• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

distance question

But even a 1000 rated player is not going to average 3 on a 600+ foot basket.
The PDGA guidelines have 600 as the upper limit for par 3's. Sure, there might be more 3's than 4's. But 2's would be more or less out of the picture even for that level of player.

Would make a lot more sense to have it as an easy par 4 for the 1000 rated player - than a more or less birdieless par 3.
?

I beg to differ. That's why they're 100+ rated.

Distance and control tips

Welcome to the game!!

WARNING:
You may soon start skipping school and work.

That aside, distance will come with proper form. For a good form to begin practicing I recommend looking at Youtube and search for (Avery Jenkins drives in slow motion). Stick to the backhand and the flick shot; no threesixties. Watch his forestep, X step, heel plant, and pull through; all while keeping an eye on his target. Avoid throwing the DISC like a frisbee. Your hips and core muscles will assist your arm pull the disc straight through towards the target, passing by your chest, and then rippping from your hand; it's a hard concept to grasp. Joining up with some local golfers who you can watch that are long driving good players, and are willing to help you is extremely beneficial. Stick with throwing mid ranges and putters for a little while. You can practice your form at the house with a dish towel in your hand and if the towel pops you're getting there. Whatever you do to work on your game be sure it's correct and don't try to overdo it or try to many things at once; take one step at a time. You'll be shooting par on that 600' hole within a few months with regular practice. Before long you'll be using a midrange on 300' holes like me!! Really hope this helps.

Good luck.

There is obviously an issue in adopting it from ball golf where it is more or less established as number of (good) strokes to get to the green + 2 putts. The nature of disc golf makes a good drive much more likely to leave you with one putt, than in ball golf - roughly speaking. Disc golf is much more about making the drive - in most cases. And the penalty for being just a tad off can be much harsher. On the other hand we are not penalized as harshly for going OB. So while it is comparable it is still somewhat apples and oranges.

But we should be able to agree that IF we are assigning pars - there should be some common standard to it?

I read somewhere that for disc golf a good way to figure par is the number of drives it takes a 1000 rated player to get within 100 feet plus 2.

I read somewhere that for disc golf a good way to figure par is the number of drives it takes a 1000 rated player to get within 100 feet plus 2.

I've heard things like this also, but there's one problem. Not all 1000 rated players can throw 500+'. Some are just 400' players with deadly accuracy and don't miss more than a put a round <40'.

I am pretty new to the game myself... i have a lot of under stable disc in my bag that do me justice. I have 2 eagles, 2 valks, and one beast. I get some pretty decent distances but in the mean time improving my snap and form.

Using this formula, that hole should be a 4, which is what I've been saying this whole thread.

But yea i think it should be a four or five... depending on skill level.

Par should not be based on relative to a given players skill level.
Par is the standard for a skilled played.

Par is not how many throws it takes a 1000 rated to complete a hole, or even the average of many 1000 rated players.
Fire up the par 2 arguments.

Welcome to the sport, and it's nice to see you're from my area! Which course is that? I was about to guess Begg Park, but that's more like 650'. Maybe the new Vicksburg course? I haven't seen signs there yet. Maybe that tight, long hole at Robert Morris?

At any rate, in case this wasn't covered earlier in the thread, we usually say "Everything's par 3" just for the ease of score keeping. Since most courses are on public land and there isn't usually sufficient acreage to make a full layout with 18 holes that tournament players routinely get 4s all day long, 3 is appropriate even for a 600' hole since a lot of players with a year or two of practice can make 300' throws.

When someone like me plays 95% of existing courses (I don't even have much power; 300' is good personally), I'm still taking a 3 on most holes I play, so it's easy to keep score in my head by having a mental "plus" or "minus" counter. ("I just took a 4 ('bogeyed') this 650' hole, so I'm +1" and that will stand as I keep getting 3 after 3 after 3 most of the time.)

I'm a far cry from a pro, but even they usually take a lot of threes and some twos and fours on courses that aren't obviously too easy for them...they'd smoke the Kalamazoo Air Zoo's course, for example, probably -9 or -10 every day there with par 3s, but they still would say, "I shot a ten down at the Air Zoo." It's just standard Disc Golf nomenclature.

Keeping score would be much more difficult mentally if it was more like ball golf with this hole being Par 5 and that hole being Par 3 and that hole being Par 4. It fits ball golf because, frankly, it's more physically difficult to execute a shot in it (you're making contact with a club onto a round ball that's sitting on the ground versus our sport where you're just throwing the projectile) and your hole-to-hole scores vary much more wildly than it does in Disc Golf once you're considered a typical player.

Incidentally, one place that's highly unusual for this sport and is near us is Burchfield Park up in Holt. They have two tees and two baskets per hole, and the "long to long" setup (back tee played to the longest basket on each hole) is a true par 4 course at over 9,500 feet (when 5,000 to 6,000 feet might be typical). It's awesome. You can also play the "short to short" setup which is about 4,500 feet. Or whatever you want.

I also personally consider courses such as the wonderful Fallasburg Park up in Lowell (just east of Grand Rapids) to be a "par and half" course for me. I'm usually around +9 or +10 for the full 18 layout with all holes being considered par 3. Same has been true for the new Vicksburg course on the longs.

Par should not be based on relative to a given players skill level.
Par is the standard for a skilled played.

By the definition of par, this is true. Disc golf has not adopted this yet, which is why you see short red tees that are par 3. If we were basing par on what an expert player would throw, the shorts would all be par 2s.

Welcome to the sport, and it's nice to see you're from my area! Which course is that? I was about to guess Begg Park, but that's more like 650'. Maybe the new Vicksburg course? I haven't seen signs there yet. Maybe that tight, long hole at Robert Morris?

At any rate, in case this wasn't covered earlier in the thread, we usually say "Everything's par 3" just for the ease of score keeping. Since most courses are on public land and there isn't usually sufficient acreage to make a full layout with 18 holes that tournament players routinely get 4s all day long, 3 is appropriate even for a 600' hole since a lot of players with a year or two of practice can make 300' throws.

When someone like me plays 95% of existing courses (I don't even have much power; 300' is good personally), I'm still taking a 3 on most holes I play, so it's easy to keep score in my head by having a mental "plus" or "minus" counter. ("I just took a 4 ('bogeyed') this 650' hole, so I'm +1" and that will stand as I keep getting 3 after 3 after 3 most of the time.)

I'm a far cry from a pro, but even they usually take a lot of threes and some twos and fours on courses that aren't obviously too easy for them...they'd smoke the Kalamazoo Air Zoo's course, for example, probably -9 or -10 every day there with par 3s, but they still would say, "I shot a ten down at the Air Zoo." It's just standard Disc Golf nomenclature.

Keeping score would be much more difficult mentally if it was more like ball golf with this hole being Par 5 and that hole being Par 3 and that hole being Par 4. It fits ball golf because, frankly, it's more physically difficult to execute a shot in it (you're making contact with a club onto a round ball that's sitting on the ground versus our sport where you're just throwing the projectile) and your hole-to-hole scores vary much more wildly than it does in Disc Golf once you're considered a typical player.

Incidentally, one place that's highly unusual for this sport and is near us is Burchfield Park up in Holt. They have two tees and two baskets per hole, and the "long to long" setup (back tee played to the longest basket on each hole) is a true par 4 course at over 9,500 feet (when 5,000 to 6,000 feet might be typical). It's awesome. You can also play the "short to short" setup which is about 4,500 feet. Or whatever you want.

I also personally consider courses such as the wonderful Fallasburg Park up in Lowell (just east of Grand Rapids) to be a "par and half" course for me. I'm usually around +9 or +10 for the full 18 layout with all holes being considered par 3. Same has been true for the new Vicksburg course on the longs.

No Idea what tight long hole at robert morris your referring to. Maybe 17? But its not that tight. Vicksburg Definitely is not that open. Maybe 9 that would be it. He is definitly referring to begg park.

Fallasburg should NOT be par 60. 54 is completely doable out there alot of the holes are easy 3's. 5 and 16 are the only really difficult holes. Lottsa birdies to be had.

I consider all holes par 3 no matter the distance/difficulty. 300ft wide open par 3. 400ft straight then 200ft left to pin, still par 3. 1000ft wide open, Par 3, 1000ft completly wooded, par 3. Easy to remember and gives you something to strive for on those tough holes.

I consider all holes par 3 no matter the distance/difficulty. 300ft wide open par 3. 400ft straight then 200ft left to pin, still par 3. 1000ft wide open, Par 3, 1000ft completly wooded, par 3. Easy to remember and gives you something to strive for on those tough holes.
Really what you're saying is that you consider all 18 hole courses a 54. The math just becomes easier when scoring this way. Not that you truly expect to get a 3 on a 1000 foot completely wooded hole. LOL.

Really what you're saying is that you consider all 18 hole courses a 54. The math just becomes easier when scoring this way. Not that you truly expect to get a 3 on a 1000 foot completely wooded hole. LOL.

Exactly lol any 18 hole course is 54, 24 holes 72 etc. Never changes to me. I may not expect the 3 on that wooded 1000ft hole lol But I sure will try to find a way to do it.

Its all 3s to me, just some are harder than others.

Latest posts