• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

do you play for money?

I have, but almost never play for cash anymore. I'll admit if there's a little something on the line I feel that I play better, but I'd rather just enjoy the game. Stress and pressure I can get at work and it pays better.

In MN, 51 is implied, which I kinda dislike. I rarely carry singles on me so I always make it a point to decline 51 outright. People give me crap off the bat, but it is better then someone hitting a basket and having to remember to pay him a dollar some point down the line. The crappy thing is that if you don't specifically say you are NOT playing 51 people get crazy expecting to be paid for hitting pole on a 100' hole. Yea buddy, I'm totally paying you for that :rolleyes:

I did a few times but i dont anymore its seems to always cause problems!!!

NEVER LOST A CASH GAME YET!!!!! HAHAHAHA

It's exciting, but I only do it when there is a chance of me actualy winning some of the money back.

I have a buddy I play for cash with. Nothing extreme. 5.00 for a round or 1.00 per hole match play kinda stuff. We did do a couple rounds for discs too. Other than that I'm casual unless at a tourney.

With money being so scarce these days I am lucky to have gas money to get to the course.

Depends who I play with, but I often play for discs, lunch, dollar a hole skins...
It seemed to be helping my mental game until this last tournament I played in and shot a +1 and +6 on a course I can shoot under par fairly easily on any other day...

lately I've been playing what we call "teebird showdowns" with a couple of my friends where if the first person throws a tb it becomes a tb only ctp.(of course only with my fellow tb lovers)

my friends and i use to do tb showdowns too! i coulda throw a tb for crap so i always lost but it was only like a quarter or something. we also did destroyer, roc, 11x fb and whatever else everyone had that we could showdown with

Just came back from a trip w/ 4 golfin' buddies for a 5-round weekend. I was the one who proposed $10 each for a $50 payout. Not too much sting; still friendly but adding a competitive element.
It was a disaster because the scoring across two of us on our phones didn't jibe at the end. No money ended up changed hands by mutual agreement. But, it was interesting to see the different dynamic it brought to play in the field (actually, in dense woods). The thought of the dough affected each player.

I don't play casual rounds for cash, but I could see proposing this bet again with my friends for 2 reasons: The above-mentioned change in attitude when there's a little something on the line, and the fact that I'm trying to get them to play a tournament or two this season.

I'm going to have to acquaint them with how to mark a lie, though. We all shoot in the high Rec range, but I'm the only one without foot faults. RTFM, people. Agree on your mullies, and no gimme putts!

I am more of a play for plastic kind of guy. Normally in skins formats also so that one bad hole won't cost you the round.

always play for money. usually $5 per 9 holes. some time we play skins $1 per and the occasional $1 for closest to the pin. you really have to make sure you have the score right after every hole!

Triple buck for the most part ($1 front 9, $1 back 9, and $1 for overall) Not much, but it's for fun. Or I've played Wolf (to hard to explain), but it's only for a few bucks at the most.

Wolf is a very good five person game.... Order of players is selected through flip. Order remains the same throughout round. Player #1 tees first on first hole. He then picks a "partner" as the others throw. He must choose a partner after the player drives; but, before next player throws. Original driver (in this case, player #1), and his "pick" play the remainder of the hole together; against the other three. Second hole, player #2 leads off, with player #1 throwing last. If no one is chosen, the last player to throw becomes partner by default. Scoring is determined by "skins" won. I would recommend playing for a quarter or less, per skin; or wolf can get quite expensive. Driving player may also call wolf; after his initial drive; however, ties go to the rest of the field; and therefore wolf is really never called; unless an ace is hit. Perhaps a park job on a very long hole; if one knew the rest of the group were noodle arms!!

This was taken from another thread.

I like to do a buck a hole match play, with the carryover.
Worst case is I'm out 18 bucks, thats like buying an Echo Groove, and does anybody really need another Echo Groove ?