• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?

Since some people here have completely bastardized any objective standard of what an "ace" is (or isn't), or what the word means, how about we just come up with a new catch all, communistic, feel gooder, entitlement oriented definition of an ace, so every person who has even picked up a golf disc can say they've had one.

1. Traditionally, the definition of ace has meant a throw landing in the basket on your first, and only first throw on a hole that you intend to play out during an actual round of play. We here at the Institute for Self Esteem and Healing Egos ("Spare the rod and buy the kid a pony" is our motto!) feel this definition is too parochial as some people with lesser skills can often go years without hitting one, perhaps forever. I mean, that's just like...NOT FAIR!!

2. If you cannot hit an ace on your first throw, feel free to stand on the teepad of a hole within range and empty your entire bag (perhaps several times) until you get the desired result.

3. That still not working for you? Well then, we need to shorten that hole up a bit, perhaps a lot. Walk halfway down the fairway, place two discs or whatever you have available on the ground and designate that as your tee. Then repeat step two over and over as needed.

4. Still not getting it to stick in the basket because you're still hitting that tree 30 degrees off your intended line as you throw a Boss on your newly created 82' hole? Well then again, not your fault or anything. In fact, they should make those darn things catch better, or perhaps have more than one of them per hole. In this case designate the tree you keep hitting (or better yet all of the trees on that hole) as an alternate baskets. Hit one, and you have an ace!

5. Still not getting lucky? Well then, designate anything that your disc comes in contact with as the basket. Even the ground counts. Now let 'er rip. Whoops! You hit Fido, the neighbors unleashed rottweiler, and he seems pissed. But why should he be? After the disc ricocheted off of his butt, it hit the ground and rolled into a tree, so Fido gets an ace too! Isn't that wonderful?

When doing the above, please resist any notion by a so-called "experienced" player that an ace is more a matter of luck, that it as best gets you two strokes down, some non-ace upshots into the basket are more impressive than some aces are, and that its better for your game to play a hole for birdie. An ace is what separates disc golf men from disc golf boys and if you haven't hit one, you're one of the latter, and if you die an ace virgin, well you'll probably burn in hell.

But thanks to our new super egalitarian definition of an ace, you don't have to die an ace virgin! But of course, no ace is not complete without a ISEHE certificate on your wall to commemorate the happy moment. And for just a nominal sum of $19.95 plus shipping and handling, we can send you one!

And remember, Jesus loves you, but only if you've hit an ace! ;)

There. Now there should be no more of these "is that an ace?" threads. Everyone with their ace count in their signature needs to update it accordingly though.

Ace count: 59,326

If I finish a tournament in last place, do I still get a trophy and a fat wad of cash?

Still feels good, but...

IMHO...yes it is an ace... it took one throw right.

Is it a "PURE" ace? Heck no. Throwing multiple drives allows you to "zero in" You do not get to "zero in" when you are in a tourney or league.

For that exact reason I DO NOT PAY acepots to any person on the second shot...even if that person is playing schizo in a doubles (best shot) format. You do get the "1" on your scorecard.

If that's the case.....YOU WIN!!!! but so do five other cats who did the same thing so you have to share the winnings. So sad!

The more you play the more the odds go in your favor. I've bonked a couple baskets this week. Bashed the nub on a basket today. Glad I had a friend there to see that! Just another inch and it was there. Gotta Rub the Nub!

I've been bonking baskets left and right this week.

It's when you donate discs to somebody who claims all his were stolen, and then find them on ebay a few weeks later.

Latest posts