• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] distance line for roc

shane8002

Bogey Member
How do you guys throw a DC rock for a 350 ft drive. I tried twice today on a long hole :doh:and flipped the roc every time on a hyzer flip.

"DC rock" i would assume you mean DX roc.

Throwing a roc that far isnt easy, more painful to me then it is worth. I throw mine up to 300 foot tunnel shots, uphills, ect.

Last edited:
depends on what mold and technic. I throw one that far occasionally. I just dont think a roc need to go that far for me. Its just release and angle. I know a pro who throws one 400 feet with a smooth delievery. Just technic and throw a rancho mold its more stable.

Maybe you are trying to force it/ muscle it out too far without focusing on clean form and snap. I have been improving a lot on my distance lately and what helped me the most was paying attention to my wrist/shoulder position and clean release and a balanced weight shift and follow through. Lately I have been pushing my rocs past where I was getting my drivers just a few months ago and am improving rapidly.

Well I square my shoulders up with the hyzer flip line ans throw smooth

depends on what mold and technic. I throw one that far occasionally. I just dont think a roc need to go that far for me. Its just release and angle. I know a pro who throws one 400 feet with a smooth delievery. Just technic and throw a rancho mold its more stable.

this. a slower pull than you drive with, put some good snap on it and follow through. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH!

I would think that you are simply overpowering it. When I turn and burn a given disc even with a hyzer release, then I put more spin and less arm into it. I think it's crazy to believe that every can handle full power.

Can't "overpower" a Roc. A new Roc can't turn over if thrown correctly. I can push mine just over 300 - 325 when field practicing with them -- usually am not throwing a Roc on the course that far.

What you think as "overpowering" is tons of.......................need I say it???..............

oat.jpg

try a super roc. there more stable.

Try a higher line for roc distance. If you know it's gonna move over. A little more nose up with that hyzer will force the disc higher and to turn slower. It's a beautiful thing to watch. Try and get it to its apex about 1/2 way through the flight.

I used to throw rocs over 400 (not anymore) this way - just cuz it was fun to do.

This. No one should be turning over a new rancho

The weird thing is, I bought a brand new dx roc because my old ones have the fade beat out of them, and I'm definitely noticing some turn on the new one. I can crank my worn ones flat and hard, and they fly straight and land straight. This new one first turns and then fades. Do I OAT the new one but not my old ones? I guess that's a possibility, but I don't know why I'd throw them differently.

There is a shape and plastic blend difference between them. My old ones are rock hard dx and flattish, the new one I got feels half r-pro and half dx blend, definitely softer, and also domier. It's not roc+ either, the inside rim is normal, and it's not r-pro roc, it's definitely dx, but different dx blend than my old ones.

Actually this new one made me think again about throwing rocs as my main mid. But I think I'll give the benefit of the doubt that this one is an anomaly, and maybe get a kc roc for my new overstable roc.

The one or two 350'ish Roc throws I've had have been high, shallow 'S' shots. Along with what craigg said, it's a lot easier to get if you get just the slightest turn and then have it fade back to landing straight ahead of where you aimed. You can squeak out a good 30' that way as opposed to a shot that never gets past flat. FWIW, that works with most stable drivers that can handle a ton of power (Teebird, Gazelle, Cyclone, Eagle-X, Wizard, BB Aviar, ect.)

It could be a weird run of Rocs, that's known to happen. However, I haven't thrown a Rancho that can't handle a 350' throw, just some that might turn a bit more or less than others.