• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

You'd better know what you're doing if you pick a fight with two large dogs. With aggressive, escalating behavior like these last two guys are recommending, don't be surprised if the dogs bite back. I wouldn't necessarily back down, but force isn't always the best negotiating tool.

Woah I never said aggressive escalating behavior ... just that you should stand your ground and be confident, NOT aggressive. IF the dog comes at you, show it who's boss. But not with hitting or any kind of pain inflicting force. If you don't feel comfortable putting a dog on its back then you are probably feeling pretty nervous around the dog and its going to pick up on that and act like it owns you.

I've been bitten only once by a dog out of the many times I've had a dog challenge me ... and that was the time I ran away. I've been around dogs a long time and connect well with them. I understand my dog better than I understand people most of the time (part of why my name is what it is). Dogs respect confidence in your place in the world ... and thats all I really think anyone needs to know to feel safe around them.

Sure there's truth in what you say, A. Mutt, but it's one thing for someone with experience and confidence to manage a dog that way, and another thing to advise someone who's inexperienced and naturally unconfident to manage a dog that way. And I'm sure you'd agree that it's more difficult when there's a couple of 'em cooperating as a pack.

I'm comfortable with dogs myself, but I wouldn't do everything I see professional dog handlers do on TV. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just saying not everybody can pull of what you've advised.

Next time that happens, look the dogs right in the eyes, and make sure you have a driver in your hand. Yell back at them and let them know who is boss. The dogs where in "Pack Mode" and the were sizing you up. Dogs few humans as other dogs. You don't need a stick, you have a whole bag of weapons.
your right on about the yelling thing i had a pit try to bite me repeatedly for at least a minute in an open field with nothing around or on me to attack him with and at the last second i guess my instinct kicked in and i yelled as loud as i could while looking straight at him and he ran off , if he had actually gotten me i would have gone for the neck but would never suggest doing that unless you have to cause theres no way your doing that in an open area without him sticking you their head movements are just to fast .

Sure there's truth in what you say, A. Mutt, but it's one thing for someone with experience and confidence to manage a dog that way, and another thing to advise someone who's inexperienced and naturally unconfident to manage a dog that way. And I'm sure you'd agree that it's more difficult when there's a couple of 'em cooperating as a pack.

I'm comfortable with dogs myself, but I wouldn't do everything I see professional dog handlers do on TV. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just saying not everybody can pull of what you've advised.

Fair point, I definitely see your side. I suppose my main point is to remain calm and confident around dogs. I forget sometimes that I've been living and rough housing with dogs my whole life while others have never been around them, and that certainly makes a difference in perspective.

Latest posts