• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver for annies with some height?

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
If a need a drive that goes left to right (rhbh) I throw my Roadrunner. I love that disc when throwing a low anhyzer, but I'm having problems with it if I need a good amount of height on the shot. It seems like if it gets over 25-30 feet off the ground it just stalls out and fades left. Is there a better disc out there for this type of drive? Or is it a technique issue? Or both?

Learn to throw forehand :thmbup:

In my experience, a worn overstable disc is good for this kind of shot. Although, my experience is throwing forehand annies rather than backhand. I have a worn xcaliber that I can put a big anny on, get it up in the air and watch it sail on a steady right to left line. For shorter shots ones, I have a DX Whippet that behaves similarly.

It is tough for most people to get a driver that high and still be able to hold the annie. Maybe try a teebird or leopard.

try forehand or a really exaggerated angle of release? to get that much height you are probably putting the nose of the disc at a pretty steep angle causing it to peak out and fade right.

esp flx avenger ss:)

i use a Z for the OP described shot - but the ss avenger is a great disc!!!

little nose up on my beat Z, high sweeping anny, holds it nicely

could be some technique issue, OP - try to stand up straighter and force the anny line out of your hand

I use a beat to you know what champ sidewinder. Once a disc is that beat in it just annys forever no matter what height you throw it at.

Personally, i go for a super beat in Star Valk or R Pro Boss for this shot. The key is the disc being beat in just like RTS said.

The disc isn't the problem, you just need to keep the nose down even when throwing high, and that will keep it in it's turn.

Learn to throw forehand :thmbup:

In my experience, a worn overstable disc is good for this kind of shot. Although, my experience is throwing forehand annies rather than backhand. I have a worn xcaliber that I can put a big anny on, get it up in the air and watch it sail on a steady right to left line. For shorter shots ones, I have a DX Whippet that behaves similarly.

FH annies with an XCal? I wouldn't think that disc would be good for annies at all.

Anything forehand is possible with an Xcaliber. I would suggest a River, or Stratus though. I used to use a Stratus, but now I love the River. Just don't over shoot the pin with it, as they glide forever.

What kind of distance are you looking to get? I typically turn to a Star Stingray - for anything 250 and above that needs that steady left to right turn (RHBH) without coming back - at a lower speed it will still hold it's line better then a driver (Roadrunner, etc.). That said, a Roadrunner can do this as well for longer distances, but needs it's nose down...the Stingray is a little more forgiving.

I use my star katana for this, especially for distance annys. You have to rip it, but if you throw it flat it'll do it for ya.

Latest posts