• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you go by the pars on the sign or all 3s?

Do you go by all par 3s or by the tee signs?

• All par 3s

Votes: 96 47.8%
  • Tee sign

Votes: 73 36.3%
  • Par 4s and 5s after certain distances (ex. par 4 over 600ft)

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • I don't keep score

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

johnnyfoodstamp

Birdie Member
So my friends and I play all par 3s but at certain courses there are par 4s or even some par 5s listed on the tee sign. I have watched disc golf tournaments and there are 4s and 5s but usually over 600ft for 4s and 1000ft for 5s. All the tournaments I've played in go by all 3s. So what do you go by?

none of the tee signs at my local course have pars on them. at least i don't think they do. i haven't looked at a tee sign in a while :\

but everything is a par 3.

Everything is par 3

2 reasons for this, the math is easier, and that way if I ever play a tourney and they play the holes as 4s or 5s, I'll just have that much of a better score.

I never bother with the signs. They're usually oriented towards noobs and aren't standardized in any way.

I just play all Par 3's, but in doing so I'm not actually saying that's what the pars are for those holes. Its just a way to make +/- score keeping in my head simple.

At Blue ribbion pines i go of the signs but at any ather small course all par 3s

I go by the tee sign, unless of course, it's obvious they are trying to make it beginner friendly by giving more strokes.

For weekly doubles, though, we go my par 3 as there are multiple layouts, so this makes it easier to ensure everyone is scoring the same.

^^ this. Truth is, it really doesn't matter. Lowest score wins.

Yep, I dare not question the designer's judgment of par. ;)

I'll only play all as 3s if there's no par posted. Playing everything as par 3 is outdated, hippie golf. :popcorn:

Ah..but playing everything as a par 3 (or relative to posted par) makes it very easy to keep score in your head. I rarely use a scorecard for casual play, in fact, we don't use them for doubles, either.

Unless it's my home course - Young's Run - I play by what the sign says (I'm only an Intermediate Am after all). Sometimes if I'm feeling poopy I'll go by the signs at my home course too, but for 99% of the rounds I play here I go par 3s.

If you shoot a 56 playing par 3's and the next day you shoot a 56 playing by the tee signs, which 56 is better? Me thinks they're the same.:)

I've never had trouble just keeping score in my head by the total count....I just add my total throws as I play. To me it's easier than keeping over/under par numbers in my head. Just adding as I go rather than constantly adding and subtracting relative to par. So I might be at 29 after 7 holes for instance instead of +3
In my region during comp rounds, there are several legit par 4s and a few par 5s so keeping score by 3s is ludicrous and during doubles rounds no one ever plays by keeping it all par 3.

There are a handful of holes where it is obvious that it is next to impossible to get a 3. I play those by the listed par. Beyond that, I PLAY everything else like they are par 3s whether they are listed as that or not.

What I do is drive in hopes that I can be in putting range. If that does not work, I make sure I approach in such a way where saving a 3 should be easy. Like I said earlier, there are a few holes where I cannot consistently hit a hole in 3 but they are few and far between.

When we are done, then I will worry about the scorecard. If it was listed as Par 4, then if I got a 3 I guess I got a birdie. Otherwise, I do not worry about listed par while I play, I just try to hit every hole in 3.

Latest posts