• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs don't belong on disc golf courses

To me their "OMG I AM GOING TO EAT YOU!" jumps..or something...

Well maybe they sense that you hate them...watch the dog whisperer and maybe you will understand that that may not be too far from the truth.

What's worse? Dogs, or the speakers for your I-pod, and the crappy music it plays? I hate music at the disc golf course, but I can bite my tongue.

im against dogs, ive actually had one grab my disc before. i went off on the lady too, asked her if she was blind and didnt see the sign about leashes.

i don't care about disc golfer's dogs, it's other peoples that are usually grabbing discs and ish. I really don't care as long as no one cares that I hit your dog with my disc.

I do feel sometimes that my dog is annoying the other players, however these guys are my friends and too nice to say anything about it so I just laugh to myself.

If it was a tourny or if she started bothering someone that I did not know she would be put on a leash immediately. I have been trying to train her to stay untill after the throw, however when I say stay she comes up and sits on the teepad.

Where is the dog whisperer when you need him?

When I do leave my dog at home I feel bad. My dog would rather spend all day tethered to my disc golf bag than sit at home alone.

My dog (Parsons Russell) is the annoying dog you all speak of. She gets jumpy if someone is winding up to throw, and her barks are really loud and shrill... For about one, 9 hole round. Then she mellows out, and shuts up.
This is easily fixed by distracting her while folks throw, or covering her eyes while folks throw...
She's never off the leash, and i Pick up the poo. No biggie.
She has never picked up a disc.
She WILL get all amped up and bark a lot, once in a while. But, seriously? If you aren't playing with me, on the same tee, get over it. Go tell someone in the playground to keep their kid from shrieking.
All that said, I don't bring her with me on weekends.

Also, while i'm on the pedestal...
Someone earlier quoted the line; 'Only a Sith deals in absolutes'.
Is that not an absolute statement??
Sorry to rant, but It's been a long day. Thanks for your cooperation.

I have a rott. She is well trained with verbal and hand signals. She has saddle bags and I plan to get her a rain coat and have her pull a sled in the winter. As a large breed owner I feel more responsibility as far as training. Though she is fully trained (I'm talking when I take her for walks she sits at the corner and looks both ways before we continue) I usually only bring her out early unless I have someone to strictly walk her. She doesn't bark at all, doesn't bite discs, and she's friendly but I know she's still young and doesn't understand the purpose of being out there (is it play time, walk time, or work time). I plan to have the perfect disc dog caddy, it just takes time.
People please keep your dog on a leash. It's not a problem of your dog running up on me, it's if it was to run up on my dog. My dog gets along great with people and dogs alike- as long as it's understood that she's the sh!t. If your mangy mutt comes thinkin their top dog, she will show em what's up.
Pick up the poop!

Why do I play disc golf? So I can go out and have fun with my dog. She loves it as much as I do. YOU try to take that away from me and i'll quit the game before I leave my dog at home.
And like Beereakfest says, if the dog is not in YOUR group and is on a leash how can that affect your game.
I always say that people who don't like dogs have no soul. I guess Jesus has no soul. :thmbdown:
Sorry, but this thread got me pissed off.

I love being greeted by random disc dogs! They have all been nothing but awesome. This thread is incorrect:)

My dog is of the tall, friendly, he wants to meet every human who looks at him variety. This is great if the human likes tall, playful dogs. It's not so great with people who have fear of dogs.

A dog bite is not nice and even a nip that doesn't break the skin can put a person off dogs (and dog owners!) for a long, long time. So, as a dog owner I keep mindful of that fact whether I bring Shadow to Vallarta-Ast DGC ( where dogs are allowed... leashed, under control and permit in hand) or simply walking him in the city. For city walks he has to heel on my off side if we pass people and I make a point of being obvious of directing him to the side away from a human to give the person a chance to notice that I am moving my dog away from them.

At the course he is clipped to my bag at all times. He does slow me down and consequently when I bring him I usually play by myself or with the friends that know him and enjoy his company and don't mind slower play due to his always having to sniff everything. People behind me are allowed to play thru. Bringing him to the DGC messes with my game. He is a distraction, but I knew that when I got him...owning a dog means paying attention when we are out and about-anywhere.

There are 2 courses in Madison (Madison has strict dog laws. NO DOGS in any city park at any time. Stiff fine and the law is enforced), that expressly prohibit dogs. Posted at the first tee. I do not bring Shadow to these courses, but some people do bring dogs. Some of these people allow there dogs to roam and crap and be a distraction to others. This human behavior kinda spoils things for the many responsible dog owners.

Although I wish people wouldn't bring dogs to courses where dogs are not alllowed, I tolerate it cuz I like dogs, but not necessarily the dogs' owner.

Dog behavior is interesting and I suspect that most owners don't have much of clue of what their dog is thinking/feeling when the dog interacts with humans or another dog(s). It's really their loss.

If you really want to learn about what can happen with humans and dogs, go to a dog park about 5:30 in the evening and watch the wackiness. Dog parks are crazy at the after work hour. People are tired and dogs are frisky. Moms bring kids. Guys with pits wear Ipods or cell phones glued to their ears. Young women carry puppies. People bring fast food (MEAT!) into the park. People treat other dogs without permission. People gather and flirt. Who's watching the dogs?

There are even people who are hostile to another dog interacting with their dog. ???

The dogs...on the other hand are kinda like 6 year olds (with very sharp teeth) at the playgound. Dogs have a hiearchy. Dogs have temperments and personalities. There are bullies, gang bangers, studs, whinning babies,teaser/mischief makers and good dogs. Left to themselves, a group of dogs will likely figure things out with a nip, a growl or even a severe take down. This can develop into something like a hockey fight where the guy who threw the last punch gets the penalty.

Love your dog and be responsible.

My observation is that many folks aren't seeing what is going on before a scuffle breaks out.

Latest posts