• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does Sharpie marker ink count as dye?

Lewis

* Ace Member *
Does Sharpie marker ink count as dye? If it does, it's a whole other way to fancy up your discs' topsides.

Sharpie does not really soak into the plastic. Much like the hotstamp it can usually be removed easily with acetone.

so how bored are you?

Its just how I mark my discs. I happen to like the dot. It's cheap and simple and nobody in town marks their discs this way.
After 25 years of exposure to chemicals in the carpentry/cabinetry field...Ive kinda overdosed on chemicals...so using acetone to remove hotstamps and the cooking up of dyes isn't really fun for me. I'd love to do stencils and work with dyes. That would be fun, but it would make me sick. Some of the guys here do really cool things with dyes.
As far as being bored...I make art and have a good dog.

sorry, didn't move far enough down in posts. I made a similar simple mark on a couple new discs I bought. My thought was I'd be able to see the spin speed but it didn't work out that great.
champTbird.jpg

My thought was I'd be able to see the spin speed but it didn't work out that great.

I've thought about the spin speed idea also. I think if I Sharpied or dyed a repetitive pattern the discs outside ...like the numbers on a clock, I could get a sense of spin. It might have a stroboscope effect. If I ever try it, I'll probably use 10-12 strips of electrical tape to get a feel for the pattern that works best.

Simple but I like it.

The circle within the circle looks like either candy lifesavers or that there is a hole in the disc. It is your disc, I say mark them how you want to. Life is too short to live by rules!:cool:

for spin speed use a triangle slice like a piece of pizza

i would say sharpie ink counts as dye if it is used as such (removed from the pen & mae into a dye instead of just coloring on.) I've read about people doing that somewhere for certain plastics.