• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Does anyone take their dog to play DG with them? I have thought about it several times but the courses I play are too far away. Also, whenever I play DG, I usually do other things in the city I'm playing in before/after a round.

I've read that certain courses don't allow dogs, but a lot of courses are in public parks where there are no restrictions to dogs.

If you take your dog, do you keep it on a leash? And if so, what do you do with it when you are taking your shots?

Attachments

• 118_1815.jpg
    118_1815.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 31
Many of the players in our area have dogs and bring them to the courses to walk along during rounds. Since most of the area courses are in public parks, leashes are mando and it is common courtesy to keep your pet under control. Some use their bags as anchors, some have obedient dogs that understand "stay", some have a carabiner on the end of the leash so it can be temporarily looped around a tree or pole. Some even have "doggie bags" for their discs and Rover makes a helluva caddy! If you ever have the pleasure of attending the USDGC or other tourneys, Look for
Bear, the amazing disc diving dog, who has been known to recover discs in 6' of water!

I almost always have my dog with me. I keep a leash in my bag. I rarely use it. I keep it mostly if someone complains that I not following the rules.

My dog is trained and comes when commanded to do so. He just hangs around me. He doesn't pick up discs, only tennis balls. He is more interested in squirrels and rabbits. About 3 weeks ago he cornered a big possum in a blackberry brier at Timber Linn. He didn't know what to do with it so he just barked at until I came and got him and brought him back to the course.

I was at Milo McIver last week and there must have been 1 or 2 dogs per group on the course. I counted at least 9 dogs that day. It was a real nice day with the sun out and all.

I've actually never seen anyone with a dog on the DG course. I haven't played very long, so that may contribute to the fact.

I wish my dog was obedient enough to keep off of a leash. She is getting better, but is easily distracted by picking up the scent of some other animal or something along those lines.

I've read about Bear...what a great story. http://forums.stickitdg.com/smf/index.php?topic=2518.0

It'd be pretty cool to see a dog caddying. I can see it now....my dog carrying a saddle bag with discs on both sides. It'd probably help her to shed a few lbs.

Follow the local rules concerning leashes and be respectful of other golfers and dogs are great on the course. I have 2 Border Terriers and bring them often. If the are on leash they are secured to my bag; it has been known to head down the fairway after squirrels. And off leash the squirrels stay out of our way.

I play with a couple of people with dogs. The dogs love to run out and mark the disc where it lands and never pick them up. One of them even went out in the lake a nd brought a disc back to shore. I think they are great and love playing with them around. Some people may find it annoying or distracting, but I think it is great watching them do their "job" with such pride. :)

I almost always have my dog with me. I keep a leash in my bag. I rarely use it. I keep it mostly if someone complains that I not following the rules.

My dog is trained and comes when commanded to do so. He just hangs around me. He doesn't pick up discs, only tennis balls. He is more interested in squirrels and rabbits. About 3 weeks ago he cornered a big possum in a blackberry brier at Timber Linn. He didn't know what to do with it so he just barked at until I came and got him and brought him back to the course.

I was at Milo McIver last week and there must have been 1 or 2 dogs per group on the course. I counted at least 9 dogs that day. It was a real nice day with the sun out and all.

+1 on what he said. I usually bring 2 plastic grocery bags in case she leaves any presents (poop) on the course. More times than not I am using the bags to pick up trash on the course and not poop.

Keep in mind the courses I play are out in the woods so the only time the dog would be around people is in the parking lot. An urban / college DG course wouldn't be as good for bringing a dog.

At our local course (Richmond Hill) there are dogs running all over the place. Occasionally you will see a dog owner holding the leash or securing it when they were throwing. But most of the time the dogs are unclipped & set free to roam. There are signs saying "dogs must be on leash, big fines" etc. but I don't think people look at that too much. It is like a dog park out there sometimes. Personally, I don't mind because I like dogs! But I know it upsets others.
Should you bring your dog to the course? I say yes, but be responsible!

Many private courses don't allow dogs because if your dog bites someone the property owner is liable.

Living in a apartment i cant go golfing without my dog i feel bad leaving him at home. My bag is stuffed with dog bags to clean up, i would be so mad if my disc landed in a land mine. I have two leashes one that is looped on the end of the other so i can throw it around things or my leg when i am throwing. With my dog its fifty fifty sometimes he will listen and stay right beside me others its off to the races. I can tell his moods and i let him run when i think he will come back.

I have thrown my disc into a pile of dog shit before on Seatac in WA. Luckily it was raining and I was able to clean up a little. It doesn't bother me. What I don't like about dogs at course is the people who take their dogs to use the course like a dog park.

Ug...this is always a heated discussion among me and my hombre's. I say,if you want to bring a dog that's totally cool. I happen to like a pup. But leash him/her. Once,a friend of mine brought his jack Russel terrier to play 18 with us and with-out a leash. I protested and he brought him along anyway. Seriously,the dog went after EVERY DISC WE THREW,and ran around with'em. Needless to say it was a bad,BAD eighteen holes.

I almost always bring my dog along, unless its too hot out. This season I bought a set of saddle bags for him to carry extra discs for me. There is even a bungee cord laced across the middle to hold my putter. Along with clean up bags I also carry treats for him when we finish.

I love dogs, esp mine. But I hardly ever take her to a DG course. She minds really well, but she distracts me while I try to play. In Charlotte, NC if you bring your dog you should have it on a leash. The parks people at Sugaw Creek got really upset about unleashed dogs at one point and threatened to take the baskets out if DGers didn't keep dogs on a leash. Guess they didn't want the homeless people that camp out near 12 getting bit.

Dogs should be on a leash and close to their master. If allowed to run free they might get hit by the discs. I would feel really bad if I hit someone's dog.

Sometimes they get spooked. I've always thought it was a good idea to keep them on a leash even the well disciplined ones. You're right Peabody gotta watch out for those flying discs.

Dogs should be allowed in parks, and while I fully support allowing good dogs to walk off-leash, this requires that the owners use good judgment. I often bring my dog with me, and when I do I always let her off leash because she's so gentle and well-mannered. However, if your dog does not consistently stay with your group, if it does not consistently come when it's called, or if it bothers other park users in any way, it should be kept on its leash. Even though my dog is has nearly perfect manners, I always bring her leash with me, because I never know when I might need it. So far nobody has asked me to leash her, but if they did, I wouldn't hesitate to comply.

As for the poop, there's no excuse for leaving it on the course. Even if you forgot to bring a poop bag, you can always find a stick and sweep it into the shule where nobody will ever see it again.

some dogs don't even mind! I hit my Rottie in the head with a drive, she yelped and learned to watch when we throw!!

Latest posts