• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you hold a second putter while putting?

Do you hold a second disc while putting?

• Total voters
Just started holding my backup putter in my offhand when I putt during rounds. Made that decision based on putting like I practice. At first I tried keeping my extra putters on the ground or a stool while I practiced, to mimic only one putter in hand like I did during a round. But I quickly grew tired of that as it was much easier just to continue holding the stack in my off hand. So I made the decision this season to start holding my second putter in my off hand during my rounds.

The added plus to this is during casual solo rounds, I'll generally putt with both for extra practice on the course. Not sure if this is actually helping my scores, but I do feel more comfortable with the extra putter in my off hand.

Maybe he was upset there was not a poll option for "illegal to hold a second disc"? Although he may have had that only vote...

I think the pros popularized the practice.

So how do hold the other putter? Fork grip or index finger on the rim or maybe power grip? Loose or tight? Upside down? Vertical or horizontal?

I voted no...

I think the pros popularized the practice.

So how do hold the other putter? Fork grip or index finger on the rim or maybe power grip? Loose or tight? Upside down? Vertical or horizontal?

Yes, yes, and do they touch the two together to create some dual disc mojo?

Oftentimes in casual rounds I'm holding any number of things in the offhand: towel, disc, drink, ball, dog leash as he bolts for a deer...

Serious play I only have the one putter. In practice I putt one at a time and reset between putts. I figure, I should practice how I play rather than vice versa.

I hold a second putter for any putt inside the circle. That's just how I practice at home, having multiple discs in my hand so I don't have to pick one up each time.

Anything outside of the circle or jump putts I only hold the disc I'm about to throw.

Last tournament I played in, we had a guy on our card that held two putters....both of which are stiffer in flex. He then proceeded, on every putt, to tap the two discs together as he practice pumped. It wouldn't be a problem, but he consistently tapped them together 15-25 times before EVERY putt that was more than 10'.

For that reason alone, I'll never hold an extra putter while putting. It was the most annoying thing I've ever seen on a disc golf course. People on other cards were even talking about it....

Last tournament I played in, we had a guy on our card that held two putters....both of which are stiffer in flex. He then proceeded, on every putt, to tap the two discs together as he practice pumped. It wouldn't be a problem, but he consistently tapped them together 15-25 times before EVERY putt that was more than 10'.

For that reason alone, I'll never hold an extra putter while putting. It was the most annoying thing I've ever seen on a disc golf course. People on other cards were even talking about it....

That is truly awful, and I'm not being sarcastic at all.

Haha. That's terrible/hilarious. Did he take more than his allotted time?

Anyway, I'm sure we have all seen people do annoying routines regardless of the 1 or 2 putter (in the offhand) debate.

But, that guy sounds bad :eek:

... And sure enough putting with disc in both hands seemed to improve my accuracy.

Did you rule out confirmation bias by actually tracking stats? Putting fifty times holding the other putter and fifty times without it and comparing the stats?

Latest posts