• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles Strategies

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I am playing in a doubles tourney tomorrow. I was just wondering what kind of strategies you use when playing doubles. Do you keep an established order? Do you have one player lay up conservatively and the other go for it? What about if the players have the same skill level? I'm playing with my brother and we are pretty much on the same level skillwise.

Well, I guess it depends on the shot. For example, if one of you goes for it, and ends up parking it, the second guy should go for it too. But if the first guy shanks, maybe second guy should lay up. Better to take the 2s when you can, and get 3s n the rest. I jsut played a doubles tourny today, and my partner was much better than me. however, I was much younger than him, and left-handed, so I was able to contribute.

Im sure that even though you and your brother are on a similar skill level, there must be some things that one of you does better than the other? If not, then I guess just play smart. Hope that helps.

I think we are going to alternate taking the first shot hole by hole. For example, I will take all the first shots (drive/upshot/putt) on the odd holes and he on the evens.

When I play in ball golf tourneys with 4 players, we establish an order and play that way for all of the holes. But in DG, it's a little harder with 2 players IMO.

i just played with my brother in law and we did the one guy go for it and one guy lay it up. worked well but we played at whistlers so we couldnt get the distance to do that well

I like the strategy of letting the 1st guy lay up so the second guy can let go without any pressure and try to make it.

What kind of format is the tourney? How many rounds? Of the few doubles tourneys I've played, first round is best shot, second round is alternate shot. For best shot, you both drive, you both upshot. One player should always play it safe, the other run the pin. It doesn't really matter who does what, just as long as one is a safe shot for an easy putt. Alternate shot is a whole different monster, it takes more planning, deciding who will be the better player to drive on Hole X. Example, if you partner is a lefty and you are a righty, and hole 3 is a hard dog leg right, if he drives on hole 2 and you upshot, that means he has to putt, leaving you with a tough anny drive on the next hole... but, what if he misses the putt so he could drive on the next hole? It's kind of a give and take thing, by taking a 4 on hole 2, you could possibly take a 2 on hole 3 because the right person drove. Make any sense?

What kind of format is the tourney? How many rounds? Of the few doubles tourneys I've played, first round is best shot, second round is alternate shot. For best shot, you both drive, you both upshot. One player should always play it safe, the other run the pin. It doesn't really matter who does what, just as long as one is a safe shot for an easy putt. Alternate shot is a whole different monster, it takes more planning, deciding who will be the better player to drive on Hole X. Example, if you partner is a lefty and you are a righty, and hole 3 is a hard dog leg right, if he drives on hole 2 and you upshot, that means he has to putt, leaving you with a tough anny drive on the next hole... but, what if he misses the putt so he could drive on the next hole? It's kind of a give and take thing, by taking a 4 on hole 2, you could possibly take a 2 on hole 3 because the right person drove. Make any sense?

No. Makes no sense. Why would you ever just throw a stroke away on purpose? Hoping that a lefty will birdie when a righty has a chance to birdie as well? Even if the righty can yield a par it would be the same as forcing a 4 and praying for a 2. What if the lefty shanks?

Not a solid strategy here.

We played 2 rounds of 18 playing best shot. We played so that I played first shot for every shot on odds and he on evens. It worked out fine. We didn't have first person play it safe or anything, just go for it and if first person shanks it, second person has to perform under pressure. We are both fine with pressure and don't mind it, so it worked out fine. We ended up tieing for first in Amatuer.

Do whatever eases tension, especially when putting. Some people like to putt first or last no matter what. Some people like to lay up or go for it no matter what. The main thing is to make you both feel comfortable, because tension is the leading cause of poor play.

If your partner happens to throw a great shot to put you at an easy par or under, try something that may increase your chances at a better score. eg. roller, thumber, ace-run, etc.

Keep the communication between you and your partner so that you both know what the other is doing. Be each other's caddie.

No. Makes no sense. Why would you ever just throw a stroke away on purpose? Hoping that a lefty will birdie when a righty has a chance to birdie as well? Even if the righty can yield a par it would be the same as forcing a 4 and praying for a 2. What if the lefty shanks?

Not a solid strategy here.

It could be, if you were to have a terrible anny hole then that could cost two or three strokes. Its nearly the same as getting yourself into some heavy brush and simply throwing to the fairway instead of going for some distance, either way there is a good chance at really digging into a bigger pile of crap and losing even more strokes. But that also depends on the skill level of the players.

It could be, if you were to have a terrible anny hole then that could cost two or three strokes. Its nearly the same as getting yourself into some heavy brush and simply throwing to the fairway instead of going for some distance, either way there is a good chance at really digging into a bigger pile of crap and losing even more strokes. But that also depends on the skill level of the players.

Probably never a good strategy to give up a strokeon purpose. If the right hander has that much trouble with annys, then he should just throw a midrange down the fairway for a nice safe play and play for a par on that hole.

Here's what works for my partner & I pretty well....Both of us have a good accurate short game, putt and approach. We both throw pretty much the same discs, and the same shots. I have a tad bit more accuracy, he has more distance. Every hole <unless it is a format where we can't, such as alternating shot> I tee off. Reason?...he has more distance. So, if it is a shorter hole, and I have the accuracy, there is a good chance I can reach it, or have a good look right off my drive. If that is the case, he can rip it, if he's closer...great, if not, we are already in good shape. As far as upshots, communicate, if you have someone more accurate, decide whether he takes the upshot first to get up, then let the other run it, and the same with putting. My partner and I <Team Blowfly> have done exceptionally well using this strategy. We took 2nd in the SC Doubles last year, and placed very well in Border Wars <SC vs. Ga>. The one time this strategy was out the window was alternating shot. That is, every shot is played by one person, then the partner throws the next until the hole is complete. Then the next starts but the order is the same. So, for example, I tee off, my partner takes upshot, I putt in. Next hole, he tees off...etc... Then your startegy is out the door, you just have to be accurate, and leave your partner a good shot.
Doubles is a LOT of fun, and recommend that if you have a partner you play with regularly, practice the different formats from time to time to keep your skills and communication honed in!!

There are many strategies that can be implemented. Here are a few..

1. The lesser skilled player should be the "set up" guy... that allows for the member with more accuracy/bigger arm to go for broke (throws last every time)

2. Understand the best score obtainable for each hole. If you are on track for that score.... then you can go for the miracle shot.

3. If you are equal in skill, have a set routine as to who throws first. I laugh when I watch other doubles partners ask each other (multiple times per hole) "me first, or you first?

4. Spot each other's discs. It sucks to have a bad drive and a great drive, and lose the good drive in leaves etc...oops

^^^^^ Sound advice. Had another doubles team approach us after a tourney and told us that they had admired our play for the fact that we KNEW exactly what we were doing without asking each other every hole we stepped up on. The only time we did ask each other was if we had choices of drives which was the better upshot, and the comfort level for both.
Other advice to think about....if you are playing straight up captain's choice the whole time, having a righty and a lefty does work well...but for alternating shot, this does NOT work as well. My partner and I actually jumped a number of teams when we played alternating, simply for the fact that righty/lefty did not help at all. They had to play for neutral placements, giving up some distance/and/or accuracy, while same handed players could play their normal game.

I think that the most important aspect of a round of doubles is that it is a team game now. All of the other things that have been brought up are great. But DG is no longer an individual game with doubles (obviously). Chemistry is now very important. And like you guys have said about knowing your teammates, it always helps. I think you should also set up expectations before the round begins. and during the round, help out each other mentally. Tension IS the leading cause of bad play, and helping each other relax is one of the best ways to stop being tense. doubles is awesome.

Latest posts