• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you go by the pars on the sign or all 3s?

Do you go by all par 3s or by the tee signs?

• All par 3s

Votes: 96 47.8%
  • Tee sign

Votes: 73 36.3%
  • Par 4s and 5s after certain distances (ex. par 4 over 600ft)

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • I don't keep score

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
All par 3's unless the course has legitimate par 4's and 5's.

A lot of courses around here have stupid pars, like Wingfoot State Park. There's not a hole on that course that's a true par 4. Deis Hill on the other hand has true par 4's from the longer tee's.

Yeah, Blendon Woods Metro Park has the worst pars I'd ever seen.

DGCR failed me on that one, It rated like a 3.5 when I hit it up. :\

All threes unless an obvious four; not to many fives around my neck of the woods. Example: Boom Field has some silly mid-200' par 4s. Their 750' hole 4 is wide open and should be a legit par 4 (listed as a par 5). Pretty much never play the listed pars on the signs unless you want to shoot a -20 for laughs. I count vs par, makes it easier to keep track of my play over the round.

Damn, pay to play <200' holes? Pfft.

the Pars on Wingfoot are so bad. Anything with water is an automatic par 4, despite both the water holes being ace runs. The three 370'+ holes are par 4's even though two of them are literally wide open fields with no trees in the way and one even has an elevated teepad to make it play more like 335'. Then there's a 310' easy 3 that's listed as a 4, and a 300' hyzer shot hole that I've hit metal on twice that's listed as a 4.

I haven't played Flyboy, but all three courses at the IDGC, as well as Nevin, Renny (both layouts), Hornet's Nest (both layouts), Winthrop Gold, even Rankin Lake all have legit par 4's and some par 5's in there too.

I realize that there are areas of the country that don't have courses with legit par 4's and 5's. For what it's worth, I didn't play any holes I would consider par 4's while I was in Florida, and I missed the different kind of challenge a well designed multi-throw hole is, with well defined landing zones. My understanding is that Cliff Stephens has a couple on the back nine (12), but I only got to play the front. Of course ending up at the IDGC made up for it.

try to hit the magnolia on your next trip to florida. par 62. the best tournament round from the blue tees thus far is 64 and the best i've heard of period is a 57.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1853

count by 3's and at the end get my total score. If I shoot a 52 by keeping track using the 3's method it is the same as being 6 under sign par and shooting a 52. Both are same score,

i play as either all 3's were the signs are really off
but there are a few courses where the pars are right on with a few 4's and 5's

all par 3's makes it easier to keep track of your score. when i first started using "pro par", it created this pressure to score lower. a 5 is no longer acceptable.

count by 3's and at the end get my total score. If I shoot a 52 by keeping track using the 3's method it is the same as being 6 under sign par and shooting a 52. Both are same score,

Exactly. 52 always equals 52 no matter what the signs say par is. It's just easier to keep track of +/- based on 3s for all. 3 x how ever many holes and your +/- gives you your score.

There are top pros who can play Flyboy in the low 80's.

What I usually do is play everything as Par x, where x is a randomly generated rational number between e and pi. Then I take the root-mean-square of these numbers, apply an algorithm I borrowed from the BCS ranking computers, correct back for the Boise State Blue Field Factor that doesn't apply to disc golf, and compare the variance between these results, SSA and the typical Advanced Masters' score at B-tier events. Then I roll a couple of d20's, decide how I feel, and stop caring about what number par is.

Par is not a number. It's an emotion.

4934040974_d008832801_m.jpg

sign usually or what is listed here on the site. I am not one of the all par 3 crowd.

it's a fun croud. We are very accepting. Come joinn us. See how easy it is to keep score using all 3's. In the end if you shoot 54 it doesn't matter how you counted to get there. Or if you want to feel really good. Make every thing par 5 That way course par is 90 and you can finish 20 under par!

it's a fun croud. We are very accepting. Come joinn us. See how easy it is to keep score using all 3's. In the end if you shoot 54 it doesn't matter how you counted to get there. Or if you want to feel really good. Make every thing par 5 That way course par is 90 and you can finish 20 under par!

that would actualy be 36 under par.

I play the par posted (if there is one) because it's easier to keep score. One over/one under, two over/under, etc. after each hole. Doesn't matter if par is three, four, or fifty -- if you keep track of over and under for each hole, keeping score in your head is simple.

If you shoot a 56 playing par 3's and the next day you shoot a 56 playing by the tee signs, which 56 is better? Me thinks they're the same.:)

If I shoot 56 at Armco Park on Monday and 56 at Idlewild on Friday, which 56 is better? Methinks they're NOT the same at ALL, whether you play all par 3s or play the tee signs. I guess it depends on how many different courses you play, and whether you want to compare your rounds.

I've been playing par 3 on everything forever. At the end of the day it's all about the lowest score anyway so that's the way we do it. Although lately I've been playing the "Green Monster" at Patapsco and calling every hole a 4 seems more reasonable if I want to gauge how well I'm shooting but still, in the end it's all about the lowest score.

There are top pros who can play Flyboy in the low 80's.

What I usually do is play everything as Par x, where x is a randomly generated rational number between e and pi. Then I take the root-mean-square of these numbers, apply an algorithm I borrowed from the BCS ranking computers, correct back for the Boise State Blue Field Factor that doesn't apply to disc golf, and compare the variance between these results, SSA and the typical Advanced Masters' score at B-tier events. Then I roll a couple of d20's, decide how I feel, and stop caring about what number par is.

Par is not a number. It's an emotion.

That's all well and good... but you forgot one big thing.

i2.png