• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Driver/Mid/Putter ratio

I do tend to change my bag just a bit for different courses. A disc here and there.

Generally
5 putters
4 mids
5 Fairway
4 Control/distance

If I limited myself to what I use without having backups:

3 Fairway
2 midrange
1 putter

I throw exclusively FH but I'm still trying to dial in my form so I try not to have too many variances.

For me it changes by the course a little bit (and conditions) - depending on if its a long course or a short course I may carry a lot of fast drivers, or not carry many fast drivers and have a lot of fairway drivers and control drivers -
**But typically I carry this kinda set**

Max Distance Drivers: 4 (US, Slightly US, Slightly Overstable, Overstable)

Control Drivers: 4 (same stability combo)

Fairway drivers: 4

Mids: 4

Throwing Putters/Approach discs: 4

Putting Putters: 2-3

I try to keep a range of stabilities and range of speeds in my bag all the time - but again if I know the course well I know if I 'll need to bring less Max D drivers-more mids fairways and vis versa.

I've narrowed my bag down to 7 discs total. Maybe 8.

One putting putter
One throw putter
One mid
One fairway
3 distance drivers
Maybe one more mid, over stable

3 putters (putting, driving, and overstable/flick putter)
3 mids
3 Fairways
3 Drivers

8 throwing putters (plus 2 more for putting only)
5 mids
3 fairways
6 drivers

I'm a big fan of throwing the slowest disc needed to reached the target area. So my putters are used a lot off the tee, hence why I carry a ton of putters.

Most people would probably benefit from carrying less drivers and more putters...

3-4 throwing putters
3-4 mids
3-4 fairways
3-4 drivers

Should really be the core of anyone's bag. Past that you are just adding utility discs/backups.

5 Putters (Mirage, Berg, 2xReko, Zone)
5 Mids (Patrol, Fuse, 2xMD3, Verdict)
5 Fairways (4xFD, Firebird)
5 Drivers (Tern, 4xWraith)

Carrying a full bag
5 putters
5 mids
10 drivers

smaller bag
3 putters
2 mids
5 drivers

So exactly 2:1 Drivers/Fairways to Mids/Putters

5 Putters (Mirage, Berg, 2xReko, Zone)
5 Mids (Patrol, Fuse, 2xMD3, Verdict)
5 Fairways (4xFD, Firebird)
5 Drivers (Tern, 4xWraith)

that is so similar to what I have with different molds.

Mostly it's this:

3 fairway drivers (River, Patriot, Phenom),
5 mids (2 Comets, 2 Gauge, 1 Ghost)
4 Approach (2 Hunter, 1 Swan 1, 1 Clozer)
1 Putter (1 Luna)

Is it just me or am I the only person with a few midrange discs? Mostly due to a slow fairway or two that are more midrange like from Discraft in my bag. I only have about 2 midrange molds, some debate whether the 3 tops are the same disc as the orginal. In some molds I say no the 3 top is a different mold due to the variant of flight the 3 mold is from the original disc in its plastic fly in some cases or how the 3 top feels different in the hand compared to the original mold.

Is it just me or am I the only person with a few midrange discs? Mostly due to a slow fairway or two that are more midrange like from Discraft in my bag.

I have 2 midrange myself because I have tweener putters (zones) and tweener fairways (f3 and trident) I use fairways as mid or putter as mid because I am more comfortable. It is very rare I get to a hole that fits between my putter and fairway driver range.
For real fairway driver shots I usually baby on a control driver (firebird) because I am more comfortable controlling the angle thrown softer than a full fairway. So that is why my only fairway drivers are fairly understable.

This sometimes depends on the course I'm playing but generally my bag looks like this.

6 putters
4 mids
5 fairways
7 Drivers

Latest posts