• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

I am not taking the word in its literal sense but I do feel that good goes around...nothing religious, just common decency.

plus1.gif
on just about everything Huff said here. The person who finds and keeps a marked disc usually has no idea how valuable the disc really is to the person who lost it, nor the actual situation that caused the disc to become lost... the best they can do is assume and rationalize.

I think I've only ever found 1 disc that has had a number on it and that was when I was playing the Golden Gate course in CA. Seeing as I live in Iowa, the chances of me actually being able to get the disc back to the person is slim to none. If anybody ever lost a white DX Wraith there tell me your number and I'll see if it matches. Otherwise I would have no idea how to get a disc back to its owner on with no number on it. Therefor I don't give back discs with no names/numbers.

I've actually quit putting my contact info on my discs just to save people the moral/karma questioning. Makes everyones life easier. With that being said, if it has a name and number, i'll give em a try before i toss it in the bag.

The number of dirtbags trying to justify keeping a marked disc that they find without trying to contact the ownercompletely mystifies me. I remember losing a disc in Jersey and the guy who found it lived in Pennsylvania. I really wanted that particular disc back so he mailed it to me....I even gave him an extra $15 bucks as a thank you. I'm not saying that this has to always be rewarded...but don't be such a dirtball.

First off, I'm sure you do have people like him around. I highly doubt that the majority of discs found in your area end up back in the original owner's possession.

And with the comparison you made, if you saw car keys in somebody's ignition, do you figure out who the owner is and call them?

No. The keys were marked with some sort of symbol, but no name or number. :p

To those saying turn it in to lost and found. There is none at my home course
There is no club or league at my home course
95% of the people there are rec, and 98% of all discs I find are DX

Since you guys seem to think jd and I are terrible horrible people for keeping (to date one disc with a number on it) a disc someone left behind, I'll ask this. How long do you look for your discs before giving in? I lost my favorite disc last night, searched for about 20 minutes with the group of four I was with and then we finished the round. I then borrowed a flash light and went looking for almost an hour after dark for it to no avail. I will likely go back out and search for it after work since I didn't care to get up really early and look for it. Now if it's gone and I find someone on the course that has found it. It is theirs. I will ask them if i can buy or trade for it back, but I'm not expecting handouts from strangers. I"ll likely just go replace the disc I lost and continue on. Do you wait around for 2 months without your favorite driver, or do you replace it? By replacing it, you have forfeit the idea of getting that disc back.

I look at it the same way as a job. You can dress up nicely, put a lot of HARD WORK and MONEY into your clothes and appearance, and into your resume for the interview (buying disc). You get the job and you are happy and enjoy the job (using disc). Now if you stop going to work or doing their job (stop looking for the disc), should you be able to work there any longer?

Look up the difference between 'lost' and 'abandoned'.

Consider this scenario. It's nearing dark, and I shank a drive into the woods. I spend a while looking for the disc, and then a park ranger or a police officer inform me that the park is closing, and I need to leave. I work in the morning. I can't possibly get out to the park until after 5pm. Plenty of time for some punk-a$$ kid with your mentality to swipe my disc because after all, I must not have wanted it too badly, I just left it there. We don't all have 5 hours to look for a disc, life gets in the way.

But it isn't a common decency in all areas. I know it isn't in mine. And I don't see the point of trying to convince people otherwise.
I was over in your area this past weekend. I lost a Star Teebird at a tournament on Saturday and only after getting back to my motel did I discover it missing. I drove back to the course to look for it in the last place I remember throwing it to no avail. I just assumed it lost and dug its replacement out of my backup box.

Lo and behold, I was at another tournament at a neighboring course on Sunday. Someone with the tournament staff gave me back my disc. There were also signs posted at both courses explaining what to do if a lost disc was found, namely go to this website, and post a notice on that course's particular message board. I guess some folks in your area do see it as a common decency.

But geography really has nothing to do with it. There seems to be a different mentality on this matter between people who play organized DG in league or tournaments versus the casual screw around players who are happy with anything gyroscopic that flies, who think you're taking the game too seriously for merely carrying a bag.

I find it strange how people who can afford to replace their plastic the easiest seem to have a better attitude about returning a lost disc than those who do not. Some old saying about casting your pearls before swine comes to mind.

I sincerely hope that for every marked disc those with this "finders keepers" mentality find and keep, they lose three discs which they paid for with their own money and broke in on their own time, although considering their mentality I doubt such people have invested much of their own money in the sport to begin with. Why buy what you can simply take from others?

I've said multiple times, I think it is a great ideal...

If it's a great ideal, ADOPT IT!!!!!!!!!! As you've also said multiple times, nobody in your area returns discs. Shame on them as well. If there was a group beating on a homeless guy on the 2nd fairway, would you join in? I doubt it, but it's the same mentality at play. While giving discs to beginners is commendable, it's still wrong. If I took some of your money and donated it to charity, you'd probably be a little unhappy that you didn't have a say as to which one it went.

I've found a few of random peoples discs and have never returned them. I feel bad because I know if I lose a disc it can really be a buzzkill. I just would feel weird calling someone and telling them I found their disc, and that we should meet so I can give it back. I guess I could just say that I am going to place it somewhere for them to get, but I just think that people lose discs everyday and find them as well. Keeping someone's disc is kind of a way of passing around a disc that may have played courses clear across the country. That's just my two cents.

I've found a few of random peoples discs and have never returned them. I feel bad because I know if I lose a disc it can really be a buzzkill. I just would feel weird calling someone and telling them I found their disc, and that we should meet so I can give it back. I guess I could just say that I am going to place it somewhere for them to get, but I just think that people lose discs everyday and find them as well. Keeping some one's disc is kind of a way of passing around a disc that may have played courses clear across the country. That's just my two cents.

What is so strange about calling someone and telling them you found their disc? I have found it to be a great way to make new friends. I would feel bad if I found a disc with a name and number and not even tried to contact the person.

We found a disc last Saturday, called the guy, and he came up there to get his disc, and he played a couple of rounds with us. We had a blast playing with someone new.

Let me start by saying that I have been playing disc golf since the mid seventies, and that in all of that time I have only ever had 1 person actualy call me and offer to return one of my lost discs! I told him that it was no big deal and that he could keep it, especialy since he lived one state removed from me. He insisted on returning my disc so I invited him to come up and play in one of our upcoming tournaments. He agreed and found me at the tournament and returned my disc (a sweet deadhead skull stamped cyclone). It worked out well for him also as he won 1st place in his division! (good karma)

I've long since given up putting my phone # on my discs. I still put my name on them though in case one of my freinds finds them.

Why don't people call or turn in lost discs? I think people generaly find as many discs as they loose and consider it a push. Of course some people are lazy and don't want to put forth the effort of finding a lost discs owner. Grieve breifly for a lost disc and move on and if you're extremely fortunate one of them might come home!

I call if there is a number. If I do call and leave a message and no response back, then I say it's mine, but if one day the lossee calls me up even if it is a year down the road, I would be happy to give it back. I don't have the extra money to replace discs in my bag, but if I did lose my disc and got a call, unless it is my go to driver or my first disc ever purchased, I would tell them to keep it, unless they don't want it.

I lost my first one tonight...I threw too high and my XL caught the wind and SPLASH! right into the murky pond.

Lets see if anyone calls...I might get it before them though because I planned on building a rake prior to losing it.

In my 7 years of playing this sport I have only had 1 person call me to return a lost disc. I write my name and number on all of my discs just in case someone with a good heart decides to return the disc to me. That 1 person who did call actually called me a week ago and I just got it back the other day. If I find a disc with someones name on it even if it's one I like and could use in my bag I still call and return it, cause more than likely its one of their favorite discs, or a perfectly beaten in disc that has a great stable flight, it takes awhile to beat some of these champion discs in and I hate it when I lose one ( luckily its not that often:cool: ).

I've managed to get every disc I've found back to it's original owner. To date I've had one of my lost discs returned. I know a few more of them were found but there are a couple of guys around here with some pretty poor attitudes - and a whole lot of great friendly people. I suspect quite a few of my lost discs are still out there waiting in the deepest darkest spots awaiting fossilization. I REALLY lost a few of em.

just lost an easily identifiable putter at a local course a week ago.

i don't remember losing it on a throw (it was a putter); i think i just left it on the ground .

i'd imagine someone has found it by now, and since i haven't recieved a call about it, i'm waiting to see someone using it......

have returned the 4 i've found that had info on them, posted on the local club's website about those that didnt have info.

I try to return discs I found if I can, in hopes that mine that I can't find, will be returned to me. I lost one in a group of trees today, spent hours looking for it. I couldn't for the life of me find it. Now I know when a storm or something eventually comes through, it will most likely get dislodged and fall to the ground making it findable. I really hope that when that happens I get a call to get it back.

If nothing else whats wrong with doing something nice for somebody else, even if nobody else does?

I've returned two discs to the name and number on the disc, and one to the name and number that was written over on the disc. I've also had two returned to me.

Latest posts