• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do rollers involve a bit of voodoo?

Do rollers involve a bit of voodoo?

• Yes

Votes: 104 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 62 37.3%

• Total voters
This is one of my "get out of trouble" rollers, Under cedar, over log and through brush and trees - Ended with a 15' putt for an "easy" 3. Had to throw it hard over the first log to get it to bounce over the 2nd - probably had my eyes closed. At Charlie Vettiner DGC in Louisville. Guy in my group took the picture as I was getting ready.

picture.php

This is one of my "get out of trouble" rollers, Under cedar, over log and through brush and trees - Ended with a 15' putt for an "easy" 3. Had to throw it hard over the first log to get it to bounce over the 2nd - probably had my eyes closed. At Charlie Vettiner DGC in Louisville. Guy in my group took the picture as I was getting ready.

picture.php

Now there's someone committed to his roller game!

I voted yes, as my old nickname was VooDoo, and I use rollers quite often, any hole I know I can't reach, and a lot in the woods.

I voted Yes because of the potential trouble you can get into by hitting something random on the ground that couldn't be seen from the teepad. You just don't have that problem with air shots. A good roller is pretty amazing to watch though.

I voted Yes because of the potential trouble you can get into by hitting something random on the ground that couldn't be seen from the teepad. You just don't have that problem with air shots. A good roller is pretty amazing to watch though.

C'mon...you've never hit a tree, limb, twigs, iron leaf, etc., that couldn't be seen from the tee with an air shot? Not to say that rollers can't go wrong but they usually don't do it as quickly and extremely as glancing tree kicks.

The variability and likelihood of an odd outcome for a shot seems higher if it is rolling across the ground moreso than flying through the air. Rollers present the maximum potential surface area to crosswind plus is mercy to anything it could have to roll over on the ground. That doesn't mean they aren't a great shot, but they will never be as predictable as a whole as an airshot.

^ Yup! That Dobbins fellow really knows how to throw rollers (and sidearm) like no other. The last time I played a doubles event in Lexington, I got paired with Jerry and we made some money! He definitely has some voodoo up his sleeve, I swear...

Rollers are not valid golf shots.

Making them "illegal" would be a form of validation.

Rollers and their practitioners deserve no validation.

Rollers are not cheating at disc golf.

Rollers are simply not disc golf.

Like bunting or stealing a base in baseball, headers or a flick/backheel in soccer, laterals in football, that kind of thing? FH can't be a disc golf thing because I throw BH.

You're an idiot, and probably trolling.

I love rollers but only use them for specific situations. mainly shots that have to bend around obstacles or low ceilings. it's all about the percentage chance that your shot will work out. having more options is always better

I've only thrown a handful of rollers...accidentally. I wanna practice throwing them, but haven't made the time to do so. The only roller I did manage to throw ended up going about 100 foot passed the basket.

I threw a roller today. It landed a little bit right from where I wanted but got me pin high 40' right on a hole I can never reach in the air.

I voted no, they are not voodoo because I know you have to practice them to get good at them. When I played in west Texas every week (Plainview, Lubbock and Brownfield), I was starting to get "OK" at them, but back in DFW (where roots are everywhere) I don't even try. There's a hole at Harry Myers (17) and Paschall (7) that rollers would be beneficial on, but for two holes... I just can't justify the effort to learn.