• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you have a nemesis course?

ishelost

I have played a lot of courses and plan to play many more. I am an intermediate player and have favorite and lesser loved courses. My question to everyone is do you have a course that for some reason you haven't been able to master?

Not necessarily a really difficult course, but one that just has your number for some reason. Mine is Gillies Creek in Richmond, Va. It is not a very difficult course and I usually shoot around even par. But I know with my ability level I should be shooting in the low 50s every time. Our league plays there so I really want to own the course but unfortunately it is the other way around. How about you?

Indian Hills DGC used to be that way for me. I was just so scared of losing discs since you throw over or by ponds in 5 of the 18 holes. I could still shoot around par, and I think with time and confidence I could shoot a few under.

the darkside at the grange owns me like a puppet. every year at the virginia open i play 1000 rated golf on the sunnyside and sub-900 on the darkside.

My home course of River Grove Park in Kingwood, TX. I have played this course over 100 times, and the best I ever did was a 57. I want to at least par this bastard so bad.

Mt. Airy in Cincinnati. On paper, just looking at the holes individually, this course shouldn't be so difficult. It kicks my butt every time. I go to Idlewild expecting to get crushed but just don't accept that at Airy. It's a great course where par is a GREAT score, but I can't break mid 70s. I rarely play it because it's so frustrating, and it's only five minutes from my house.

Hornet's Nest in Charlotte, NC. I do good on some holes, but some of the others just kick my behind. For a course I've played alot it kills me. My rounds are like a rollercoaster there. And #16 is my worst personal hole I've ever played. I have one par on that hole...the rest of the time I'm lucky if I come home with a 6. My best score ever at the nest was +6(64). And I'm talking about the regular layout, don't even get me started on the Web layout.

A local pro shot a 41 on this course....how?

I didn't mention Renny because I think it kicks everyone's butt. And I haven't played it near as much as Hornet's Nest.

My home course in Bloomington IN was Crestmont park. Nearly all the holes are wooded but fairly short, and all but two of the holes are very attainable birdies. The better league players consistently shoot double digits under par (54), but I rarely shoot better than 1 or 2 under which realy frustrates me. Some rounds I'll shoot one birdie and no bogies, others I'll have 5 birdies and 4 bogies, so I know I can pick up those strokes I just can't seem to put together a complete round there.

East Metro. That course swallows discs whole. If it doesn't swallow them, it chews them up with all its cactus and spits them back.

Ammon Ranch, I have a love hate relationship with this course. It's beutiful and some of my favorite tournys are held there. It's just too f%#^g long. The huge par 5's across the fields kill me. I know lots of big arms that love that course becuse they can usualy birdie the par 5's, but me I'm usualy working for par.

Mt. Airy in Cincinnati. On paper, just looking at the holes individually, this course shouldn't be so difficult. It kicks my butt every time. I go to Idlewild expecting to get crushed but just don't accept that at Airy. It's a great course where par is a GREAT score, but I can't break mid 70s. I rarely play it because it's so frustrating, and it's only five minutes from my house.

Absolutely agreed. Mt Airy punishes me much more than Idlewild. You see the seemingly open fairway crush a drive and its nowhere to be seen.

Chapel Hill puts it in my booty. I was rated 929 after my first two tourneys, my third was at chapel hill and I'll be amazed if I stay over 900.

A great course and not really that hard, I just suck at it.

the darkside at the grange owns me like a puppet. every year at the virginia open i play 1000 rated golf on the sunnyside and sub-900 on the darkside.

I would have to agree with you on this one. I can play Sunnyside well but the Darkside just eats me alive. How Brian Skinner set the record here with a 42 or 44 I will never know. I'll have to ask Preston the exact score again.

But the one that really gets me is Bryan Park in Richmond. I should be 3 to 5 lower but I cannot seem to get it done. I am constantly trying to gain some extra distance in my drives and I end up in trouble.

I am not a PDGA member although I would like to eventually. It would be interesting to see what my score would be.

Last edited:
I have only played Johnny Roberts 5 or 6 times, but I really thought I could have done better on it. I birdied 12 of the 18 holes at least 3 times during those 5 or 6 rounds, and i birdied 4 of the other 6 holes at least twice. It just seemed like I couldn't get more than 5 or 6 under. I even started a round at 6 under through 6 holes. And then on 7, I double bogeyed on a hole that I birdied 3 other times. then on 14, I triple bogeyed. All I had to do was birdied 4 other holes to hit 10 under (That was my goal after the first time I played it), but i just couldn't eliminate mistakes. Oh well. I'm pretty confident that if I play that course again that I'll hit the goal, but It was just annoying.

I would have to agree with you on this one. I can play Sunnyside well but the Darkside just eats me alive. How Brian Skinner set the record here with a 42 or 44 I will never know. I'll have to ask Preston the exact score again.

But the one that really gets me is Bryan Park in Richmond. I should be 3 to 5 lower but I cannot seem to get it done. I am constantly trying to gain some extra distance in my drives and I end up in trouble.

I am not a PDGA member although I would like to eventually. It would be interesting to see what my score would be.

actually skinner shot a 41 with a 4 on the "road hole" (#7-longest hole on course- maybe 450?, probably second most difficult hole imo). if you have never played the course it is impossible to comprehend how good that is. i am currently rated almost 970, the course is 15 miles from my house, and the best i have ever shot is 54.

someone finally shot a 44 this year at the v.o. i believe. prior to that the best other than skinner was 46 (i think craigg shot that) on a course that has hosted numerous A-Tier events and a decent proportion of the top pros over the years.

what do you shoot on the courses at the grange and on the two sets of tees at bryan? you can approximate a rating from that by looking at the results/ratings on pdga dot com as long as there has been an event held on the specific course and specific layout (not a problem at the grange or bryan).

for the 2 courses at the grange- you can subtract 10 points from a starting point of 1000 for each stroke you take above 52 during your round to arrive at an approximate round rating. ( i just happen to know the scratch scoring average of those 2 off the top of my head- the factor becomes other than 10 as courses get harder or easier but 10 is good for the grange.)

Hornet's Nest in Charlotte, NC. I do good on some holes, but some of the others just kick my behind. For a course I've played alot it kills me. My rounds are like a rollercoaster there. And #16 is my worst personal hole I've ever played. I have one par on that hole...the rest of the time I'm lucky if I come home with a 6. My best score ever at the nest was +6(64).

This is exactly what I thought of when I read the title of this post. I am pretty much guaranteed a 58 no matter what I do. I will play lights out and screw up 1 or 2 random holes real bad (early in the round or late or whenever), or I will play ho-hum doing the slow-burn screw ups just enough to not do better than a 58. It is bizarre!

BTW, hole 16 is one of the best holes I have ever played anywhere. It is a dogleg hole - 235-255' flat & straight tunnel shot to a landing zone then right angle turn and about 200' up hill with a narrowing fairway. It is a par 4, but birdies feel great and 5's and 6's happen. Great test of DG skilz! Fly-by video

I do have nemesis holes. Hole E at Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC and #6 at Blendon Woods DGC. Both are tight and wooded right turning holes. And both definitely have been known to get in my head.

Brown Deer in Wisconsin right by Milawaukee. This park is also very close in proximety to Dretzka, but way harder. This course made me feel like I was a beginner again throwing discs for the first time. Not a good feeling.

Latest posts