• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking while playing PDGA tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair actually several posters on DGCR have mentioned confronting people even physically threatening them if they think they are drinking or toking in a park without any kind of tournament going on.

Yeah, I have read things like this before, but the way I remember it is they were pushing their morals onto others, not doing it because it's against the rules of competitive play.

Most tournaments locally are played in public parks, which have a strict no alcohol policy. start leaving beer cans and bottles everywhere and acting beligerent & course get pulled. it's happened before.

Geez, this is sounding like the thread about having dogs on the course...
Why don't we just combine the two and have a thread about bringing your dog to a tournament to caddy for you and pull a wagon full of discs and beer? Now that's something I'd like to see...

OK, from the competition manual:

3.1 General
Last updated: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 14:44

D. Animals, with the exception of accredited service animals, may not accompany players during competition.

3.5 Carts and Caddies
Last updated: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 14:52

E. For those players wishing to use a carrying device, approved carrying devices include disc golf bags, foldable chairs and push cart companions. No animals, motor driven or bicycle type devices shall be allowed at all PDGA events.

No bicycles, huh?

*enters next PDGA event with unicycle*

*fights "The Man" to the bitter end*

No bicycles, huh?

*enters next PDGA event with unicycle*

*fights "The Man" to the bitter end*

LOL.

A TD could rule that your unicycle is a "bicycle-type" device (in the actual words of the rule).

Myself, with the terrain at our place, I'd give you a waiver and grab my video camera.

LOL.

A TD could rule that your unicycle is a "bicycle-type" device (in the actual words of the rule).

Myself, with the terrain at our place, I'd give you a waiver and grab my video camera.

:clap: Funny!

If he's able to navigate the terrain take a stroke or two off his score.

Why am I not allowed a cargo tricycle? That bag gets heavy.....and the cooler isn't feasible to carry. Beer and ice is really heavy

To be fair actually several posters on DGCR have mentioned confronting people even physically threatening them if they think they are drinking or toking in a park without any kind of tournament going on.

If I saw someone drinking or smoking on one of my home courses, I would ask them not to. Not that I want to push something on them (I don't care what they do to themselves), but alcohol and weed are illegal in the park we have cops that patrol the park. People get caught, and it makes disc golf look bad to city officials, the people who decide whether or not a new course goes in or a current one gets pulled.

If I saw someone drinking or smoking on one of my home courses, I would ask them not to. Not that I want to push something on them (I don't care what they do to themselves), but alcohol and weed are illegal in the park we have cops that patrol the park. People get caught, and it makes disc golf look bad to city officials, the people who decide whether or not a new course goes in or a current one gets pulled.

You must be popular

I get what you are saying, but in my experience, telling an adult to stop doing something is not going to lead to a happy outcome

You must be popular

I get what you are saying, but in my experience, telling an adult to stop doing something is not going to lead to a happy outcome

Well, he did say he would ask them to stop, not tell them to stop, for whatever that's worth.

The concern is that not asking them to stop might also lead to an unhappy outcome.....if it creates a black eye for disc golf in that park or community.

Yes beers on the course are good. Does this mean I don't respect others? Funk no! If nobody else is there but my good homey and I we may partake. If there are obviously other people disc golfing, possibly people who don't agree with my beverage of choice, then I may not have a drink. This is where common sense prevails. Use your best judgement. Note to self... Use common sense. This is a hard thing to grasp for many.

well don't forget it really depends where you live/grew up... in his case:

Arkansas has 75 counties, 37 of which are "dry."

Well, he did say he would ask them to stop, not tell them to stop, for whatever that's worth.

The concern is that not asking them to stop might also lead to an unhappy outcome.....if it creates a black eye for disc golf in that park or community.

I get that, but trying to police people's behavior is practically impossible IMO

A better approach would be a large sign at the first tee thanking the powers to be for allowing the DG course to be on the public land and a statement that alcohol and drugs are not allowed, and could be grounds for the course to be removed. At least then, anyone violating would be more likely to keep it on the down low

I get that, but trying to police people's behavior is practically impossible IMO

A better approach would be a large sign at the first tee thanking the powers to be for allowing the DG course to be on the public land and a statement that alcohol and drugs are not allowed, and could be grounds for the course to be removed. At least then, anyone violating would be more likely to keep it on the down low

I agree asking another adult, that you most probably don't know, to stop doing what they're doing isn't the right approach. I think all you could do in that situation would be to explain to them it could cause a problem but that it's up to them what they do about it.

It's no surprise it's against the rules and there's no argument that is going to change the rules. Just be discreet and no one will be the wiser nor care. I mix up coctails in 2 aluminum type water bottles for every round.

well don't forget it really depends where you live/grew up... in his case:

Arkansas has 75 counties, 37 of which are "dry."

On the other hand, there are apparently places where alcohol is legal in public parks. I don't know them firsthand, but have seen them cited often in forums, and not refuted, so that I believe it to be true.

And plenty of private and commercial courses where it's legal.

We have signs posted, and I'm really not trying to tell them what to do, just a reminder, "Hey if you get caught with that, this course could get pulled." And that's mainly for the people who are being obvious about it. If they are keeping it on the down low, I probably wouldn't notice it anyway. But if I can see it and smell it when I'm paying a round trying not to notice those around me. You better believe the cops who are out looking for it are going to see it.

Last edited:
I agree asking another adult, that you most probably don't know, to stop doing what they're doing isn't the right approach. I think all you could do in that situation would be to explain to them it could cause a problem but that it's up to them what they do about it.

This is probably a better picture of how I handle the situation.

On the other hand, there are apparently places where alcohol is legal in public parks. I don't know them firsthand, but have seen them cited often in forums, and not refuted, so that I believe it to be true.

And plenty of private and commercial courses where it's legal.

Legal in my town, all parks. No alcohol allowed (for adults) at youth events, and no alcohol allowed on the field or dugouts for adult softball.

Status
Not open for further replies.