• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you go by the pars on the sign or all 3s?

Do you go by all par 3s or by the tee signs?

• All par 3s

Votes: 96 47.8%
  • Tee sign

Votes: 73 36.3%
  • Par 4s and 5s after certain distances (ex. par 4 over 600ft)

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • I don't keep score

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Come play the IDGC or Flyboy with your par 3s.

If the course is tough I will play signs as usually they have decent pars set...there are other places where I have gotten -14 sign par and I am an even to +5 player so that is bunkaroo.

I went by the signs until I could shoot under par going by all 3s. Now I go by all 3s. :)

well i go by the signs, even though i shouldn't at my home course cuz anything like 290 and over is a par 4. I just like the feeling of getting like 14 under par , and i thought it was so cool when i got a 2 on a par 5 395 hole.

everything par 3 for simplicity. In disc golf currently its just a base for easier score keeping. If we get some standards set and enforced on pars then par could be used to compare players course to course. Right now its impossible. I have played Par 54 courses I was unhappy with a -6 and some I was estatic coming out of even.

at my old home course (pecan park, Nac. TX with the old layout) there were 6 holes marked par 4 and i have made it in 2 for all 6 before more than once. im by far not the worst player out there, but i shouldnt be making multiple eagles in one round lol. we just went by all 3's at that course. hell, my best score there was -13 all 3's (original layout, not the new hole layout), so if you factor in the "par 4's" that would mean i shot a -19. in my opinion there is something wrong when someone can shoot a -19.

There is this site that posts all the pars for almost every course! It's dgcoursereview.com. You can even print out scorecards.

Pars at some courses are easier than others and vice versa. But certain holes that are 700+ ft can't be a legitimate par 3. 2 - 350 ft shots to park it?? If it takes great shots to get a birdie I consider the par correct. But if you can shank a drive, lay up, tap in, the hole shouldn't be a 4.

If you use 3's for score keeping I can see that. But posted par is posted par. Just because Tiger can eagle almost every 5 at St. Andrews doesn't make them a par 3.

If the course is tough I will play signs as usually they have decent pars set...there are other places where I have gotten -14 sign par and I am an even to +5 player so that is bunkaroo.

There are top pros who can play Flyboy in the low 80's.

What I usually do is play everything as Par x, where x is a randomly generated rational number between e and pi. Then I take the root-mean-square of these numbers, apply an algorithm I borrowed from the BCS ranking computers, correct back for the Boise State Blue Field Factor that doesn't apply to disc golf, and compare the variance between these results, SSA and the typical Advanced Masters' score at B-tier events. Then I roll a couple of d20's, decide how I feel, and stop caring about what number par is.

Par is not a number. It's an emotion.

I've never had trouble just keeping score in my head by the total count....I just add my total throws as I play. To me it's easier than keeping over/under par numbers in my head. Just adding as I go rather than constantly adding and subtracting relative to par. So I might be at 29 after 7 holes for instance instead of +3
In my region during comp rounds, there are several legit par 4s and a few par 5s so keeping score by 3s is ludicrous and during doubles rounds no one ever plays by keeping it all par 3.
If you have a super hard course where you're likely to rack up a lot of 4's, 5's, and worse, that method will probably work better. It might also work better if one is new and isn't carding a lot of 3's yet. That's the method that I started with. But once I got better, as most of us get better, 3's began to get very common, and its just easier to keep a +/- total in your head and ignore them when they inevitably come. If you have a hole or two that is a legit par 4 and you get a 4, that's still +1. It also makes adding up a group scorecard littered with 3's go so much faster.

I mean, I threw 36 holes after getting off work this morning. 25 of them were 3's.

There are top pros who can play Flyboy in the low 80's.

What I usually do is play everything as Par x, where x is a randomly generated rational number between e and pi. Then I take the root-mean-square of these numbers, apply an algorithm I borrowed from the BCS ranking computers, correct back for the Boise State Blue Field Factor that doesn't apply to disc golf, and compare the variance between these results, SSA and the typical Advanced Masters' score at B-tier events. Then I roll a couple of d20's, decide how I feel, and stop caring about what number par is.

Par is not a number. It's an emotion.

27*3=81 so I guess they shoot over most of the time. :D

Counting plus or minus versus 3 is a useful scorekeeping method, but should not be considered an assessment of par for a course or a hole.

27*3=81 so I guess they shoot over most of the time. :D

Makes me fell good too, until I count up my score and find myself a dozen or more strokes over 100 at Flyboy. If there's one thing that course does really well, other than give all comers a freaking fun time, it's that it spreads out the scores rather thoroughly.

I haven't played Flyboy, but all three courses at the IDGC, as well as Nevin, Renny (both layouts), Hornet's Nest (both layouts), Winthrop Gold, even Rankin Lake all have legit par 4's and some par 5's in there too.

I realize that there are areas of the country that don't have courses with legit par 4's and 5's. For what it's worth, I didn't play any holes I would consider par 4's while I was in Florida, and I missed the different kind of challenge a well designed multi-throw hole is, with well defined landing zones. My understanding is that Cliff Stephens has a couple on the back nine (12), but I only got to play the front. Of course ending up at the IDGC made up for it.

When I play a par 54 course I use the all 3s method....but my home course is a par 68. There are only 6 par 3 s and they are tough birdies...so I will never use the par 3 method. Doss, Climo, Jenkins, etc all shot well over par by the par 3 method. I will never be that good. The doubles record is a 17 under, 51 I think.

On an 18 hole course if I expect to shoot between 30-50 everything is par 2, 50-70 par 3, 70+ par 4. I suppose if for some reason I expected to shoot 90+ par 5, but I haven't experienced that. In most cases this means I have to remember a single digit number. This is just for score keeping...at the end of the day if I'm +4 playing everything as par 3 I shot 58. If I make 4 on a 700' hole I don't feel like I've bogeyed, but for score keeping purposes that counts +1. Until I play a course with enough varied pars to make me carry a score card I'll use this method indefinately.

I will say this, 2 of the 3 courses I played in OH had some of the worst pars I'd ever seen, should have been all par 3s without a doubt. Most of NC's courses are surprisingly legitimately parred.

All par 3's unless the course has legitimate par 4's and 5's.

A lot of courses around here have stupid pars, like Wingfoot State Park. There's not a hole on that course that's a true par 4. Deis Hill on the other hand has true par 4's from the longer tee's.

Latest posts