• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

As a matter of fact I have, and I've got some of his essays within arm's reach. I'm a particular fan of David Hume, though: "Be a philsopher, but in so doing, do not cease to be a man."

:D nice to know someone out there knows about him. Berkely was an interesting philospher, kind of an anomoly in the empiricist line.
Im not particularly fond of Hume ... although he was a great (and very influential) philosopher and did take Empiricism to its conclusion ;) ...

My personal religious beliefs are an amalgamation of Deism, Marcionite Christianity, and Taoism. I never advocated suffering, I meant to imply that it is often unavoidable. If a dog continued to run around your fairway would you refuse to throw? Why let a dog interfere with your good time. Let fate and the dog decide whether it gets hit with a disc. I just find it hypocritical that people selectively choose which animals are worthy of their protection and empathy. Throwing a disc with a dog in the area of the target is much less dangerous to the environment than driving an SUV or building a house on newly cleared land yet people generally act like it is an act of inhumanity.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I just think people are a wee bit more important. :)
I think an unruly dog like that could be on a leash . I think that makes it avoidable. Then you don't have to worry about him running around the fairway or stealing 30 ft off your drives. Sounds like your friend needs to be more resbonsible with his dog.

I think an unruly dog like that could be on a leash . I think that makes it avoidable. Then you don't have to worry about him running around the fairway or stealing 30 ft off your drives. Sounds like your friend needs to be more resbonsible with his dog.

He's trying to teach his dog to behave off a leash and he only brings him out on the course early in the morning when no one else is really at the park. I really don't mind the dog when I'm playing with him cause it's funny watching him get bent out of shape trying to control the dog and play at the same time, keeps the playing field even since he usually beats me. I could care less about the occasional dg'er and his dog, it's when you're playing a serious round and you come up on the Swiss family Robinson with like 3 dogs, kids, and dollar store frisbees that gets under my skin.

He's trying to teach his dog to behave off a leash and he only brings him out on the course early in the morning when no one else is really at the park. I really don't mind the dog when I'm playing with him cause it's funny watching him get bent out of shape trying to control the dog and play at the same time, keeps the playing field even since he usually beats me. I could care less about the occasional dg'er and his dog, it's when you're playing a serious round and you come up on the Swiss family Robinson with like 3 dogs, kids, and dollar store frisbees that gets under my skin.

if the kids were in the fairway with the dog would you throw then. are you going to secretly try to hit them because it is inconvenient for you to wait. honestly it is best to just smoke a bowl and wait it out, maybe that's just how it is in Cali. maybe i need to play a serious round with you when i come out to NC. FYI i sent a PM saying no offense and no hard feelings.

My personal religious beliefs are an amalgamation of Deism, Marcionite Christianity, and Taoism. I never advocated suffering, I meant to imply that it is often unavoidable. If a dog continued to run around your fairway would you refuse to throw? Why let a dog interfere with your good time. Let fate and the dog decide whether it gets hit with a disc. I just find it hypocritical that people selectively choose which animals are worthy of their protection and empathy. Throwing a disc with a dog in the area of the target is much less dangerous to the environment than driving an SUV or building a house on newly cleared land yet people generally act like it is an act of inhumanity.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I just think people are a wee bit more important. :)

just nice to know you wont be aiming for me because i have 2 legs.

Bring your dog but keep control of it. There are leash laws for a reason. Please pick up your dog crap. I've had a drive land in a pile of dog crap. Man was I pissed. I would love it if my lab would fetch discs. Hes way to spazzy he rushes the teepad, shows you where your disc is picks it up puts a hole in it, and swims out in the water and sinks any floaters. I used to bring my shephard out shes a good old girl. Stopped taking her out after she was attacked by two unleashed pitbulls, then got into a fight with the owners because they were mad I kicked there dogs to break up the fight. I think in this case the dogs were smarter than their owners. Had to end my round and take my dog to the vet. Cost me a couple hundred dollars in vet bills, not to mention the physical confrontation with the dogs owners. Ever since that its been rare that I take my pooches out to play.

I'm truly amazed at how many of you are reporting dog attacks on the disc golf course. I've never experienced a dog attack, neither on me nor on my dog. I guess once is all it takes to change your mind.

Bring your dog but keep control of it. There are leash laws for a reason. Please pick up your dog crap. I've had a drive land in a pile of dog crap. Man was I pissed. I would love it if my lab would fetch discs. Hes way to spazzy he rushes the teepad, shows you where your disc is picks it up puts a hole in it, and swims out in the water and sinks any floaters. I used to bring my shephard out shes a good old girl. Stopped taking her out after she was attacked by two unleashed pitbulls, then got into a fight with the owners because they were mad I kicked there dogs to break up the fight. I think in this case the dogs were smarter than their owners. Had to end my round and take my dog to the vet. Cost me a couple hundred dollars in vet bills, not to mention the physical confrontation with the dogs owners. Ever since that its been rare that I take my pooches out to play.

If you were obeying the law and had your dog leashed and she still got attacked, you should contact the authorities, espically with people who own dogs that are attacking others and out of control, much better to have them pay for the damage then you. I feel bad for you though I went through something similar but my Rott took care of herself.

I think most of the dog on dog attacks go unreported. The person with the injured dog is too busy getting to the vet and dealing with an often antaganistic dog owner. Also, the consequences of reporting could lead to the other dog being put down and I believe a lot of dog lovers are hesitant to take that kind of action.

Vets don't seem to ask about the dog that caused the injuries, except in a general way. But if a person gets bit, the hospital is going to call the police and there's going to be an investigation.

Just to add some more of my 2 cents...if you are ever walking with your dog on a leash and other dog or dogs come to play or even attack...do your dog a favor and DROP THE LEASH.

You are putting your dog at a disadvantage by keeping them leashed up. They can do a better job of defending themselves without you holding them back while the other dogs punk them. Also by them being on leash and the other dog off leash, your dog will be more defensive (your dog and the strange dog will sense that) and escalate the situation. Plus there is a chance of you getting tangled up and hurt. The dogs can take care of themselves most of the time...and if they can't, well you holding onto the leash still won't stop it.

You wouldn't hold your kids arm behind their back while another kid punked your kid, so why do it with your dog.

Sorry about the rant...

We are kinda driftin' this thread, but what the heck. When Shadow my Dog was attacked, after all was said and done, he was looking at 3-4 weeks wearing one of those lampshade deals so he wouldn't be able to lick the stitches open. ( He took the hit on his lower left shoulder) Those lampshades are a pain in the neck. The dog has zero peripheral vision and the cone shape creates a white noise that sounds like your're inside a seashell. We both were going crazy after about 2 hours of that thing. A neighbor told me about this donut contraption. It has loops inside that the collar slips thru, a velcro clousure, a pretty tough rubber vinyl exteriour and a zipper to remove the inner bladder if you need to patch the bladder. The inflated shape keeps the dog from being able to turn his head far enough to worry any surgery or wounds on the front third of his body. It won't work if the injury is near the groin or hips. And...its kinda like a pillow when the dog lays down. Woof!

So here's Shadow modeling this thing. (PetSmart, PetCo, PetWorld...one of those places)

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 17
if the kids were in the fairway with the dog would you throw then. are you going to secretly try to hit them because it is inconvenient for you to wait. honestly it is best to just smoke a bowl and wait it out, maybe that's just how it is in Cali. maybe i need to play a serious round with you when i come out to NC. FYI i sent a PM saying no offense and no hard feelings.

I must give off the impression that I'm more ornery than I am. These things (dogs on the course) do piss me off to an extent but I generally brush it off and politely smile as we Southern gentlemen are accustomed to doing. I'd just rather take a dog hunting than disc golfing, that's just me, dogs seem to enjoy that more too. But I guess you wouldn't be for that since the dog might catch a stray bullet or rabid squirrels might fall from the trees and bite the dogs. I guess it's just a matter of culture between you and I, to me dogs are dogs and to you they're precious little people that should be covered in teflon at all times(?) Whatever, I could care less and I respect your opinion if you respect mine. Peace, love, and happiness, I'm done with this.

Just to add some more of my 2 cents...if you are ever walking with your dog on a leash and other dog or dogs come to play or even attack...do your dog a favor and DROP THE LEASH.

You are putting your dog at a disadvantage by keeping them leashed up. They can do a better job of defending themselves without you holding them back while the other dogs punk them. Also by them being on leash and the other dog off leash, your dog will be more defensive (your dog and the strange dog will sense that) and escalate the situation...

I would tend to disagree with this, though I understand the spirit of it. What I don't like is the assumption that my dog will be defensive and the other dog will tend to escalate. Your dog will take on your energy (it travels down the leash, to be sure), whether it's tense or confident. So if you present, in Cesar's words, a calm, assertive presence, and you know how to handle the meeting (good sense of dog body language, etc.), you won't have a problem with a friendly dog. Of course attacks are a different story. When in doubt, I prefer to put myself between my dog and the strange dog. This tends to break the stranger's focus, which is a good thing, and helps me control the situation. The bottom line is that you should take control of the situation rather than letting the dogs take control. I'm convinced that the human failure to lead is the source of most canine social problems.

But that's just me.

You mean like this? (snicker)

dimp46e9effce37e3.jpg

Latest posts