• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone find this ironic?

dmk1978

Eagle Member
I laugh every time I watch a "In my bag" segment on you tube. They usually never throw anything new. It's always a handful of discs they have been playing with forever. A lot of no frills stuff, like X-outs and old runs. It makes me feel like I wasted a lot of money over the years. Is it more important to learn a handful of discs? Seems like less is better, sometimes. I'm considering maybe going this route like a 14 disc limit. And not changing my bag for at least for 6 months. I feel like it would improve consistency. I usually carry around 18-20, but I have a problem with buying new plastic, and tweaking my bag weekly. I never change out the core 6-8 discs. But I feel like I switch thing up maybe to much to a fault. Does everyone tweak their bags for the course or how they are feeling for the day?

There's nothing wrong with what you do. It's fun to throw new discs. Sure, a lot of the time it's the archer, not the arrow. But sometimes, you really would benefit from throwing new discs and switching it up. The end all, be all is to throw what gives you the best chance to score. Don't stick with something just because it's been in the bag forever if it's not getting the job done

Keep it simple, keep it smooth and keep it positive :thmbup:

Last edited:
I've been carrying the same nine discs for several years now. The only time I change is when a mold changes or something I like goes out of production. I also have a bag of about twenty spares. And a box of another fifty discs. Some are spares some, are tryouts that didn't make it, and some are foundlings.

I'm just starting to learn that you really only need a few (4-5) discs to play this game. It's your skill that makes the discs bend to your will that gets the job done.

I think its all about finding a balance. I replace discs with regularity for the molds I cycle but I rarely switch out the discs I don't cycle, unless they've beat in to much for their purpose (I throw a lot of premium plastic so that only happens every couple of years). I also have a habit of buying different molds than what I normally throw but 90% of them don't make it into my bag & the one's that do are ussually just molds I already have in the bag just a differn't weight and/or plastic. I do field work with my new discs & compare them to the discs in my bag. I only replace a disc in my bag with a new disc that I'm trying if it's better than my current disc at the job it covers. But before I even think about replacing anything I do a lot of field work with the new disc & the disc/s in my bag that cover the same slot as it. I found that 9 times outta 10 the discs in my bag already cover the shot just as well(if not better) than the disc I'm "auditioning" to get into my bag. Also IMO if you replace a disc in your bag with the same mold just a different weight and/or plastic type you won't see as a dramatic change as you would if you completely switched molds. Even with my addicting to buy new discs, I find that just buying discs to backup your current molds in the weight & plastic tha you prefer is a better use of money than always trying out new molds (assuming you don't have any missing slots/holes in your bag). Getting new discs is fine, just make sure that if you do add it to your bag that there's little to no overlap (hopefully none) & you've used the disc enough already to know what it does. So in all never trying new discs can hurt you b/c something might work for you better than what you currently ae using but on the flip side if your always changing discs in & out of your bag you won't be as consistent b/c it takes time to learn your discs...it's all about finding a balance.

I don't like to carry more than 14 discs tops, as I really feel the difference lugging the extra weight around after multiple rounds when I stick a couple extra in there to "try" out on that round.

Set up your core 6-8 and then just swap out the remaining 5 or 6 to "try". I have had discs that sat on the shelf for a year or 2 that I went back to, and found myself wondering why they seem to work better for me now, and not before.

Another thing to remember is that while the old beat up X-out a pro shows you out of his bag might look archaic to a newer player, to that pro it might have been a "core" disc for them 10 years back before they started touring that they simply learned to trust.

Another thing to remember is that while the old beat up X-out a pro shows you out of his bag might look archaic to a newer player, to that pro it might have been a "core" disc for them 10 years back before they started touring that they simply learned to trust.

That is my point, is it better to just learn and trust a handful of discs, and never change your bag?

I used to change up my bag pretty frequently, now I only do it if a) it's super windy b) I'm playing the mountain (lots of lava rock that loves the taste of plastic)

A poster above had a great idea, keep like 8-10 "regular" discs in your bag, then rotate out 5 or so, that way you can build some consistency without getting too stale.

That is my point, is it better to just learn and trust a handful of discs, and never change your bag?

I don't know if it's better or not, there's different ways of looking at it. Its almost along the same lines as "Is it better to just have 4 or 5 molds, but have multiple discs of each mold in varying states of wear, or is it better to have 20 different discs?"

Personally, I'd be fine with 5 teebirds, 5 valks, a firebird, a sidewinder and my mids and putters, as 95% of my shots off the tee that are taken with a driver are teebirds or valks.

I would say its better to keep the same discs/molds in your bag and only change them out due to wear. Buying new plastic isn't bad at all but I only tend to buy backups of what I already throw. That's how I came to have 50+ rocs and over 20 teebirds.

Also remember pros are sponsered by disc manufactures so their chose of disc is far more limited than yours. wheee you or I could build a bag from multiple manufacture a pro can only use/promote their sponser's discs. So its little wonder you see pros playing with the same old plastic, they don't have the option of tinkering with the new manufacturers.

I'm just starting to learn that you really only need a few (4-5) discs to play this game. It's your skill that makes the discs bend to your will that gets the job done.

I'm Starting to fall in that 4-5 disc sweet spot. Only now i want slightly different stabilities for such said 4-5 molds. So that jumps up to 10-15 when you throw in duplicates or backups.

I buy way to much plastic, I have to hide it from my wife when I come home.

I did that a few times, but my wife plays with me sometimes and would spot the new stuff RIGHT AWAY. I started running it by her before I buy. Sometimes she say's no, sometimes yes, sometimes its next pay check, but always avoided argument.

I like trying out new stuff all the time,but my bag always rotates back to my regular stuff.

I have found some new stuff that I really like.

I use to use just a 4 to 6 disc limit before,but I've found over the years that it's good to carry other things in there in case you need it.

That's why my bag has so many molds.I'm also not big on cycling plastic anymore. I like throwing stuff that's supposed to get job done right out of the box.

I was just saying this yesterday at Blue Ribbon Pines. I have 16 discs in my bag, but would probably be just fine with one of each of the following:

Champion Viking
D3
M3
Z Buzzz
RFF Wizard

Dunzo

Latest posts