• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do you stay away from the latest and greatest discs?

no one called you out huh? surprised. Schultz probably hasn't, but Climo definitely has, watch his in the bag video of recent he has disc in there that have been out less than 2 years.

check out post #41 where I asked what Barry was throwing. I just played two rounds with him and paid attention to the discs he was throwing. No Barry beasts were harmed.

I spent a while trying all the old as well as all of the new stuff, then I kinda figured out what I liked and I will try things as I come across them, but I pretty much like my bag the way it is, and would rather have a consistent bag than try all the new things.

I have only added 2 discs in the last year...the 2013 Ace Race disc in 2 weights, I believe it is now called the Mantis...I still call it the Prowler, the name we gave it in our play group on the day of the race.

Why is it that it seems like the only people that appreciate baseline plastics (Zero Line, DX, Pro D, etc) have all been throwing for SEVERAL years? Hmm......

i'm about to start my 21st year of disc golf. Other than the soft magnets I putt with I honestly can't remember having any sort of pro d disc in the bag for many years. There was a few weeks when the Zone was released where I was trying out a pro d version but ended up chosing the ESP version to stay in the bag.

I played a sanctioned round with Barry a few weeks ago.

He was not throwing Beasts.

He was throwing Leopards, still, but they were CE ones, not his leopards.

He was also putting with the Nova.

Last I saw Kenny, he had Firebird, Tern, Avery Destoryer, Teebird, TL, 10X Teebird Rocs Aviar and Sonic

I played a sanctioned round with Barry a few weeks ago.

He was not throwing Beasts.

He was throwing Leopards, still.

He was also putting with the Nova.

Last I saw Kenny, he had Firebird, Tern, Avery Destoryer, Teebird, TL, 10X Teebird Rocs Aviar and Sonic

and with me. BTW, who was the best putter in the group?

MTL, please don't forget the flesh colored disc that Barry was throwing. Walt asked him about it on Friday when we played with him. It was a Starfire. He said he replaced his Beasts with it when the plastic was changed.

"My stragedy wasnt to be the best it was to make the least mistakes." Huh? By best, do you mean throw the farthest? Cause generally new or old discs the player making the least mistakes is probably the best one.

What you feel comfortable with is going to be the best. There's no super change in the technology, so I'd guess a disc you've gotten use to playing with over 12 years will serve you better than one you've only used for a short time but over the long haul it could be better, the same or worse.

The thing is, if every driver on the face of the earth disappeared except for the Groove, we'd learn to play with that.

Let me clarify, most people I play with the goal is to park every drive. That would be pretty awesome but how often does that happen? My approach is not to throw bombs but to play a safe game, keep shots on the fairway, follow up with easy up shots and putts. When things go bad on a 12 speed driver they go very bad like landing two holes over, the older slower drivers are more forgiving, less nose sensitive and less likely to go to far off the fairway if you shank a drive. I think a lot of people would be surprised how well these discs an approach can work. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

I've noticed a change in my game since switching to the Roc3, i can throw it more like a driver on holes up to 325-340 feet (Unless they're doglegs or have higher lines i need to hit). Don't even get me started on the Mako3, it doesn't flip over like the Star Mako i used to throw, it just holds the straightest slightest tracking turnover shot i've ever thrown , and is a new key to success for me.

and with me. BTW, who was the best putter in the group?

MTL, please don't forget the flesh colored disc that Barry was throwing. Walt asked him about it on Friday when we played with him. It was a Starfire. He said he replaced his Beasts with it when the plastic was changed.

Barry was the best putter that day.

Dude was on fuego with that Nova.

I putted pretty solidly too, I might add.

i will try most every new disc that comes out but that's part of the deal with my semi-sponsorship

i'm not looking for the holy grail of game changing discs, i'm just trying to get a basic understanding of what they do

rarely do they stay in the bag, in fact most go into a box in the basement

I agree...I dislike Speed 13 drivers....I have to try them tho. I've used a Nuke, Katana, Boss, NukeSS, ...thats about it

now the only wide rim I'll use is D3, D2, Crank (mainly because I DID just get it)

But When it comes down to it I absolutely prefer my Speed 9-10 stuff. MUCH more control

Plastic buying can be addictive .

^^^THIS!!! Prodigy hit me pretty hard, but it was fun trying out so many new disc. I'm better than what I use to be, but I still have a couple disc that I bought to try out that have become staples in my bag.

Up to two years ago it was a given that I would try anything new on the market. I was even guilty of trying to get those that were pre-production or first runs so that I could have the first one among the people I knew so they would have to turn to me for an opinion on it.

I have really cooled it recently. I think it is a matter of that there is too much flooding into the market because of all the new manufacturers. I could not keep up. My official reasoning is that I want to have my bag settled. I have been pushing the last two years to play more consistently, not necessarily just throw faster and longer. I am still susceptible to a new disc here and there, but for the most part if I even look at a new disc it is because it might improve upon something I already have, not because it is something radically new or something I have not tried before.

If they have a rim bigger than 2.1 cm, I don't even bother. I do like trying out different fairways and mids though. None have knocked the Teebird or Buzzz out of the bag yet.

Over the past year or so I've thought my bag was set then I tried some new disc on a whim and then my bag changed. I was throwing Rocs, tried a Buzzz and now that's what I bag. Never threw Comets, tried those, now they are in the bag. As I improve I will need to probably find something on the faster side that I like. Either that or just figure out how to throw PDs 450'.

Let me clarify, most people I play with the goal is to park every drive. That would be pretty awesome but how often does that happen? My approach is not to throw bombs but to play a safe game, keep shots on the fairway, follow up with easy up shots and putts. When things go bad on a 12 speed driver they go very bad like landing two holes over, the older slower drivers are more forgiving, less nose sensitive and less likely to go to far off the fairway if you shank a drive. I think a lot of people would be surprised how well these discs an approach can work. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

I am with you brother, but everyone is different. I play with some that use that same unpredictable 12 speed to play safe and outdrive my by 150 ft. Kind of shoots holes in my play it safe and take my par approach.

Like many here, my bag was pretty static for quite a few years. Using better plastics and sticking with the molds I have made work for me consistantly. I ventured out an bought a DD mystery box and found some new treasures. Some of the new technology may not take me to the next level, but they have made my game easier at times. Underworld and Saint.

I almost never try anything new. The molds, and in many cases, the discs I throw are just what I started with. The newest mold in my bag is the Ion, which was pretty hot about 2.5 years ago when I started. I'd heard it was like a Wizard in premo plastic, and decided to try it out. I didn't like it at first because of the curvature of the inner rim, but got over that in time. Adding a new disc, even from the same mold, takes months for me to get used to.

I don't have a problem throwing new discs, and I really enjoy it. I love to check out the latest and greatest when I visit the proshop, but when I buy new stuff it's usually to replace or back up my old stuff. The latest mold I put in the bag was a Condor that I bought for kicks, and it's really fun but it's more of a novelty disc for me at the moment. Before that, I discovered the Destroyer and went and got a hold of as many backups as possible. I have backups of all my discs, and they are discs that work.

I'm not out looking for a better Teebird, or better Comet, or a better Ion. I'm still a developing player, so I'm trying to keep my molds consistent and work on my game. Plus, I don't think there is a better TB or Comet or Ion out there. In the future, I might change something and fall out of sync with one of these molds, and I'll be on the hunt for something different. But with all the great disc manufacturers out there, there's really nothing better on the market. There's different, but not better, and I'm not into different.