• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Does anyone else LOVE the Gateway tooling for gripping/finger springing putters?

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
For my spin putt I've found that the Gateway logo is the perfect place to rest my ring and middle fingers and finger spring from a zone of traction. And it's endlessly consistent. Like a thumbtrack for my spring fingers. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to go back to another brand after discovering this secret with my Voodoos. I'm almost convinced it's there for this reason.

That's all I got.

Last edited:
I don't really touch it on my throws, I don't think my grip goes far enough in from the rim.

I definitely spin my putters (serpents) in my hand looking for that tooling. I used to putt double stamped PW wizards and loved that spot for my pointer and middle and the deep double stamped textured stamp for my thumb.

You guys must have big hands or long fingers. I don't think I could touch that embossed stuff on the bottom if I tried.

My hands are big ish, L/XL for glove size usually; may have as much do do with grip style than anything.

Attachments

• A8C10FF6-704C-478B-9E94-539B48A7EAD6.jpg
    A8C10FF6-704C-478B-9E94-539B48A7EAD6.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4C8DFA32-C581-492C-A821-C8DD9B85197B.jpg
    4C8DFA32-C581-492C-A821-C8DD9B85197B.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 31
If I turbo putted it'd probably be pretty amazing. I can't, and don't though. I like my wizards but it doesn't benefit me at all.

My hands are big ish, L/XL for glove size usually; may have as much do do with grip style than anything.

Looks exactly like my grip and I also got the gangly Nosferatu fingers with L/XL gloves. I could probably put my ring and middle fingers further towards the center if I wanted. Maybe it is a hand size thing. I also have ritually practiced finger springing on the couch with many putters and this has what my body has gravitated towards I suppose. Regardless, the Gateway logo has become the G-spot for my hyzer spin putt.

Gannon Buhr taught me everything about my putt in this video pretty much.

https://youtu.be/Edw9Jgm8LXo

Last edited:

Here's my putter grip on a Serp for comparison haha. Taking this picture kind of aggravated my tennis elbow too. Next time I'll use the front camera

Attachments

• 20221213_002721.jpg
    20221213_002721.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221213_002547.jpg
    20221213_002547.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
For my spin putt I've found that the Gateway logo is the perfect place to rest my ring and middle fingers and finger spring from a zone of traction. And it's endlessly consistent. Like a thumbtrack for my spring fingers. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to go back to another brand after discovering this secret with my Voodoos. I'm almost convinced it's there for this reason.

That's all I got.

Yes, it helps a lot, I wish all companies put texture on the bottom of putters, some people have dryer hands, so do not connect with the plastic as well for "springing" the putter, the texture helps in those cases. It also helps when the course is wet from morning dew, fog or rain.

At the same time, I hate when the artwork on the top of the putter covers the whole flight plate, as the foil stamps are not as grippy as the actual plastic, so I either remove the stamp or use a different putter with smaller artwork so there is more room for my thumb to connect with the plastic.

I would like to try a putter with a textured top and bottom, I might have to noodle around with some putters this weekend and build a couple prototypes !

I sanded the tooling off some Voodoos. I don't have any sanctioned events on the horizon....but would they be legal? In spirit, I feel like they should be, but that modification does seem to go against the letter:

813.01 Illegal Disc
B. Allowed modifications to a disc after production are limited to:
1.Wear and tear from usage during play;
2.Moderate sanding to address wear and tear or small molding imperfections;
3.Marking with dye or permanent marker ink.
C. Other modifications to a disc after production make the disc illegal, including but not limited to:
1.Modifying the disc in a way that alters its original flight characteristics;
2.Excessively sanding the disc;
3.Etching, carving, or engraving the disc;
4.Adding a material of a detectable thickness such as paint.
5.Intentionally deforming a disc such that it is not in a circular, saucer-like configuration.

I did the same on a PWP Wizard but it didn't work and was only used on my practice basket. I prefer a smooth and tacky surface over texture. Slicks vs Radials

I sanded the tooling off some Voodoos. I don't have any sanctioned events on the horizon....but would they be legal? In spirit, I feel like they should be, but that modification does seem to go against the letter:

813.01 Illegal Disc
B. Allowed modifications to a disc after production are limited to:
1.Wear and tear from usage during play;
2.Moderate sanding to address wear and tear or small molding imperfections;
3.Marking with dye or permanent marker ink.
C. Other modifications to a disc after production make the disc illegal, including but not limited to:
1.Modifying the disc in a way that alters its original flight characteristics;
3.Etching, carving, or engraving the disc;
4.Adding a material of a detectable thickness such as paint.
5.Intentionally deforming a disc such that it is not in a circular, saucer-like configuration.

"After production" is the key word here. So yeah, they're legal.

"After production" is the key word here. So yeah, they're legal.

Sorry, I'm not following (still working through my first cup of coffee)...
I feel like sanding enough to take off the tooling completely, falls under the 813.01:C,2 :

But in the spirit of the rule....its just some tooling that doesn't affect the flight? Its just that there is no wear and tear from usage that could take off that tooling...

Latest posts