjoy taking it out and seeing what I can do with it.

More of what I was looking for here.

Trying to see how people derived on the putter they are using, not necessarily "what" the putter they are using.

I theorize that a lot of people just pick a putter and try and make it work, which might actually pull down their percentages overall. While they put "decent" they are so attached to X-disc/Brand/Player that they might not be willing to try "similar" discs that would increase their percentages without actually changing their putting.

Watching people putt on the course, there are a lot of putters out there who just putt with putters that are too overstable, or their putting style would benefit from an under stable putter, etc.

This isn't really a hugely thought out idea, and I figured making a video on "how" to choose a putter that was right for your game would be pretty good content, but then ... I was thinking.... "how did others come to the putter they use."

And based on the answers ya'll provided in here, its mostly "yeah, I got this putter, and uhh, it felt good, so yeah, that's what I putt with."

I'm sitting over here on like... 120 putters? 102 according to my spreadsheet.

I've only went through a few putters, but I look at putters and putting I think a bit differently because I putt with 3 or 4 different putters all the time depending on whats going on, but a lot of your pro players will stick with that 1 set of putters, one slightly worn, etc. whatever.

While I'm over here 60 out, like "screw jump putting, let me toss this ..." Which used to be a spin, then it was a glitch, and now its a watt.

By changing the putters further out, i'm getting the benifit of the putter being more understable and glidey that can be a detriment more up close and i'm far easier able to focus on the stroke and aim vs trying to jump around like a monkey, or step about like a cholo. (jokes people, jokes. come play with me and my boy, you'll get 2 hours of cholo jokes, he's fun dude)
Sorry, i got off track anyways, I dont agree with jump putting or how people step putt, I digress. the floaty flippier putter isn't benificial up close, but gives you that higher chance further out.
Or .. "oh goodness, its a headwind putt."
... always putt with envy in headwinds.
Why?
Envy dont care.
But envy got some stability to it, so when you push out 20-25 feet, you gotta start playing that fade, vs keeping the same stroke/putt to 50 feet out.

And maybe we need to look at our putting as trying to maintain the stroke as long as possible, vs trying to force a different stroke to push a disc differently cause we are further out?

I bounced around a variety of Judges, Magnets, and Deputies. Picked up a returned disc at my local shop. Felt obligated to buy something, nothing caught my eye, so I bought a Classic Aviar because it was the cheapest disc.

Tried it out, and made a couple of putts from circle's edge, which wasn't something that I was doing at the time.

And I just made a commitment to stick with Classic Aviars. I love the stamp, I love the old school vibe. Loving these things means I'm more confident with them in my hand. They are cheap. They are readily available. Beadless gives me a cleaner release. The firmness and stability extends my range. Don't want to putt anything else.

In around 2003 or so, I decided to figure out putting and the first step was to replace the SE Soft Rhynos I had been using that were too overstable and finicky for my spin style. I got every putter the local good Disc Golf shop had, like ten types, brought them home and did some science, seeing what percentage I made for each at about 30 feet. Even a Champion Aero! I'll be damned, though; the winner was the Birdie. So I committed to them at that time, got 10 for practice, and spent the next 15 years putting at my basket in the garage every time I went out to grill or whatever.

Due to its aerodynamics more closely resembling an anvil than a flying Disc, years of putting with that DID make me put more upward motion on my spin putting style's trajectory. I was going straight at my target in a line drive fashion in my earlier years.

That 15 years was spent not playing in sanctioned events at all. I was content playing casually even though I always like trying to get better.

FFWD to about 5 years ago when Jomez got me off my hiatus and I wanted to be serious again. I was looking for a more standard putter that glides better than that Birdie, partly because I'm older now and I was having to put a lot of energy into making the un-aerodynamic thing do what I wanted. I was intrigued with a description of the XT plastic version of the Aviar, and I putted with Aviars a lot back in the '90s. I LOVE the combination of tacky grip AND stiff mold. It's become my go-to and has stayed that way ever since, with a caveat: I needed something less stable for my old-man straddle putts and since a ton of people were using Deputies at putting league, I gave that a whirl and love it for when I can't shift my weight easily while in a straddle position. It clicks for me and I drain a lot of effortless putts with the Deputy.

I developed a good putting style for both the regular stagger stance with the XT Aviar and also a straddle with the Deputy. On many occasions I will not "feel" one or the other and go back and forth to help make a few extra putts, like I'm going to the bullpen. I did this to win the championship for my putting league against a bunch of people 20 years younger than me, including this friend of mine who runs the Crew 42 channel and had previously beaten Andrew Marwede for the state putting title at the state championships a few years back. Here's the video if you're interested. I'm the old bearded guy hanging by a thread throughout that battle of 30-footers, using my straddle Deputy putts when the stagger XT Aviars didn't feel right warming up for the evening. Won a Marksman-Lite and $50 for telling myself to "make THIS one!" over and over again as I was down to my last putt at least once against the local putting celebrity.

Y'all put a lot of thought into this.

Started putting with warlocks. MVP started their company and I got some Atoms or something, didn't like them. P2's felt good in the hand, I didn't like a beaded putter, so I used them.

Realized that putting is literally about what feels good and hours and hours of practice. So now I have like 20 P2's and thousands of hours on them.

I have no reason to switch unless the disc becomes unavailable or I get a manufacturer sponsor. Then I'll just grab whatever feels the best from their lineup and ask for 15 of the same and put in the work.

Realized that putting is literally about what feels good and hours and hours of practice. So now I have like 20 P2's and thousands of hours on them.

Is it, or did you just decide based on how it felt in the hand and adapted your putting to it through sheer force?

Long ago (in a galaxy far, far away) my putter, the first one I loved, was a gummy Kittyhawk.

When I came back to the sport recently I wanted a similar feel and had no idea about discs, makers, plastics, etc. Still, I had to choose something and also have enough to legitimately practice.

This made me a bit skeptical about trying too many molds, so I started with a Wizard and I've stuck with it. I still putt with 2xnylon blends and have a pure white for throwing. I used to have an XT Aviar in this slot.

I get better with it each season, but feel like I am learning to work with it rather that choosing the best option. I guess with any putter mold you need a few for practice, so it is expensive to range around.

Last edited:
@Sheep:
Or .. "oh goodness, its a headwind putt." ... always putt with envy in headwinds. Why? Envy dont care. But envy got some stability to it, so when you push out 20-25 feet, you gotta start playing that fade, vs keeping the same stroke/putt to 50 feet out

Kind of, that's assuming the putter starts with a backhand or spin putt in the circle, and putts the same way, same putter outside the circle. Personally I kinda lob it in circle, move to a backhand line drive kinda putt further out.

167g plasma envy for lobs 40ft in
174g electron envy bh/spin 30ft out
A 174g envy wind/tonals occasionally

150g glitch for soft backhand touch putts, line drives, uphill, soft landings, anyyzers.. any time I'm feeling groovy or the envy isn't the right choice.

I have tried a ridiculous number of putters so let me summarize:

Short version: I like to carry two of the same putting putters, usually a beat one for putting and a fresh one for straight drives/approaches and "player 2" putts. Criteria include grippy texture, shallow and fairly smooth rim, and a reasonably flat top.

Started with a pre-Thumtrac Birdie. Used it for 10 years of once-a-year playing. Horrible glideless flippy turd but I didn't know any better.

Tried a bunch of Gateway putters, mostly because I loved the soft, grippy feel. Settled on the Warlock because I loved it for putting and throwing. I have still never thrown any other putter as far as a Warlock, but when I learned sidearm I found that the Warlock's sharp rim didn't work with my sidearm grip, so . . .

Tried a bunch of MVP putters (Anode, Ion, etc.). Loved the shallow feel and how they threw. Did not love the slick feel of premium putters, so . . .

Chainsgoching brought some brand-new XT Colts to a meetup. Loved the grippy texture, flat top, shallow rim, and dead straight flight on drives/approaches. When Innova switched to domey Colts I switched to Studs, but then Innova also ruined the Stud, so . . .

MVP started producing putters in Electron Soft so I tried a bunch. Settled on Electron Soft Proxy for its grippy texture, shallow rim, and straight flight. I have reached the point where I am more of a limitation than my putter, so . . . end of story?

The more I think about it there's a few things more in line with your question of how did you get here... or the selection process.

I started with a buzzz as a putter for feel but then i started to dabble with putters looking for a flight, something that I could maintain straight at distance but there was a few too many rocket shots from dubs and a few too many missed comeback putts. Flight was nice but not everything. Aggressive putting only works when you are good, or at least excellent at comeback and in circle putts.

(I think everything is pretty much the same for me inside about 20' now.. putter/driver/chunk of garbage/ block of wood etc.

So like many have said comfort in the hand etc is now №1 for an older and more skilled me. I'm not chasing a flight anymore to up my percentage, I'm committing to a mold and upping my familiarity to up my percentage. "Do the work" as someone said.)

That said, in my journey score was next priority back then, tap ins especially within 15 and 20ft. Hello Ontario champ rhyno. Low aerodynamics and lower scores.

Bunch of messing around with approach putters since the rhyno didn't do that and looking for a complement or replacement. Some great wizards (especially one used superglow til it wore out), challengers, aviars, omega, gumbputts, puttrs, Magnets, whitler, and then the magic for quite a while. Good easy Loft great for a long run putt or flat spin putt. Awful in the wind. It rode as a steady complement, but I wasn't huge on a putter outside 80'. That was comet country. I was still kinda chasing a flight but I had a system.

I had found DGCR, the comet was the first rec i listened to, talk of the ion was making me curious. Worked with the ion when it was invented trying to learn how other people made it do that awesome stuff. Eventually figured it out, and threw better haha, good flight but my hand really didn't like it. Pushing 130' consistently. Went anode when they came out, better but different flight. Pushing 160' but dead straight mostly, tried a 170g one after winning Steve Mawsdley black omega 165 or 170g in a bring a prize take a prize tourney. Hmmmm 5g makes a difference for me.

Tried a whole slew again, the magic was out of heavy rotation but rhyno was still there. I'd learned how to FH it meantime. Basically I fiddled around for another few years sacrificing one benefit for another tweaking stuff.

If it glided nice it was affected by wind, if it was stable it caught cage too often. Got the envy a somewhere in there, I liked the flat inner rim and the feel was good. So good. Kept on trying to use 4 or 5 putter molds consistently... I was also working with 5 mids and probably 10 drivers. Kept reading DGCR mold minimalism, know your discs, the Roc cycle, also noticed I was doing better with my casual bag than the full tourney one.

Got older, got smarter, got a nutsac somewhere in between. Picking 12 discs was tough. Haha. Started playing more 1 disc with the dog. Started getting 200'+ on a putter. Had beat an envy through to straight, had good luck in the yard, felt comfy, worked well enough for everything. Had a great putter playoff and it was the one I picked.

TLDR: Why Throw A Envy?
Comfort was #1. Shallow, Beadless. Bevelled
Utility usage second. P&A please and FH. A one disc winner.
Some wind and power resistance
Premium plastic Durability with grip
Baseline options for minimization and a cycle. Something soft for winter.
Stable enough to hide my flaws
Extra distance for approach
Colored rims and glow options
Supporting an underdog haha
I'm too lazy to change my screen name again.
Because a pro throws it.

TLDR on the TLDR
The envy just does it ALL.
Feels great, less bag filling.

Last edited:
Ontario Roc was the first disc I used as a putter regularly. That lasted maybe 6 months.-a Piranha for a while after that (Innova should bring it back). Aviar P&A for roughly 25 years after that with a decided preference for Ching process ones for a little added stability, dallied a little with a Nova and a P2 but not for very long for either.

Switched to all Prodigy in 2017. My initial choice at that point was PA2 due to feel but i found it more overstable than I wanted. I tried the PA4 a little but never really liked putting it although I adore it as a thrower. Wound up on PA3 which was the only time I have used a putter with a large bead for any period of time. Had good success with it and some of the best putters in the World use it but moved on to the P Model S and then the P Model US for hand feel. Currently very happy with the US.

Always base plastic on all of them through the years.

The more I think about it there's a few things more in line with your question of how did you get here... or the selection process.

I started with a buzzz as a putter for feel but then i started to dabble with putters looking for a flight, something that I could maintain straight at distance but there was a few too many rocket shots from dubs and a few too many missed comeback putts. Flight was nice but not everything. Aggressive putting only works when you are good, or at least excellent at comeback and in circle putts.

(I think everything is pretty much the same for me inside about 20' now.. putter/driver/chunk of garbage/ block of wood etc.

So like many have said comfort in the hand etc is now №1 for an older and more skilled me. I'm not chasing a flight anymore to up my percentage, I'm committing to a mold and upping my familiarity to up my percentage. "Do the work" as someone said.)

That said, in my journey score was next priority back then, tap ins especially within 15 and 20ft. Hello Ontario champ rhyno. Low aerodynamics and lower scores.

Bunch of messing around with approach putters since the rhyno didn't do that and looking for a complement or replacement. Some great wizards (especially one used superglow til it wore out), challengers, aviars, omega, gumbputts, puttrs, Magnets, whitler, and then the magic for quite a while. Good easy Loft great for a long run putt or flat spin putt. Awful in the wind. It rode as a steady complement, but I wasn't huge on a putter outside 80'. That was comet country. I was still kinda chasing a flight but I had a system.

I had found DGCR, the comet was the first rec i listened to, talk of the ion was making me curious. Worked with the ion when it was invented trying to learn how other people made it do that awesome stuff. Eventually figured it out, and threw better haha, good flight but my hand really didn't like it. Pushing 130' consistently. Went anode when they came out, better but different flight. Pushing 160' but dead straight mostly, tried a 170g one after winning Steve Mawsdley black omega 165 or 170g in a bring a prize take a prize tourney. Hmmmm 5g makes a difference for me.

Tried a whole slew again, the magic was out of heavy rotation but rhyno was still there. I'd learned how to FH it meantime. Basically I fiddled around for another few years sacrificing one benefit for another tweaking stuff.

If it glided nice it was affected by wind, if it was stable it caught cage too often. Got the envy a somewhere in there, I liked the flat inner rim and the feel was good. So good. Kept on trying to use 4 or 5 putter molds consistently... I was also working with 5 mids and probably 10 drivers. Kept reading DGCR mold minimalism, know your discs, the Roc cycle, also noticed I was doing better with my casual bag than the full tourney one.

Got older, got smarter, got a nutsac somewhere in between. Picking 12 discs was tough. Haha. Started playing more 1 disc with the dog. Started getting 200'+ on a putter. Had beat an envy through to straight, had good luck in the yard, felt comfy, worked well enough for everything. Had a great putter playoff and it was the one I picked.

TLDR: Why Throw A Envy?
Comfort was #1. Shallow, Beadless. Bevelled
Utility usage second. P&A please and FH. A one disc winner.
Some wind and power resistance
Premium plastic Durability with grip
Baseline options for minimization and a cycle. Something soft for winter.
Stable enough to hide my flaws
Extra distance for approach
Colored rims and glow options
Supporting an underdog haha
I'm too lazy to change my screen name again.
Because a pro throws it.

TLDR on the TLDR
The envy just does it ALL.
Feels great, less bag filling.

Envy's are in that range of putting that you dont really have to ever "force" them into the basket. I find them to be excellent putters for people who are harder putters vs floaty putters. They do have glide and they hold up in the wind much better. I putted with envy's when I started, liked it for some reason. I can still putt with them, but I enjoy the more forgiving putt I get with my Ohms. Mainly because I don't putt with baseline plastic either, the baseline envy's are far more straight and easier to putt with.

Took me a couple years to arrive at this conclusion.

Went through a few putters (Omega SS, Birdie, Aviar, Soft Challenger), before I realized Soft APX's had the feel and flight I was looking for.

More than any other slot in your bag, your "putting" putter is about feel. Some like stiff, some soft. Some prefer more stability, others like less. Some like shallower molds, others prefer more to hold on to.

Finding what you like is kind of a trial and error thing, and can take some time.

But no putter will magically change your game. You have to put the time in, to really get to know it and develop confidence and consistency.

Took me a couple years to arrive at this conclusion.

Went through a few putters (Omega SS, Birdie, Aviar, Soft Challenger), before I realized Soft APX's had the feel and flight I was looking for.

More than any other slot in your bag, your "putting" putter is about feel. Some like stiff, some soft. Some prefer more stability, others like less. Some like shallower molds, others prefer more to hold on to.

Finding what you like is kind of a trial and error thing, and can take some time.

But no putter will magically change your game. You have to put the time in, to really get to know it and develop confidence and consistency.

This has a lot of square peg round hole feel to the way this is explained when people talk about it though.

Well, it feels good in my hand, so I'm going to keep hammering this square peg until it works, cause I like how it feels.

Though, I think there is some level of that needed, as in the ... mold it a bit sort of thing.

Because I've seen many as well do the opposite where they don't ever give a putter enough chance, or possibly don't know enough how to actually choose a putter that more fits their putting style? So they are focused to much on maybe a gimmick level of approach, even though its not a gimmick, but ... you should get what I'm saying. They looking for the magic pill with no work.

VS, get it close, get one that feels good and dial it in.

But, then, I think as well at that point sometimes people tend to not ever explore after that. "This is it, this is what I'm staying with."
Like.. dude, this is the same disc, designed to be a slight more under stable, it should putt better for you at 30+.

and they all like "newp"

So the overall question is.
Where is the line of "you need to buckle down a bit" and "making sure you got one that feels good and works, or is close enough."
??

But, then, I think as well at that point sometimes people tend to not ever explore after that. "This is it, this is what I'm staying with."
Like.. dude, this is the same disc, designed to be a slight more under stable, it should putt better for you at 30+.

and they all like "newp"
That's where you're driving square and round thinking together. Just because it works good for this pro or that pro, or even you, doesn't mean it works good for me. I don't change putters when changing distances, that messes me up even more. It's much easier to adjust my swing to accommodate the flight of the disc than change discs altogether.

That's where you're driving square and round thinking together. Just because it works good for this pro or that pro, or even you, doesn't mean it works good for me. I don't change putters when changing distances, that messes me up even more. It's much easier to adjust my swing to accommodate the flight of the disc than change discs altogether.
You took that massively out of context and incorrectly.

What I was just saying has absolutely nothing to do with changing putters at 30 feet, but all about choosing a putter from the start.

I'm talking about choosing the wrong putter and staying with it when there are probably better options all together.

AKA, I like how this feels, Gonna make it work regardless, Square Peg, Round hole.

Putter stability doesn't matter as much inside of 25-20 feet depending on your putting style.
So essentially you're making it far harder to putt outside of that because of the disc stability.

However the other thing you're talking about there with changing a swing further out, that's a completely different debate. And yes, It was brought up earlier by me, but it wasn't in what you just replied to.

You took that massively out of context and incorrectly.
I just don't get it. Every time someone answers your question and says, "I do this, because if this" you tell them they are thinking about it wrong, and they should do something different. Seems like you're fishing for confrontational response and not actually looking for people to be honest.

Latest posts