• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking while playing PDGA tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fntsygamr

Bogey Member
I will be partaking in a sanctioned PDGA tournament this weekend, for my first time ever. My brother in law has decided to caddy for me and will have a cooler full of beverages. Are there any rules that prevent caddies or players from consuming alcoholic beverages during a PDGA sanctioned event?

Yes.

Competition Manual 3.3

And from Competition Manual 3.5:

C.Players choosing to use a caddie will be solely responsible for their caddie's conduct from the two minute warning until the players cards are turned in. Misconduct by a caddie may subject both the player and caddie to disqualification and/or suspension.

Last edited:
thats some bullsh......

well good thing spiking drinks is easy. good luck OP

I will be partaking in a sanctioned PDGA tournament this weekend, for my first time ever. My brother in law has decided to caddy for me and will have a cooler full of beverages. Are there any rules that prevent caddies or players from consuming alcoholic beverages during a PDGA sanctioned event?

If he has to do it, tell him to keep it low profile. Lugging a cooler of beer around as a caddie is, in addition to being against PDGA rules, tacky IMO. More importantly you don't want the distraction of worrying about it during a competition round.

If it were my caddy I'd say, "I don't want to see it, because it will distract me, but I'm not going to tell you what to do."

Plenty of ways for him to be discreet until the round is over at least.

Don't play tournaments if you don't like the rules. I would rather not play in a tournament with a bunch of drunks.

Every player in a sanctioned event should have a "good" knowledge of the rules.
Interprete how you want on "good".
I agree with the above post not wanting to play with people who hqve been consuming.
I would be concerned if one of the players on my card who starts "whiskey talking".

^^ Good points, I should have had the caveat of "if he can handle himself"

If not, then nix the idea.

Park rangers might not be too kind if alcohol is not allowed in the park/course.

Just because a guy wants to have a beer while lugging around someone else's gear, doesn't make them a drunk.

Bunch of tea-totallers.

It's always kind of a bummer that there have to be strict rules about this kind of stuff. After all, how many rounds are played every day where someone enjoys a cold beer? Thousands I'd guess.

But there's always that one guy who screws everything up for everyone else and gets trashed.

Just because a guy wants to have a beer while lugging around someone else's gear, doesn't make them a drunk.

Bunch of tea-totallers.

It's hard to write and enforce a rule that says, "You can drink alcohol but you can't get drunk."

Bunch of tea-totallers.

The caddy that has been drinking could become a distraction to everyone on the card. If you can't hold off til after the tourney, maybe you should stick to casual rounds. I have no problem with drinking on the course, just not during PDGA events.

But there's always that one guy who screws everything up for everyone else and gets trashed.

This ^

I don't really drink so I don't understand what it feels like to need something other than water to get through the round. Well need isn't the right word for most people. since most folks generally get to drink while they play otherwise, it doesn't seem too bad too have to play a round or two without it.

If it's really important you could go college frat status and toss some vodka in with your gatorade :thmbup: Otherwise the rounds aren't too long, I'm sure most of us can get through right?

Beer Attracts Mosquitoes

Back in the day when there wasn't a rule against drinking during sanctioned tournaments, twice I have had the unfortunate experience of playing the second round on a bottom card with douches that were trashed. It was horrible both times.

On a side note, the Weather Channel claims that beer attracts mosquitoes.

This makes mosquitoes eat you

The caddy that has been drinking could become a distraction to everyone on the card. If you can't hold off til after the tourney, maybe you should stick to casual rounds. I have no problem with drinking on the course, just not during PDGA events.

this too ^

personally, I've been discouraged from playing a lot of local doubles rounds because people just have one too many tall cans and get crappy. Buy in is only $5, but a loud, sweaty, tipsy bro isn't everyones favorite.

lol sorry if I sound like an old hag, I would drink if I could im just kinda allergic. All of my friends drink I've got no problems with it. But tourneys to me should be more about some good competition not so much a fun day in the park with the boys.

Don't worry, it still falls in line with Steady Ed's slogan, competition IS the most fun for some of us :)

It's always kind of a bummer that there have to be strict rules about this kind of stuff.

Part of the reason the PDGA doesn't allow alcohol is insurance related. Every player in every sanctioned event is covered under the PDGA's event insurance policy. By making it a rule that alcohol can not be consumed by participants during play, the PDGA is protecting themselves in the event that someone gets trashed, gets hurt, and decides to come after the PDGA for "letting it happen".

Sad that it has to come to that, but in our litigious society, it's a must.

I don't understand how y'all are relating caddie conduct to a rule specifically about player misconduct. Am I missing something?

I don't understand how y'all are relating caddie conduct to a rule specifically about player misconduct. Am I missing something?

Just this, I guess...

Competition Manual Section 3.5 Carts and Caddies
B. Players will have the option to bring a caddie or carrying device during their round of play. A player's caddie is subject to all items within the PDGA Rules of Play and the PDGA Competition Manual including all applicable dress codes.
C. Players choosing to use a caddie will be solely responsible for their caddie's conduct from the two minute warning until the players cards are turned in. Misconduct by a caddie may subject both the player and caddie to disqualification and/or suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts