• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does dying change the wieght of a disc?

Albatross

I have never tried dying, but i am very interested. Wouldn't adding material i.e. Dye change the weight/flight characteristics of a disc? especially if it is not even, like a design that isn't balanced?

Busy tonight?

Good question :)

I would say no, otherwise you would have to worry about your disc changing weight everytime you land in water

aarikc17 would be my suggestion if you ever want an expert on Disc Dying

Sounds like a possible science fair project for one of my 5th graders next year.

802.01.F All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness"

If the ink has no detectable thickness, I am sure it would not raise the weight enough to it to affect the flight (maybe .001 gram)

Hope I am helping you more than annoying you.

In my experience, dyeing does not change the properties of a disc.
Weight or flight.

I would say no, otherwise you would have to worry about your disc changing weight everytime you land in water

Though obviously discs don't just soak up water like a sponge, they definitely will change weight based on humidity, the plastic will hold some moisture if it sits in water for a while or is in a really humid climate.

true, some discs I have found in Como Lake are heavier than what they are printed (water logged), but I meant a quick soak in a puddle.

But some dyes show up all the way through...like the factory tie dyes...is that enough to add a gram?

My buddy swears that dyeing adds one gram of weight.

I was always more afraid that the dye was acidic and actually ate away at the disc a little bit making it lighter. Any weight change is close to undetectable if there is any change. Think about it, you aren't adding or taking anything away from the disc simply changing the pigments in the disc to a different color. Does a tie-dye shirt weigh heavier or lighter than it did when it was white?

Nothing to back it up, but very little if any weight added.

Only 8 posts but 4 new threads. That must be a record.

If a disc were a living thing, an argument could be made that dying would change its weight, as its immortal soul ascended into heaven. As it is not, I challenge the logical validity of the original question.

Dyeing an already-dead disc, however, will add a small amount of weight to it.

I tried to experiment with this once. In a short answer, yes it does change the weight.

I wanted just a black disc, so I started with a champ panther and it started at 169g.

I just submerged it for about 1 hour then reweighed it, came out to 170g.

I did submerged it for another hour (all this time was on heat) then reweighed it, came out to 171g.

I stopped there so I don't know how much more added weight can be acheived.

For normal dyes i have never detected a significant weight change.

I bet if you weighed the disc now it would be back around 169g.

I bet if you weighed the disc now it would be back around 169g.

Very true, because the dye itself doesnt weight very much. So it was probably just the water absorbed that gave it it's weight. Next time I do something like that I will double check a couple days later, then a couple weeks later, etc...

if you submerge a disc completely, especially a dx, it will soak up tons of dye and get heavier. I did this with an aviar, my friend with a old double d. the double d soaked up almost all the dye in the pan. If you use contact paper or sign vinyl like i do, it wont change the weight since you are not submerging it completely. champion and star dye well. kc pro and dx dont.