• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

What about his girlfriend?

Seriously, I like dogs on the course with a bunch of buddies, but sometimes you just wanna focus on dg.

When I bring my dog, its more for about spending time together than my game. Just the exposure to a different environment. He's still young and has a lot to learn, but I can't play my best with 88lbs of pup energy in tow. Most rounds he stays home and we hit the dog park later.

i bring my dog and let her off leash when i go to a course that has plenty of open space or one i know won't be crowded. if the course is crowded i leash her, people tend to be afraid of 80 lb dobermans. :D

Funny you should say that. All the dobermans I've ever met were big goofy fun-loving happy things. I couldn't have been afraid of them if I'd have tried. I must admit, though, that I find it easy to get along with dogs, and I instinctively trust them. I once had a somewhat scary episode with a neighborhood pit bull, but she had run off from her home up the street, was looking worried and lost, and my parents responded poorly to finding an anxious pit bull in their yard and me trying to get it to come to me so I could call the number on its collar. Nothing bad came of it, and after a good half hour of my frightened parents foiling my every attempt to build trust with her, a neighbor eventually identified the dog and called her owner. My point is that a common problem with fear of dogs or of breeds is that it tends to snowball, because dogs don't trust people who don't trust them. In those cases, it's best not to push it.

i bring my dog with me when i play about half the time. i will have her on a leash and have someone hold her when i throw. ill let her off the leash if nobody is around though.

love taking my dog to play with me. she has no interest in disc just sniffing and staying close to me. she will however go after any squirrel in sight.

I've been fine with dogs and even have been taking my dog to my local course but lately I'm getting fed up with all of the dog **** everywhere and a few morons who let their dogs run around and do what ever they please. I think the amount of crap building up is growing exponentially and I just can't wait to throw my disc in a big pile of ****!!!!!! Clean up after your effin dog and if they don't listen to your dumb ass put them on a leash!

Phew, just hat to get that off of my shoulders.

i feel dogs should be on a leash if on the course. i dont want my disc to have puncture marks from a dog running and biting it and running off with it....this happened to one of my wraiths.....and another time i saw a big ol' lab tackle a jogger. If you have a dog, respect the people around you and either train it to obey you or keep it on the leash

I love dogs on the course I think its very cool and dogs love to get out and walk with the pack...I saw a dog rip a groundhog apart once at nockamixon....It was the most gruesome thing you ever saw....Usually dogs arre along for the walk and rarely disrupt play....If it does affect your game...maybe your annoyed by choppers overhead....birds chirping....planes....cars....boats....squirells..and any other excuse for missing that 15 foot putt!

Dogs are great....I got one, but on DGC they have to be leashed...The Courses are for the players. A few rare and beautiful dogs can be unubtrusive off leash, but those dogs and owners are not very common.
A dog killing a groundhog during a round is a dog out of control. Out of control dogs ( and their negligent owners ) have no place during a round of DG.
As a dog owner, I've noticed that the guys who let their dogs off leash are also the most likely to not clean up after the dog. Thats a nusiance and spoils things for everyone else.

Dogs are great....I got one, but on DGC they have to be leashed...The Courses are for the players. A few rare and beautiful dogs can be unobtrusive off leash, but those dogs and owners are not very common.
A dog killing a groundhog during a round is a dog out of control. Out of control dogs ( and their negligent owners ) have no place during a round of DG.
As a dog owner, I've noticed that the guys who let their dogs off leash are also the most likely to not clean up after the dog. That's a nuisance and spoils things for everyone else.

agreed dogs are great if they behave and also if the owner cleans up. i have a beagle and they are notorious for barking. i got a lot of heat form friends after they saw another beagle barking at anything flying. i told them i trained my dog not to do that so don't worry. i think all dogs should be leashed if the dog will not follow you commands. bottom line its all about respect to the course and to the to the other players.

I get really heated about dog owners who take their dogs in parks that are posted off limits to dogs, owners who do not have absolute voice command over their dog, yet insist on running them off leash, dog owners who do not pay close attention to their dogs in off leash public areas and ....dog owners who are dumber than their dog.

In most cases of trouble with dogs....it's the owner.

true i see so many good dogs that never got trained and as a result they do what they want.

true i see so many good dogs that never got trained and as a result they do what they want.

Thats right....a good dog, a sharp dog ,always has a plan....if you are not ahead of your dog's thinking....well then, your dogs smarter than you. And that dog will find something more interesting than it's owner. The choice the dog makes in that situation is often not human friendly, because....he's a dog.

I get really heated about dog owners who take their dogs in parks that are posted off limits to dogs, owners who do not have absolute voice command over their dog, yet insist on running them off leash, dog owners who do not pay close attention to their dogs in off leash public areas and ....dog owners who are dumber than their dog.

In most cases of trouble with dogs....it's the owner.

i agree with you here and i dont bring my dog on the course if its posted no dogs. however i do let her run around when i am away from other groups and in the woods. she does come back when i call her. i think that that is fine. what about you?

I take my Golden Retriver with me quite often to play disc golf, usually only if I am going alone. The courses I play at don't have rules against dogs being there, but stipulate that they must be on a leash. I rarely have him on leash, but carry one with me just in case someone complains. He is very obedient and will stay within about 100 feet of me wherever I go on the course. If I need him to stay with me and not wander off, then I just tell him to Sit-Stay and he listens. I've never had another disc golfer complain about him, only walkers/bike riders that I didn't see coming in time to call the dog over to me. He comes in handy for retriving discs from water too. He won't dive down for them, but if they are just a couple of feet deep or floating, then he'll bring them back.

i agree with you here and i dont bring my dog on the course if its posted no dogs. however i do let her run around when i am away from other groups and in the woods. she does come back when i call her. i think that that is fine. what about you?

I think thats fine and I do that with Shadow when I'm on quiet areas of Vallarta-Ast, which allows leashed dogs. But, if I become aware of anyone or thing ( like deer which Shadow loves to chase), he is leashed immediately and the leash is carabinered to my bag.

Not everybody loves dogs and some people are rightfully fearful of dogs. A golfer was bit at Hiestand DGC this month. I don't know the details, but Hiestand is clearly off limits to dogs, yet I see golfers and non-golfers there with dogs leashed and unleashed fairly often. And dog crap. A few people can spoil it for everyone.

I have a large, highly recognizable dog, I feel its my responsibility to set a good example and unless I'm in a dog park or out in the woods, no-one ever sees Shadow off leash, except me.

I have noticed that it's the private courses that don't allow dogs. Usually due to the owners having dogs, they don't want the poop or because they don't want a bunch of peoples dogs there fighting or possibly biting other people. I haven't taken my dog out yet but am planning to this summer. She doesn't chase discs and is very well behaved. She has her own disc bag so she can caddy for me. I just haven't had the chance to take her to the course yet but I have big hopes in her abilities, I just hope she gives good advise.

I take my dog all the time, I don't usually have her on a leash but she is so well trained that my voice commands her attention. I agree that most dogs need to be leashed and there are a few exceptions. THere is no excuse for piles of fecal matter that are not cleaned up, the best thing to do is SPEAK UP!!

I see dogs out and about quite a bit, I wouldnt bring them to a tourney but a casual round I see no problem with.

Latest posts