• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play in a random doubles league?

joesouthfla

Birdie Member
Do you play in a random doubles league? if so do you have a separate draw for the advanced players or do all the cards go in one pile?

The reason why I ask is I'm thinking of proposing to my club a change in the way we choose the teams. Currently we mix all the cards together and draw and the outcome is the following: AA, AB, BB. Where A =really good league players and B is everyone else: Going back and looking at previous league results the AA combination finished first almost every single time, the BB only one time, the BB did not fair well in the second place or third place finish either. By not separating the A players from the B players they(good players)are being given a 33% higher chance of winning.

So what I am going to propose is we have half the cards in one pile and half the cards in another pile and ask the good players to all pick from one pile and the B guys to pick from the other. I figure peer pressure alone should keep a really good player from picking from the wrong pile. If someone is not sure which pile to pick from they can pick either one. As long as the majority are in compliance it is a far more fair system.

Your thoughts?

All ams draw a card at once then all the pros draw at the same time so ams and pros are not on the same team.

In Illinois they did it different, pools were pro and advanced and intermediate and rec. If you have a pro on your team you get zero strokes if you have an advanced guy you get 1 and if 2 ams are together you get 2.

yep, we've been doing that for years. we're now doing 3 piles - open, newbies and then everyone in between ... most of the time the numbers work out well, with maybe some minor shuffling of people (ie. but the 'best' 'tweener up in open to make numbers nice). we pick 1 from each open/newbie pile, then pairs from the 'tweener pile. so you get teams like A/C & B/B.

Be warned though - doing this can bring up drama about who belongs in which pile. Have fun!

Where I play, there is no distinction between abilities. Everyone throws their mini into the same bag or draws a card from the same pile. That's why it's random draw.

We do A pool and B pool. Match an A player with a B player. Once we run out of A players, we match two B players together, and that team gets a -3 handicap.

Though I like total randomness. It would be nice to get matched up with some different players sometime, and the B player is usually almost always the cali guy.

It was funny, I played one that
A was alright
B was better
I think it helped the weaker players feel better by giving them the A

random dubs should be just that...random. everyone picks from the same pile. could get paired up with a pro or a joe. this is a great way to learn from better players than you, or the other way around

random dubs should be just that...random. everyone picks from the same pile. could get paired up with a pro or a joe. this is a great way to learn from better players than you, or the other way around

As long as you understand that random does not equal fair. Think of a roulette wheel. The ball will fall on a red or black number which most people think is fair and they have a 50/50 shot to win. The color it lands on is random but almost every roulette wheel has one or two green spots which gives the house an edge. The A player above has an edge you don't because he is able to draw another A. Lastly just because you have two sets of cards it is still random.

we flip discs... completely random.. everyone flips.. plate up stays and down starts another group.. this continues until everyone is paired up. last non paired is cali.

there are times two top guys get paired together, it happens, and no one pitches a bitch over it.

Here it's totally random. The more players you have attending, the better the mix works out.

Years ago we discussed having two pools, but figured it would get contested at the middle. If you've got 20 players, the 9th & 10th players aren't noticeably different than the 11th & 12th; but the 9th & 10th will get weak partners, the 11th & 12th will get much better.

One thought is that if you have a points system that carries on from week to week, the top half in the points standings could form one pool, the rest form the other. This would be definitive, and other than the very occasional ringer, should balance things fairly well.

Rum Village/George Wilson leagues are random draw doubles with A and B pool. It really helps cut down on unfair draws where two B players don't stand a chance against two A poolers, or even an AB combination.

It keeps things fun in my opinion.

Edit: Basically people police themselves on which pool to pick from...if they don't, then the guy handing out cards will do so.

yeah around here one of the doubles leagues does totally random draw, non-handicapped. and each week the same people win.

also when the league first started a ton of people would show up. once the novice or intermediate players found out what happens in that format they stopped showing up. people get sick of donating that night's beer money to the top guys every week.

so now maybe 10-12 guys show up and its usually the same guys who still win. its fun, dont get me wrong, but it does get a little tedious.

Rum Village/George Wilson leagues are random draw doubles with A and B pool. It really helps cut down on unfair draws where two B players don't stand a chance against two A poolers, or even an AB combination.

It keeps things fun in my opinion.

Edit: Basically people police themselves on which pool to pick from...if they don't, then the guy handing out cards will do so.

Same here. A pool is open & adv, B pool is everybody else. A & B on a team. They usually work out pretty even

we did random draw trips maybe the format could work for doubles. everyone put a mini in a hat. on your mini was a rating between 1 and 5. ones were noobs 5 were pros. you ratd yourself. we tried to have the teams add up to 9 or ten points. this way the field was more even, but still the top dogs would mostly win every week, but once in a while a 7 or 8 would win it. trips take no linger in my opinion there would be 25-40 people out there each week

It's not "random doubles" unless you randomly select the teams from one pool. I think a handicap system is a decent way to keep things fair. Assign a certain number of points for finishing position, and start adding strokes to players who reach a certain number of points.

I haven't followed up with how the partners were piocked? I was told it was out of a hat? I show up, write my name, they call my name, we play.:clap:

It's not "random doubles" unless you randomly select the teams from one pool.

I disagree, if I have two piles of cards and I shuffle them up and half the group pulls from one pile and half the group pulls from the other pile. they are still picking a number at random. It's just a smaller numer of cards they are pulling from. What's different is that you no longer have two really good players on the same team.

All of our leagues are pure random. We used to have an A/B pool, but the some of the upper level douchebags started bitching about drawing noobs, so the TD got fed up and went to random.

-note- I'm not saying all Pro/Advanced players are DBs

Latest posts