• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

Oh my gosh, I was playing today in Newberg, OR and this girl was with her dog. We waited at the tee pad for like 10 minutes and she just looked up and waited there with her dog because the dog didn't want to walk with the leash. She could clearly see that we were waiting to play the hole but just sat there waiting for her dog to move. It was very annoying, so I don't think dogs, especially untrained ones, should be allowed on courses.

I would tend to disagree with this, though I understand the spirit of it. What I don't like is the assumption that my dog will be defensive and the other dog will tend to escalate. Your dog will take on your energy (it travels down the leash, to be sure), whether it's tense or confident. So if you present, in Cesar's words, a calm, assertive presence, and you know how to handle the meeting (good sense of dog body language, etc.), you won't have a problem with a friendly dog. Of course attacks are a different story. When in doubt, I prefer to put myself between my dog and the strange dog. This tends to break the stranger's focus, which is a good thing, and helps me control the situation. The bottom line is that you should take control of the situation rather than letting the dogs take control. I'm convinced that the human failure to lead is the source of most canine social problems.

But that's just me.

Cesar Milan couldn't have said it better himself...or maybe he did already? Either way, I agree.

I must admit I'm a fan of Cesar's, and most of what I said I learned from watching him. But thanks for the encouragement.

I played the other day and this couple's dog Rottwieller (although it was definately the girls dog) came out of nowhere right at me and at first I thought he was going to attack, he was big and running fast at me, turned out he just wanted to sniff my sack while I was trying to putt...no problem, I like dogs as long as they are that friendly...

I must admit I'm a fan of Cesar's, and most of what I said I learned from watching him. But thanks for the encouragement.

I'm a fan too. I think he really knows what he is talking about. I enjoy watching that show. When it's raining outside of course. :)

My 2 cents

So today is a day that reminds me why I hate some dogs on the DG course. Now do not let me mislead you - I love dogs, I'm definitely a dog friendly individual. However when you have your dog on the course, off-leash and the dog is running around all crazy chasing ****. Well lets face it - I can even let that go. That is until the crazy ass dog runs up on me, barking, barking like he seems my ass as a giant pork-chop and he is starving. This happened to me today while playing a local course.

3x!!!

The first time, I ignore it, dog runs up, barks, owner calls him, dog runs back.

The second time, I get annoyed, dog runs up, barks aggressively, owner calls him back, dog barks more, owner calls him a second time, dog runs back.

The third time, I get pissed, dog runs up, barks aggressively again, owner calls him, dog gets closer, barks more aggressively, I ponder how far I can kick what looks to be an 80lb mutt, owner calls him again - dog runs back to his owner.

At this point I yell over to the owner "Hey, can you put him on a leash or something". Owner pretends to not hear me. I say again "Can you put your dog on a leash". He then goes into this long talk about how his leash is in his bag and he'll do it after he takes his up-shot. I yell back to him "Great, thanks". I then throw my next shot.

Now here is the part that really really gets me. The owner never put the dog on a leash. I ran into him a few holes later (he and his group were about 4 holes ahead of me). I saw his dog running around acting all crazy yet again, this time with another dog, chasing random things on the course.

I think I have every right to request this guy put his dog on leash if his dog is acting like an idiot. I also think after telling the guy (after this had happened 3x) that I should have a right to at least throw a disc at the owners head 1x for each time the dog ran up on me (ok ok i'm joking).

Sigh - it was an annoying day.

shoulda called animal control... even if there is no leash law the dog still has to be under control... or you could just beam him in back of the head... either way works.

No kidding. The leash laws are written for dogs that don't know how to behave in civilized society. Not even a pack of ferile dogs would tolerate this kind of behavior. If you know it's going to act like a kindergartener hepped up on pixie stix, there's no excuse for letting it off leash.

This weekend i disced with my friend and his dog for the first time. His dog was properly trained and never went after one disc. When my friend threw, he let go of the leash, told his dog to stay and his dog sat and did not move. (I suppose he really didn't need the leash but had it for the leash laws) If all dogs were trained properly like this I would have no problem discing with dogs, however, this usually isnt the case and they usually cause disruptions or chase discs.

This weekend i disced with my friend and his dog for the first time. His dog was properly trained and never went after one disc. When my friend threw, he let go of the leash, told his dog to stay and his dog sat and did not move. (I suppose he really didn't need the leash but had it for the leash laws) If all dogs were trained properly like this I would have no problem discing with dogs, however, this usually isnt the case and they usually cause disruptions or chase discs.

Chasing the disc isn't always a bad thing, it's picking the disc up that is. I love to have my dog with me when I go play a new course. He'll chase the disc down (if I tell him to) and will spot it for me. I don't have to worry as much about losing my disc that way. He's also able to get the disc back from shallow water for me.

First Bad Experience with Dogs on a Course

I had a bad experience last week with 2 dogs on a course. I was in Southern Oregon at Lake Selmac.

I just finished up on #7 and was scoping out the layout for the basket on 8 when 2 dogs showed up. One was a big mutt and the other a young German Shepard. Both were growling at me. So I stood around awhile with them moving around a bit. I finally walked back to the tee pad and had a seat on the bench with them still hovering around. Finally after about 5 minutes they moved on and I continued with my game. After I finished with the 9th basket I went over to the camp host and complained about it. She seemed to think they belong to a private property owner near the park. I suggested calling animal control.

I should state that I do like dogs and I take mine to the course all the time. I would hate to think what would have happened if my dog was with me. He is scared of all big threatening dogs and hides behind me, but will bark up a storm if they are secured behind a fence.

The course I was on was a very clean wooded course and there was not a big stick in sight. Plus there is no mobile phone coverage there. If the situation had escalated I think I would have been on the losing end of it. I would hate to think what might have happened if young kids were playing the course at that time.:(
Maybe I should be caring pepper spray when playing remote courses?

I alwawys take my dog with me, He's on leash 99.5% of the time. When we get out away from everyone I sometimes let him off to run for a bit. Then back on the leash just to avoid any crap from anyone. If I'm carrying a bag or pulling the cart he stays hooked to it.

I've got a big, lazy English Mastiff who LOVES people, and I've never had a problem with her interfering with other people's games. In the process of socializing her with other people/dogs/parks, the leash was imperative; however, as she became better trained and familiar with our activities on the course, I've been able to unleash her, and she'll happily trot along with us, never chases discs, and never goes after groups of other golfers. She will run up and greet a nearby group if she senses friendliness, but I've never had a complaint. Some people find her intimidating by her size, especially those unfamiliar with the breed (Mastiffs are frequently dubbed "gentle giants"), but she doesn't even bark or growl unless she perceives a threat, and even then she won't go after anyone; she'll position herself between owner and perceived threat, stand her ground, and wait out the situation.

She came up to Highbridge with us, where we had rented out the Honka House, and she couldn't even make it through a round...she left our group towards the end of our round and headed back to the Honka House to wait on the porch! She's pretty old (almost 5--more than halfway through the average Mastiff lifespan), so I don't think she's got a lot of rounds left in her. :(

I had a bad experience last week with 2 dogs on a course. I was in Southern Oregon at Lake Selmac.

I just finished up on #7 and was scoping out the layout for the basket on 8 when 2 dogs showed up. One was a big mutt and the other a young German Shepard. Both were growling at me. So I stood around awhile with them moving around a bit. I finally walked back to the tee pad and had a seat on the bench with them still hovering around. Finally after about 5 minutes they moved on and I continued with my game. After I finished with the 9th basket I went over to the camp host and complained about it. She seemed to think they belong to a private property owner near the park. I suggested calling animal control.

I should state that I do like dogs and I take mine to the course all the time. I would hate to think what would have happened if my dog was with me. He is scared of all big threatening dogs and hides behind me, but will bark up a storm if they are secured behind a fence.

The course I was on was a very clean wooded course and there was not a big stick in sight. Plus there is no mobile phone coverage there. If the situation had escalated I think I would have been on the losing end of it. I would hate to think what might have happened if young kids were playing the course at that time.:(
Maybe I should be caring pepper spray when playing remote courses?

Next time that happens, look the dogs right in the eyes, and make sure you have a driver in your hand. Yell back at them and let them know who is boss. The dogs where in "Pack Mode" and the were sizing you up. Dogs few humans as other dogs. You don't need a stick, you have a whole bag of weapons.

damn straight ... dogs understand dog behavior best. If ones challenging your place in the heirarchy you gotta stand up confident and hold your ground ... and get ready to put that dog on its back if it really steps outta line . In one motion with your favored hand on its neck with thumb under lower jaw and fingers wrapping around the back of the head, take your off hand and pull one of the front legs out from underneath. Once on the ground If they continue to fight back you increase pressure to let them know you are in full control.

You'd better know what you're doing if you pick a fight with two large dogs. With aggressive, escalating behavior like these last two guys are recommending, don't be surprised if the dogs bite back. I wouldn't necessarily back down, but force isn't always the best negotiating tool.

Someday I would like to bring my dogs, but they aren't really trained well so it wouldn't work out too good, lol (I got 3 Boxers)

A lot of people at my local course bring their dogs, and once my friend did. The park has a path that is for dog walking/walkers, so it's nice. They don't bother anyone, and sometimes, they help ya pick up your discs :p

Oh. gosh....3 not so well trained dogs would be fun in a forest or a dog park with an extra handler, but not a DG Course. I've one 85lb dog and he goes discing with me and he is clipped to my bag at all times. He sits on the tee and doesn't move, but still....its a lot of work bringing a dog to course that isn't distracting anyone. Costs me 3-4 strokes a round easy. Many people are just fearful of dogs....mostly because the teeth they have.... and even the most easy going dog makes these folks edgy. Its really not fair to the public to have dogs running around on a course.

Its really not fair to the public to have dogs running around on a course.

It's not really fair to dogs to have owners who don't teach them manners. :p

No seriously, there are good reasons for the leash laws, and no good reason to have an impolite dog running free on the course any more than to have an impolite human running free on the course. So leash your dogs and chain your drunk litterbug friends to the trees. :)

Latest posts