• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do you stay away from the latest and greatest discs?

Definitely. Disc golf has completely fallen under the sway of consumerism. Prodigy, DD etc claim to be growing the game or experimenting with design, but really the bottom line is moving product. Companies are increasingly releasing new discs, to generate sales. Obviously, discing has become somewhat of a lifestyle. Disc golf companies give young folks a source of self-identity, just like music or professional sports team. It's the American way.

I'm sure 2013 set a record for most new molds. Yet, the Roc, Buzzz, TeeBird, Destroyer, etc have not been successfully duplicated or improved.

My buddy has bought hook, line and sinker into Swedish plastic. In the last year, he has bought 200+ discs from the Latitude family. Each new release is a source of anxiety and anticipation. At any given time, his bag has 15+ molds in it. He is also enamored with high speed drivers. All this has strongly stunted his growth.

I throw TeeBirds as my main driver. I won't be throwing anything faster anytime soon. Like the OP, I prefer consistency and accuracy. Throwing the same molds over time has definitely strengthened my game.

That'd be every disc technically. How many new releases do you see described as "eh, we could have done better" or "you probably don't need this, as it's barely any different than the last 3 discs we put out"

:)

Exactly. But that is how they will be viewed as time passes.

I like to try everything, but always come back to my trusted friends below:

Destroyers, Roadrunners, Firebirds, Eagles, Leopards, Buzzzs, Zones, and Aviars.

My bag has been basically set for three years now. I often try out new discs that come out, but nothing has kicked out any of my current molds. I'm not averse to the latest and greatest, just haven't found anything that I really wanted to stick with.

These are my thoughts as well.

I will say that when I decided to just stick with what I know, and not keep adding a removing discs, that my scores improved dramatically.

I have only been playing for a couple years and always tried anything new that looked interesting. Which is everything. I went back to basics like buzzz, roc, teebird, eagle, wraith and am happy with that.

the only high speed drivers I carry are D1-4. that pretty much covers all big distance shots I need. from there it jumps to teebirds, sidewinder, firebird.

I'm definitely a disc nerd, buying many more discs than I have reason to. But they are rarely the "latest and greatest" thing out and have never been warp speed drivers (thanks Mike C for your beginner disc selection video). I've lately been exploring stuff like Leopards and Gazelles in different plastics.

My son on the other hand has been on a Lat64 binge, and he's loving it. There's nothing wrong with that.

I've been all over the place in my short DG career. I started on the traditional route of Aviar/Roc/Leopard/Teebird. Then I started falling in love with shiny, new things. I had an all Lat64 bag. Then I had an all MVP bag. Then I went back to a more basic bag like I started. Then I fell in love with Vibram, and that's where I am now. I've probably bought hundreds of discs in just under 2 years of playing, and have sold/traded most of them since. All I have left now is my Vibrams and a handful of randoms.

If I had it to do over again, I would have stuck with the Roc/Leo/Teebird combo, probably replacing the Aviars with Wizards...adding a Firebird and maybe Destroyers down the line. I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about going back to that. There's something very alluring about the simplicity of those standards. But, I also know that I've improved dramatically since sticking with my Vibrams over the past 5-6 months, and going back to those standards isn't likely to improve my game...probably just the opposite.

Plus, being the guy who throws all Vibram out of a single or double NutSac gives me my own local niche. ;)

I just use what ever disc is going to help my game or good for what I need. I ignore the disc snobs and focus on my game than mine or others bags.

ahhh sorry to say i do not. my wallet hates me for it. :doh::doh:

I have gone through some of the latest and greatest.

tern
saint
saint pro
stag
tursas
world
blizzard all types teedevil X2 destroyer, boss katana
warden

i am currently and always buing the newest stuff :wall:

No...I've been trying a bunch of new stuff (read: MVP) to replace a couple of older molds I lost. I've got an Eclipse Anode, Eclipse Tangent and Neutron Servo...none of which are doing anything for me...

I don't avoid them intentionally.

But... The old stuff still works. I can't spend all my money on discs. At least, I try not to.

Haven't been playing near as long as you and I don't try new things. Unless it's broken I don't fix it. My newest disc is a wizard I believe. (new as in release date) Slow and fast mean nothing either. Pros throw rocs and buzzes 400ft. Who cares how fast it gets there.

To the extent that the "latest and greatest disc" is usually some kind of uber speed driver in space age plastic, I tend to steer clear. I'm mostly looking for viable alternatives to the beat dx stingray, beat dx leopard, and beat dx valkyrie. As it is, I'm kind of married to innova, because no one else makes discs that I can break in to the point I can get it to turn over in a reasonable amount of time. I had high hopes for the test plastic fuse, river, and vision, but it just wasn't grippy like dx. It seems like all the other dg manufacturers have swallowed the line that base plastic is trash. I'd like to see the fuse, river, and vision in zero plastic, the fugitive, escape, and trespass in classic soft plastic, or the element, apache, and assassin in eraser plastic. THAT would get my attention. O.O

I'm with you there! Sign me up for eraser and/or grippy organic Elements and Sabres.
Do you feel like Sure Grip plastic isn't grippy enough? I always have an SG Element in my bag because it has the best grip of any base plastic I've tried. Also because it is so flippy. :D

I sometimes will buy new stuff, but not really. I bought the Tern in star and champ, but neither stayed long in my bag due to the fact that a champ/star Wraith goes farther more reliably. Newest disc in my bag is a Prodigy M1. I throw mids when a lot of people would throw drivers, and I wanted something overstable to compliment my Glo Buzzz. Other newer discs include a champ FD and a gold line Saint. I love the FD because it holds a straight line so well and can handle more torque and wind than the flight ratings would suggest. The Saint is great for long anhyzers and hyzer-flip line drives.

But I also have plenty of old stuff in the bag: Champ Wraith, Champ Teebird, Champ Leopard, Glo Buzzz, Sure Grip Element, DX Aero (my go-to disc for heavily wooded courses), DX Sonic, and a couple of Wizards. These have all been in my bag for a while because they are dependable and comfortable.