• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SD86 2019 and Beyond

Nothing wrong with the Polecat past 125 ft, and I've probably thrown it farther on the course without really realizing it. I've thrown the Polecat with power for distance on the range, and it's done okay for me. But I don't feel like I have much control of it, and it's a disc I throw for control and accuracy on the course. I'm dialed in with my Star and XT Colts for those longer upshots, so it's all good. And I definitely agree that the Polecat is a fun disc to throw. :thmbup: Love the Polecat! <3

I'm the opposite, where I feel like I have better control on the Polecat with more oomph on the throw. Its pretty hard to throw a bad shot with one unless your form gets really out of whack. We may not agree on much philosophically but we can all agree the Polecat is great regardless of how you are using it.

I'm the opposite, where I feel like I have better control on the Polecat with more oomph on the throw. Its pretty hard to throw a bad shot with one unless your form gets really out of whack. We may not agree on much philosophically but we can all agree the Polecat is great regardless of how you are using it.

Probably due to our respective grips on various discs. It's all good, and all about having the most fun per Steady Ed's adage... :hfive: :thmbup:

It's Winter Disc-Down, so I'm trying a couple of things in my "Streets-approved(?)" small bag.

McBeth Prototype Putter
Champ Polecat <3
Star Mirage
S-Blend Tomb
Lucid Patrol
Pink Panther
Star Cro
Hannah L. CG Leopard3
Champ Banshee
DX Archangel
I-blend Sphinx

I took the Hornet out of the bag. Put the Cro in to have a stable approach disc. Also put the Champ Banshee in the bag and powered down on it for throws I normally threw the Hornet for. For a grand total of one (1) round, this did pretty well for me. More testing needed.

I took the Colt out and put the Mirage in. I have not missed the Colt, and the Mirage has pulled off some great thread-the-needle shots in the woods.

The Archangel is staying dry, so far, and I've had some nice shots with it.

The McBeth putter prototype is really good. I'd like it to be much less expensive...

Last edited:
I have the hardest time critiquing other peoples' bags. Kudos on the lid though, I bag a birdie and it will never leave the slot it's in.

Others have already touched on the sheer volume of different molds and I would tend to agree, but if it works for you it certainly isn't hurting anybody. My only real suggestion would be to examine the approach to mid category. Inside 250 you have more molds than I have in my whole bag. It just seems a bit over complicated.

I do love how much infinite you've got though, itching to toss a Sphinx this summer for sure.

I didn't approve anything...especially not an 11 disc/11 mold bag lol

I'd go:

Luna/Polecat

Panther/Cro

Leo3/Banshee/Sphinx

Last edited:
I have the hardest time critiquing other peoples' bags. Kudos on the lid though, I bag a birdie and it will never leave the slot it's in.

Others have already touched on the sheer volume of different molds and I would tend to agree, but if it works for you it certainly isn't hurting anybody. My only real suggestion would be to examine the approach to mid category. Inside 250 you have more molds than I have in my whole bag. It just seems a bit over complicated.

I do love how much infinite you've got though, itching to toss a Sphinx this summer for sure.

If Infinite would put out a stable-to-understable speed 7-ish mold, I'd be able to bag an all-Infinite bag.

Yes, I am overdoing it on approaches and mids, BUT when this Winter Disc-down (i.e. experimentation) time ends, some of that may clear out. In the meantime, I'm having fun trying things and throwing plastic. :thmbup:

Also, I don't cycle at all, so some people will have four Rocs while I have four different molds, and I definitely prefer having the different molds to cycling, as has been hashed many times on these boards.

It's really not all that complicated for me... I size up the shot I want to make, get the disc I want to make that shot with, then I (as the Nike commercial says) 'just do it'. I know my discs, the Polecat <3 is awesome, and this is what is fun for me.

I didn't approve anything...especially not an 11 disc/11 mold bag lol

I'd go:

Luna/Polecat

Panther/Cro

Leo3/Banshee/Sphinx

Yeah, I figured it was a 'non-approved' bag, but it's a significant reduction from the full 17-disc bag I'd have if and when I play a competitive round.

I could almost do your suggested bag, but must have these things:

I have to have a cheap disc like the Archangel for the hole near the lake. I am tired of losing premium plastic discs to the lake, or having to get wet wading in and getting my disc out of the lake. It's not like I'm trying to throw discs in the water, but I'm a lot less skittish about it if I'm throwing a DX Archangel (and in the future, a DX Beast) around there.

I can get away with forehanding the Panther on approaches, but my home course dictates an understable mid for the bag on a couple of holes, and the Patrol does well there.

If Infinite would put out a stable-to-understable speed 7-ish mold, I'd be able to bag an all-Infinite bag.

Yes, I am overdoing it on approaches and mids, BUT when this Winter Disc-down (i.e. experimentation) time ends, some of that may clear out. In the meantime, I'm having fun trying things and throwing plastic. :thmbup:

Also, I don't cycle at all, so some people will have four Rocs while I have four different molds, and I definitely prefer having the different molds to cycling, as has been hashed many times on these boards.

It's really not all that complicated for me... I size up the shot I want to make, get the disc I want to make that shot with, then I (as the Nike commercial says) 'just do it'. I know my discs, the Polecat <3 is awesome, and this is what is fun for me.

I also refuse to cycle and carry more molds as a result. I really only bag discs to throw them for the "as new" flight. Counting on that tiny performance window a certain amount of wear will provide sounds exhausting to me.

Do you throw the Sphinx as your max d?

I also refuse to cycle and carry more molds as a result. I really only bag discs to throw them for the "as new" flight. Counting on that tiny performance window a certain amount of wear will provide sounds exhausting to me.

Do you throw the Sphinx as your max d?

For me, losing a disc that took months (or years) to cycle in to a certain flight :( is my biggest reason to not cycle. And for me, reducing molds does not interest me. If I can reduce discs in the bag at one time (depending on the course and conditions of play), that's fine, but I have no problem with having as many molds as I do discs in my bag.

Right now, during my Winter Disc-down, the Sphinx is my max-d disc. I've been sneaking a longer driver in and throwing after the Sphinx throw, so that I can choose which driver(s) I'll have in the bag come March 20th, but for now the Sphinx is 'the one'. :thmbup:

For me, losing a disc that took months (or years) to cycle in to a certain flight :( is my biggest reason to not cycle. And for me, reducing molds does not interest me. If I can reduce discs in the bag at one time (depending on the course and conditions of play), that's fine, but I have no problem with having as many molds as I do discs in my bag.

I feel the same way. Playing with new discs, if you lose one you just slap its clone in there and you're good as long as it's not a mold with huge variations. I can't imagine losing some go-to disc that took years to make fly like it does in mid-tournament. Even just mentally that's got to be a real kick in the pants! I could never do that to myself.

The science is settled.

After a good Winter disc-down and getting things sorted out, I have finalized my bag. Of course I'll try things, and new discs can always come out and make the bag.

The Core Bag (12 discs) is what I will always have, as I use all of these discs on the home course and usually use them all on other courses in the area. The Full Bag (Core Bag + up to 5 more discs for 17 total) is what I would use in leagues, tournaments (should I enter any), and courses I've never played before. I likely will not carry every one of them, but up to 5 of them depending on the course and conditions.

The Core Bag (Streets no-approved)
Marshal - main putting putter.
Polecat - approach putter.
Mirage - understable approach putter for straight and turnover shots.
Tomb - stable approach putter for straight to slightly overstable shots.
Patrol - understable midrange, great for turnover/anny shots.
Pink Panther - straight midrange, also utility disc for rollers, forehands, 'get out of jail', etc.
Green Hornet - overstable midrange.
Leopard3 - main fairway driver.
Banshee/Jen Allen Teebird - overstable fairway driver, also shorter shots requiring a fade and/or skip. The Banshee likely will win out, but the J.A. Teebird does well, also.
Sphinx - fast becoming main fairway/control driver. Straight-to-understable shots.
Shryke/Pharaoh - Pro Shryke and I-blend Pharaoh are interchangeable. Main distance driver.

DX Archangel/Sidewinder/Beast - for use around places the DG gods might demand sacrifice.

The Full Bag (Core Bag + up to 5 of these discs)
Harp - very overstable approach disc
Cro - straight-to-slightly-overstable mid.
River - understable fairway driver for turnover shots.
SL - for throws into headwinds. Love this disc, but don't get to use it much.
Wave - liking how this flies, but if Innova will ever give us Star Mysteres in lighter weights, I'll probably bag the Mystere again.
Destroyer - in Pro plastic, it's good in strong headwinds.

Why do you not get to use the SL much?

I've been looking for a *SL...I'd like to compare it to my Orc which is currently my main driver. I may have to pick up a Pro Starfire though since I can't seem to locate an SL.

Why do you not get to use the SL much?

I've been looking for a *SL...I'd like to compare it to my Orc which is currently my main driver. I may have to pick up a Pro Starfire though since I can't seem to locate an SL.

I throw the SL into headwinds. In tailwinds and calm conditions I'll throw the Sphinx or Shryke. So the ideal conditions for the SL don't always happen for me.

Innova made some commemorative Val Jenkins 4x Star SLs when she won her fourth title; you might see if any are being sold on eBay or somewhere like that. Infinite Discs was carrying some factory second Star SLs and factory second Pro SLs, from which I stocked up... but I don't know if they have any right now.

My limited experience with the Orc (sample of one Star Orc) is that the Orc is more overstable than the SL, but a similar amount of glide. The Pro Starfires, (which, for those who don't know, are SLs) should be good, too, especially as the Pro plastic has been pretty good in a lot of discs these last few months. Pro discs aren't expensive, so I'd recommend trying one.

My limited experience with the Orc (sample of one Star Orc) is that the Orc is more overstable than the SL, but a similar amount of glide.

Thanks! That's basically what I was hoping for. I really like the Orc, but was looking for a bit less fade.

My tax return wasn't exactly what I was expecting this year, so I have a delayed purchase planned for this spring. I have a good size list already, and will be adding a Pro Starfire to it.

How are you filling the Hornet's gap?

Are you powering down your Banshee for OS midrange shots?

Yes. Today I played with the Jen Allen CG Teebird (instead of the Banshee) in a consistently stiff wind, and I had some really good shots with it. The Harp also performed well in the wind.

Is this a Pro SL or where are you finding the premium ones?

Good Pro is semi-premium for me, and some very good stuff. Anyhoo, what happened was that I had some older F2 Pro SLs from the Proshop. Then Valarie Jenkins Doss won her fourth World title. THANK YOU, VAL!!! I say that because Innova came out with some commemorative Star SLs, and I stocked up. Then the Proshop (and Infinite Discs) had a number of F2 Pro and Star SLs, and in the 167-ish weights that I love best, and I stocked up some more. My current favorite is one of those F2 Star SLs, but they're all good. <3

Your core bag is looking good!

I am not familiar with the Mirage and the Tomb. But with Polecat, Mirage, Tomb and Harp that is alot of throwing putters. There has got to be some sort of overlap.

I am sad to see the Green Hornet go.

I'd try to make a determination between the Champ Banshee and the Jen Allen TeeBird as well between the Shryke and the Pharaoh. You could put the others in your "full" bag. It's nice to have a trusted set of discs that you can swap in and out as necessary.

Latest posts