• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs don't belong on disc golf courses

What if he chilled in my bag the whole round?

picture.php

That's not a dog or cat for that matter, it's some sort of overgrown, illegal rat!

All the angst about dogs is easy to spew here but as long as you keep your dog leashed and cleaned up after no one really notices/objects in the real world. I take my dog out all the time -- doesn't make much sense as a dog owner to spend hours walking in the woods without my dog -- and it's uneventful when it comes to trouble. Yes, it took 30ish rounds of training to get him to stay wherever the bag was not go darting off after a rodent for 20yds or so dragging my bag, but these were rounds on our own off-peak with little interaction if any with other golfers. Now that he's older and never leaves the bag it's like having a real quiet spectator.

Yes -- there are off leash dogs that can be a hassle and I understand more than most how frustrating it is to deal with inconsiderate owners. You think off leash dogs annoy you -- try having a leashed dog with you, it's like the dogs are supposed to have a play date now and even with all the work I've done with my dog, an off-leash dog(s) are even more than he can resist so I'm left supervising all the dogs until the owners show and remove their wandering dogs . . . . . errr.

Golfers I know that are averse to dogs along have softened their view when it comes to my dog. They'll realize that the dog is just along for the ride and say things like -- "After the first basket, didn't even notice him", or "dogs usually bother me but he's OK".

If dogs aren't welcome someplace I just go somewhere else -- there's so many courses that don't have any dog restrictions (legal or culturally) I just play where we're welcome. I practice a lot at Sedgleywoods (busy urban course) with my dog but we keep to ourselves so as not to bother anyone. I don't bring him to tags or doubles if I'm playing, so no one has to ask not to have him along. (While my dog's well-behaved, I'm aggressive/over-bearing and appreciate most golfers wouldn't have the nerve to say . . . "um, I have a problem with the dog . . ." It's always fascinating when someone turns on their speakers and I ask that they turn them off. The response is always "really?", and I respond -- "please". You'd think I just kicked their dog!! :) )

I take my dog disc golfing for casual rounds because I can. She's well behaved and the anti dog opinion really doesn't matter when you are in a public park.

I like dogs, have four at home. My opinion is, for casual rounds who cares. Don't bring a dog to a tourney or league.

It was pretty funny the other day when we played Hoover and we were walking past this guy on the course with his two daughters. Pup had her frisbee in her mouth and trotted over toward the guy and I thought she was going to say hi to the little girl and be all cute. Instead, the guy shooed her and repeated "go away" to our dog. Sir, she wouldn't be off the leash if she was going to hurt you. And yes, we put her on the leash when needed. Disc dog for life!

You know that, and it may well be true, but he doesn't know that. For every well behaved dog that can handle being off leash without incident, there are dogs who are not well behaved yet are off leash anyway. How is that guy supposed to know the difference between your dog and those others? I don't blame him in the least for shooing your dog away. I'd likely do the same if I were in the park with my two nieces, who are both afraid of dogs. Doesn't matter how friendly the dog may be, they don't handle being approached by it very well at all. Keep her on the leash and there is no problem for anybody.

Some places don't require leashes. Some "leash laws" only state your dog must be under control, nothing about a leash. My dog is usually off leash and have never had a problem. I'm not going to start putting her on because one person feels uncomfortable about it. That's not my problem.

Sir, she wouldn't be off the leash if she was going to hurt you.
This is the most unintelligent statement a dog owner can make. ALL animals can be unpredictable or act out. Especially around strangers. If you're in a public setting, don't be lazy and keep your animal restrained or stay home.

Some places don't require leashes. Some "leash laws" only state your dog must be under control, nothing about a leash. My dog is usually off leash and have never had a problem. I'm not going to start putting her on because one person feels uncomfortable about it. That's not my problem.
Another ignorant and irresponsible dog owner. Clearly too lazy and entitled to care about anyone else.
People like this is why it's an issue.

Yes, always put your one dog's comfort above those of any one human's. That's the sign of a fully trained dog owner.

Dog > 6 year old girl.

I take my dog disc golfing for casual rounds because I can. She's well behaved and the anti dog opinion really doesn't matter when you are in a public park.

Except public parks where dogs are not allowed. Madison's city courses don't allow dogs, yet I see them all the time.

Look out, it's the fun police! I think people with stinky attitudes shouldn't be allowed on disc golf courses! Because after all, the problem here is PEOPLE, not dogs. The way you raise your dogs (and kids) is the issue. Well, I say kids are unpredictable and cause trouble, so no kids on the course without a leash!

What about people who litter and throw on you without saying anything? And they play in groups of 10 and never let you through, throwing cigarette butts and beer cans everywhere. There are plenty of "disc golfers" out there who don't care about the game or the course, and they are the real problem, not someone who has been doing it for years and actually cares. My dog was playing this course before you, and she's better at it.

I have a puppy and she stays on the leash when I go out because she isn't trained! Some day she'll be a good doggy but for now she's a little rambunctious pup. I guess I should just keep her inside all day, though, because some yahoo's feelings are hurt about puppies.

Look out, it's the fun police! I think people with stinky attitudes shouldn't be allowed on disc golf courses! Because after all, the problem here is PEOPLE, not dogs. The way you raise your dogs (and kids) is the issue. Well, I say kids are unpredictable and cause trouble, so no kids on the course without a leash!

What about people who litter and throw on you without saying anything? And they play in groups of 10 and never let you through, throwing cigarette butts and beer cans everywhere. There are plenty of "disc golfers" out there who don't care about the game or the course, and they are the real problem, not someone who has been doing it for years and actually cares. My dog was playing this course before you, and she's better at it.

I have a puppy and she stays on the leash when I go out because she isn't trained! Some day she'll be a good doggy but for now she's a little rambunctious pup. I guess I should just keep her inside all day, though, because some yahoo's feelings are hurt about puppies.

Agreed, grumpy and boring players are a bigger issue than some well behaving dog on the course ever will be.

Anyone stating that all animals can be unpredictable and "lash out" simply never managed to train a dog well or more likely have had few pets in their lives.

Sigh...........right and wrong should not be all that challenging. I have to disagree with the bolded, because you are the problem.

Christ man, don't you have Judge Judy in syndicate in your area?? Watch like four episodes and you will most certainly see, that the above is the defense to the two or three dog bite/fight cases you will see.

So I can't do something I am allowed to do because you don't like it? And I'm the entitled one? Lol.

Part of being a good dog owner beyond training the dog to be a respectful citizen is following the rules. If your area has leash laws, and you ignore them, you're as bad as the guy who lets their dog free when they have zero training. Do I believe that my dog would cause problems for himself/anyone else? No. Do I hate knowing he could roam free but continue to keep him leashed? Yes. It took months to whip Smokey into respectable disc shape, and he still has a long way to go.

There are a lot of dog lovers on here ridiculing people for giving their opinions. I've encountered a guy when Smokey was roaming free who was threatening to shoot him because he'd approached him. It didn't matter that his tail was wagging, or that his posture was lighthearted and friendly. I called Smokey back and leashed him immediately. The guy's behavior has stuck with me because he was super over-dramatic about it. I laughed at him initially because he was getting so upset over a super friendly dog that just wanted a couple pats on his head before bounding off to play elsewhere. What I don't know is the guy's history. He could've been attacked as a kid and developed a severe phobia. He could've never been around dogs and never learned their typical behavior. I have zero clue.

Remember that not everyone grew up with you and experienced the same things that you did. If there's a leash law, leash your dog. That'll stop the extreme people from shooting your dog, and it'll keep your dog well-mannered and in control.

I always bring my dog Floyd along for casual rounds, but not for league or tourney rounds. He's 12 now and grew up on my home course from the time I adopted him as a puppy...never had a problem with other dogs or people.

We always bring his leash and collar along to the courses even though we no longer use them at the house because he's old and slow, well slower than he was 5 years ago. He is much much nicer to humans and other animals than a lot of chuckers we see out there. Here's a pic from earlier this year....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0611171111g-1.jpg
    0611171111g-1.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 138
I don't allow my dog to approach other golfers with out first asking if they like dogs or not. I'm a responsible owner and while I do understand she is an animal and can be unpredictable, I have 100% trust in her that she will listen to me. I feel that just because a few people don't like dogs I should have to leave her behind. I stay away from people not in my group and don't understand how that is a problem. I get it, there are people that are not responsible for their dog, but that is not me, so I'm not going to change what I do. I'll keep my dog by my side, you keep doing what you are doing and I promise we won't have a problem.

I don't like dogs, had a lot of bad experiences as a kid living next to a mean dog. The thing killed multiple of my pets before being put down. That being said, I have no issue with dogs on the course, the only issue is most people, atleast in my local area, don't seem to know what a leash is. Letting your dog run rampant is a great way to cause problems, I have a friend who's allergic so whenever we see a dog off his leash we usually skip the group. If you're not going to keep your dog leashed, don't bring it. Even if it's perfectly trained, you never know what's going to happen.

Latest posts