• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do you stay away from the latest and greatest discs?

I tried the MVP Ion when it first came as the latest and greatest in gyro disc golf tech, blah, etc.. and was hooked ever since. Slowly but surely MVP replaced my Rocs, then my CE and 11x Eagles, Then the River and so on.

I don't think MVP is better than any of the discs they replaced (its just that it was easier to replace them ;)), its probably more mental than anything but i do play better, more consistent rounds with MVP discs so i just keep sticking with them and have been really happy with what they have released so far. I started taking disc golf more seriously and competing/practicing form more right around the time i bought my first MVP Ion, that might have something to do with it.

Trying the "Latest and greatest thing" turned me into an MVP loyalist i guess you could say :)

Feels good supporting an American company with a good success story though.

I like to keep an open mind and will try just about anything, but a disc has to wow me to make the bag. The biggest determining factor for me isn't the latest and greatest mold, but the latest and greatest plastic. How a disc feels in hand and holds up over time is far and away more important than the disc itself outside of the general stats (understable distance, overstable putter, etc). For example, I use Zones for my overstable putter, but only because they can be found (and hoarded) in Cryztal Flx plastic, which I personally consider the best for an overstable putter. Same goes for the D4. I love the feel of prodigy plastic, so the D4 wins even though the mold isn't necessarily superior to the understable warp speeds made by Innova, Discraft, Lat64, etc.

I wait until people are frothing at the mouth about a mold, or I feel I need a change up in a certain slot. Lately I'm hesitant to add any more mids, but understable fairways and my approach putters are a battle zone.

I always wait a few months until after a mold comes out to see what the reviews are before I consider trying it. It's helpful to know how it really flies compared to what the hype is to see if it will do any good for me. That said, the only new discs I've bagged are the tursas and saint...worth every penny!

I've tried a lot of discs, but I've recently started to cool on getting every new mold. I like the feel of Vibram discs, so I get them as they come out. I'm tending to lean toward manufacturers that I've had good results with in the past.

As far as using the slower molds, do you play in high winds? I've found that faster discs will give you more predictable lines against strong winds than the slower discs do.

Heck no!

I dive in as soon as a disc is released, usually from Infinite Discs (great company, BTW)...I throw the hell out of said disc, write a review of it...then generally throw it in the box because nothing beats my tried and true classics.

Big Suprises for me from the "latest and greatest" were the MVP Volt and Tensor. Never thrown anything like them, and they fit slots in my bag that I didn't even know I needed. Especially when I bit with the Roc3, the Tensor beautifully handled OS-type shots I would normally use a fresh KC Roc on hyzer for.

A dx driver is only good for about a dozen trees. After that, it no longer flies like it was designed to fly. Then you have to go back and buy another ten dollar disc. For the price of two dx discs you can have the same disc, BUT it will last a whole season or longer.

My experience is different. Freshies are fun and all but DX discs fly much better after about a couple dozen rounds. The old school classics: Aviar, Roc, Eagle, Valkyrie. They all fly better seasoned because they were designed for DX. For me, the life cycle of a DX disc is all part of the fun. To each, their own.

To the original thread: I do stay away from the latest and greatest. High speed drivers don't help an old man like me all that much. A Valkyrie is about all I can get up to speed, so I just stick with those old school classics and enjoy watching them fly. It's fun to try out some new discs, and I do, but I keep coming back to the old DX favorites.

The discs you use aren't as important as you might think. It really is the archer more than the arrow.

Barry was the best putter that day.

Dude was on fuego with that Nova.

Awesome that a disc so many people on this site were calling a gimmick and trash has begun to show it is not a gimmick or trash. I have thrown the Nova since it was released as a Japan Open fundraiser. Love it and it is a stroke saver on up shots.

I've tried a lot of discs, but I've recently started to cool on getting every new mold. I like the feel of Vibram discs, so I get them as they come out. I'm tending to lean toward manufacturers that I've had good results with in the past.

As far as using the slower molds, do you play in high winds? I've found that faster discs will give you more predictable lines against strong winds than the slower discs do.

Firebird will handle any wind.

I also do a lot of research on stuff when it comes out. I've got 90% of my stuff nailed down but as I get better at some things (and worse at others) I'll tweak stuff to see if there's anything there. For example, my distance has grown so it's no longer pointless to throw something as fast as a Sword on open holes. The Summit really suited my putting style and its inability to get gouged up means I can use the same putter forever practically. If there's one slot you don't want to monkey around with a lot it's your putting putter.

My bag is still mostly old stuff though. Eagles, Banshee, Leo, Polecat, Squall, Nebula is like 6 years old already. My "new kids" are PDs, Ions, Summits, Fuses and Swords. Occasionally I'll toss something like a Tensor in for slots that aren't vital to my game like really overstable mid.

To the extent that the "latest and greatest disc" is usually some kind of uber speed driver in space age plastic, I tend to steer clear. I'm mostly looking for viable alternatives to the beat dx stingray, beat dx leopard, and beat dx valkyrie. As it is, I'm kind of married to innova, because no one else makes discs that I can break in to the point I can get it to turn over in a reasonable amount of time. I had high hopes for the test plastic fuse, river, and vision, but it just wasn't grippy like dx. It seems like all the other dg manufacturers have swallowed the line that base plastic is trash. I'd like to see the fuse, river, and vision in zero plastic, the fugitive, escape, and trespass in classic soft plastic, or the element, apache, and assassin in eraser plastic. THAT would get my attention. O.O

I don't have the arm for warp speed drivers, but I'm having too much fun with putters, mids, and fairway drivers to care.

To the extent that the "latest and greatest disc" is usually some kind of uber speed driver in space age plastic, I tend to steer clear. I'm mostly looking for viable alternatives to the beat dx stingray, beat dx leopard, and beat dx valkyrie. As it is, I'm kind of married to innova, because no one else makes discs that I can break in to the point I can get it to turn over in a reasonable amount of time. I had high hopes for the test plastic fuse, river, and vision, but it just wasn't grippy like dx. It seems like all the other dg manufacturers have swallowed the line that base plastic is trash. I'd like to see the fuse, river, and vision in zero plastic, the fugitive, escape, and trespass in classic soft plastic, or the element, apache, and assassin in eraser plastic. THAT would get my attention. O.O

I'm with you there! Sign me up for eraser and/or grippy organic Elements and Sabres.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned how I have been doing a decent job staying away from purchasing anything new. I would try a few things that definitely appeared to be a tick better than what I already have, but what I am pretty set by what I have in my bag...

And then Innova started releasing G-Star in the discs I carry in my bag.

My bag has been basically set for three years now. I often try out new discs that come out, but nothing has kicked out any of my current molds. I'm not averse to the latest and greatest, just haven't found anything that I really wanted to stick with.

I've been noticing that the more my game sort of comes together, the less interested I am, or rather, the less eager I am to grab up the latest release(s). I'd say my bag isn't really set, but I think I look at new plastic more in the light of "what can you really do for me" rather than "oooooh, shiny!"

I'm wondering if, short of those of us that have collectoritis, it boils down to that. Whatever you're throwing when the game starts making sense, and you understand more what your game actually is, that's what you lock in to.

Last edited:
Wouldn't "greatest" be relative and subject to personal opinion? (aside from mvp discs, of course :|)

That'd be every disc technically. How many new releases do you see described as "eh, we could have done better" or "you probably don't need this, as it's barely any different than the last 3 discs we put out"

:)

I like to buy new discs, mainly to put them through a trial so I know whats out there and what it does. I like having hands on experience with whats being thrown, and its fun to try new things. If it makes the bag, then even better. I do not try new high speed stuff though. I stay away from buying the "newest greatest" speed 13 discs that people claim can help a noob throw 400+ ft. Just doesnt spike my interest. Fairways are definately a fun mold to try though, and I will continue to lose more and more money buying plastic.