• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking while playing PDGA tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how y'all are relating caddie conduct to a rule specifically about player misconduct. Am I missing something?
Look at the first reply to the OP. According to PDGA rules, caddie misconduct = player misconduct. Specifically: PDGA Competition Manual, Rule 3.5, C.

Well there you go...nobody had mentioned 3.5 B yet, had they? That's the only one that ties caddie misconduct to player misconduct. (3.5 C doesn't tie them at all.)

Back in the day when there wasn't a rule against drinking during sanctioned tournaments, twice I have had the unfortunate experience of playing the second round on a bottom card with douches that were trashed. It was horrible both times.

On a side note, the Weather Channel claims that beer attracts mosquitoes.

This makes mosquitoes eat you

Holy crap, I thought skeeters were nasty in Michigan. Where is it that they EAT people?? :eek::eek:

Agree with one of the other posts...pour your beer into non clear water bottles and have at it. But if you get so drunk that people start to notice...youve clearly missed the point of being there.

Um, read the thread again there bud before you get your panties in a wad...

Grodney was right. Without 3.5B, drinking would be legal for caddies.

3.5C says: C.Players choosing to use a caddie will be solely responsible for their caddie's conduct from the two minute warning until the players cards are turned in. Misconduct by a caddie may subject both the player and caddie to disqualification and/or suspension.

No where in this statement does it declare alcohol to be an infraction, ONLY the conduct of the caddie. Conduct can be illegal with and without alcohol.

Corwin-Brown was wrong in that it was explicitly outlawed by 3.5C itself. 3.5B is required to arrive at this conclusion. It was JC17393 who first made this connection, many posts after the OP.

Thus, no panties were ever in "a wad", but nice assumption.

A player at a The Midwest AMs, here in KC a few weeks ago, was disqualified for his caddied drinking a beer. Caused quite a stir over on the local forums.

Part of the reason the PDGA doesn't allow alcohol is insurance related. Every player in every sanctioned event is covered under the PDGA's event insurance policy. By making it a rule that alcohol can not be consumed by participants during play, the PDGA is protecting themselves in the event that someone gets trashed, gets hurt, and decides to come after the PDGA for "letting it happen".

Sad that it has to come to that, but in our litigious society, it's a must.

I probably should have thought of that. It's a legit reason for the rule.

Sad. But legit.

I wonder if I could get a waiver to this rule since I don't need the insurance and my course is on a brewery. This rule is the main reason I haven't run a PDGA event.

I hope that all of the posters condoneing the use of rejection of the rules of PDGA, don't have children or don't plan on any. What you going to tell them when the talk comes to wrong and right and playing by the rules.
How do people expect to grow a sport when you don't have respect for the governing body that is in place.
I know some people don' t care for the PDGA but if you want change you should get involved to inact change.

Last time I buzz-golfed, my balance was all out of whack after 6 beers. I can see maybe drinking a couple to calm the nerves down before the round but PDGA probably wouldn't even allow that.

I have a few before every round. It's tradition, calms the nerves, I play better with a little buzz. You'll see me in the parking lot at 8am before the players meeting with a beer and walking to the first hole with a beer.

Also, there's nothing against spectators drinking, so carry your own damn bag and let your buddy carry a cooler and get wasted.

Grodney was right. Without 3.5B, drinking would be legal for caddies.

3.5C says: C.Players choosing to use a caddie will be solely responsible for their caddie's conduct from the two minute warning until the players cards are turned in. Misconduct by a caddie may subject both the player and caddie to disqualification and/or suspension.

No where in this statement does it declare alcohol to be an infraction, ONLY the conduct of the caddie. Conduct can be illegal with and without alcohol.

Corwin-Brown was wrong in that it was explicitly outlawed by 3.5C itself. 3.5B is required to arrive at this conclusion. It was JC17393 who first made this connection, many posts after the OP.

Thus, no panties were ever in "a wad", but nice assumption.

Wouldn't the definition of "misconduct", in this case, be inherently the same as a player's misconduct? And drinking alcohol during a tournament is considered misconduct...so wouldn't one naturally arrive at the conclusion that what doesn't fly for the player doesn't fly for the caddie?

Idk, I could just be ASSuming things again. ;)

Just because a guy wants to have a beer while lugging around someone else's gear, doesn't make them a drunk.

Bunch of tea-totallers.

exactly. I played in a pretty big tourney and people would ask the card if they were cool or not with certain things off the bat. It was serious Golf, but still want to have fun with it. Having a few drinks doesn't make you roudy and trashy immediately. Maybe this individual is going to be a very respectful person but would like to have a few drinks while being entertained by excellent Disc Golf....i know I would! RESPECT the players, the course, the event, etc, etc

Anytime someone has a few drinks they turn into an animal.

If you smoke any cannabis, ever, you're a pothead and a loser.

I'll stick to my prescription pharmaceuticals

I'm 100% fascinated that some of you guys try to argue that players should be allowed to drink during PDGA events. It's absolutely the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

Get over it. Either play following the rules or go play a casual round instead.

maybe people are realizing that the pdga has stupid rules and doesnt do much to aid the sport and the formation of a new organization would change everything for the better?

lol I think that the group of people that "need to calm their nerves" by drinking every time they play aren't pumped that disc golf is changing.

I can't wait until it's not considered a "stoner sport". I'd like to not consider it that, except every time I play people are getting drunk in the park (at like 10am) and taking rips off their pipes and yelling "mutherf**ker at the top of their lungs everytime they throw a bad shot (which is most of them).

If you can't play your round without drinking a beer, then I strongly urge you to take a good look at what's going on. We all have addictions. But drinking can be pretty destructive for everyone.

Honestly everytime I tell people what I play and where they're always like "oh so you smoke weed?" "why are they always so drunk?"

the fact that this is even this long of a discussion is mind boggling. You know what all the alcoholics I've known say when they also can't do things without beer? "it's just a few beers man I'm not trying to get drunk". Ya I know man, you're just calming your nerves. Substance abuse takes the same vernacular regardless of which vice you choose.

Just take a quick break for one day for the tourney man. Just one day. You can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts