• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

distance question

for an experienced player it would probably be a normal par 3. you can call it a par 5 if you want. it doesn't really matter.
start working on form and getting that distance up!

that depends on your current level of strength and snap. for most, a good disc would be a speed 6-9 understable "fairway" driver like a leopard or river. my first distance driver was a valkyrie, and i didn't turn out too bad ;) just don't think that getting a nuke, katana, or boss (enter any speed 12-13 disc here) is going to help. it won't, it'll just stunt your growth. for now, just try to get to the hole in four shots while maintaining control, and eventually with practice, threes will come.

Definitely trying to get my distance. What would be a few good starter distance drivers?
For a beginner, there's no such thing. Learn to get proficient with slower discs first. Work on your control and accuracy before you get too concerned about distance.

Until you have fine-tuned your disc control, consider buying disc colors that are easy to find. Hot pink, baby blue, white, mint green, chartreuse. Sometimes even these are hard to find in deep leaves/rough.

And welcome! May you have a sudden onset of disc golf OCD.

What would be a few good starter distance drivers?

Any neutral putter. Not kidding... I would recommend an Opto Pure.

If you really want to improve, and do it quickly, it would pay for you to spend more time in the Technique forum over any of the others on here. Video tape your throw, post it in the appropriate forum, and follow the advice you get. Practice, practice, and practice some more. When you think you've practiced more than is humanly possible, practice some more! You'll be parking your drives in no time.

"Par" is immaterial. What matters is how many throws it takes you to put it in the basket. Regardless of listed par, or all par 3, or whatever its your total final score that's important for improvement.

i totally agree on neutral putters and mids to start out with, id say grab a leopard too. Even though you want to get better having fun is important too. getting your mids out to 300 is a great milestone, but do not count out working a driver in too. drivers are more nose angle sensitive. Playing with mids and putters which are more nose angle forgiving could develop bad habits when you start throwing drivers. the best way to get quick fast is to play with better players and watch and learn from them.

Definitely trying to get my distance. What would be a few good starter distance drivers?

roadrunners, beasts, valks, teebirds... i'd suggest some understable plastic to understand the disc flight and your form.

also carry a putter and use it. it will help you out a lot down the road:hfive:

I just recently started playing disc golf, one of the courses I play has the first tee to basket at 619ft and set for a par 3. Should that be a par 5?

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about my home course, which has three 500+ ft par 3's. No noob can reach them. I've only thrown a 3 a couple times on them. BUT, it feels really good when I do.

For a beginner, you should feel proud of yourself if it takes you 4 throws to hole out on that 619 foot hole. Even an experienced player has to have two long accurate throws to get a 3 on that hole, so a 4 is good, IMO.

Keep working at it though, like everyone said. You'll be getting a 3 on that hole in no time.

Course designers should use these guidelines more often.

Amen to that.

As a new player, you need to feel good about your game. Getting a double bogey on a par 3, 520 ft hole does not feel good to a noob. Those of us who have been playing for a while know how the game works, and know how to improve. But the noobs just want to have a fair shot at par, or birdie now and then to boost their confidence.

The end article in the newest Discgolfer mag mentions this, and it's spot on. Either make shorter holes for fun, or make then par 4's, and 5's.

My local course has a 666' downhill par 3. Dammit all if it didn't take 6-10 throws the first time I played it, but damn it feels good when you do get your first 3. Matter of fact I have made a 3 on that hole with only an anode (putter) Most par 3s will start out as 4s and 5s.

I would also suggest getting a mid like a buzzz, roc, cobra, stingray, shark, mako etc and learn all the shots you can with it while it beats in. learn how release angles change the flight of overstable and understable discs.

If you take a slightly understable disc and throw flat, it might stay straight or go right. As you progress you'll learn with a little hyzer that it wont go right until later or stay straight. With even more hyzer it may stay straight or fade left at the end. Now 1 disc can cover almost any shot. This you learn from throwing stable/understable mids and putters.

I just recently started playing disc golf, one of the courses I play has the first tee to basket at 619ft and set for a par 3. Should that be a par 5?

No, it should be a 3. Changing a par 3 to a par 5 so that new players can score par, defeats the purpose of developing your game.

No, it should be a 3. Changing a par 3 to a par 5 so that new players can score par, defeats the purpose of developing your game.

It doesn't have to be anything. He should know that he's not going to get a 3 on it, and should strive for that 4 for now. "Bogey" or "Par" shouldn't be in a player's mind on holes like that. If I'm standing on that teepad, I'm thinking 4 all the way, no matter what the tee sign says. If I happen to get a 3, then I'll be extra thrilled.

I think you're in the great minority in believing a 619 ft hole should be holed out in 3 throws.

Last edited:

Latest posts