• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Driver/Mid/Putter ratio

The numbers of my core bag is pretty well set. The molds vary quite a bit, but my usual goal is to have disc's in each category that cover Overstable, Moderately Overstable, Straight and Moderately Understable.

4 Distance Drivers
4 Fairway Drivers
4 Midranges
4 Putters

By having a core bag of 16, it leaves room in the bag should I want to take a couple of testers out to the course with me. Not to mention, 16 disc's makes for a light bag to carry :D

I have 2 midrange myself because I have tweener putters (zones) and tweener fairways (f3 and trident) I use fairways as mid or putter as mid because I am more comfortable. It is very rare I get to a hole that fits between my putter and fairway driver range.
For real fairway driver shots I usually baby on a control driver (firebird) because I am more comfortable controlling the angle thrown softer than a full fairway. So that is why my only fairway drivers are fairly understable.

I am using only 2 molds of midrange with 4 discs, one of them is the approach disc to long approach/short midrange as well as windy day putter/driving putter due to having a putter shape, moderate OS, and is more floating like a putter. In fact that is why I use the Shark the way some beginners use the mold for approach disc but the other Shark 3 is a true midrange due to how the mold has more forward glide the way a putter does. Yeah the OOP Impact and then the Archer are my between fairway and midrange distance for me type shot for a disc so I use those disc, more the Impact for a between midrange disc and true fairway shot as well as tight tunnels/gaps that are not short with the Impact . If I had to use a single brand, most likely Innova as the brand has what I need most with the Wombat 3 would be my other midrange as a Wombat 3 is just a Impact/Glide like disc but with less speed to the rim.

Real fairway for me are used with the Z Stalker. I was using the XL but my Elite Z XL had gotten the odd S shot to the disc so I needed a new mold. I still have a 2008 with tournament stamp ESP XL in the bag due to it being less full on dump then the Z when new rather the ESP XL just dumps hard at the end. Z Stalker is like an Eagle L mold but using the bead it has to help fly like a Eagle X but without the odd rim a Eagle X can have sometimes.

The numbers of my core bag is pretty well set. The molds vary quite a bit, but my usual goal is to have disc's in each category that cover Overstable, Moderately Overstable, Straight and Moderately Understable.

4 Distance Drivers
4 Fairway Drivers
4 Midranges
4 Putters

By having a core bag of 16, it leaves room in the bag should I want to take a couple of testers out to the course with me. Not to mention, 16 disc's makes for a light bag to carry :D

This is basically what I used to do. Over time I reduced the numbers based upon the courses I most often play. I don't really need four long-distance drivers anymore. And rather than have the full four discs, I can get by with three or even two. But if this set-up is working for you, keep on keepin' on with it. :thmbup:

This is basically what I used to do. Over time I reduced the numbers based upon the courses I most often play. I don't really need four long-distance drivers anymore. And rather than have the full four discs, I can get by with three or even two. But if this set-up is working for you, keep on keepin' on with it. :thmbup:

If the weather is cooperating, I could probably remove the overstable item from every group except putters and bring it down to 13 disc's.

Let's see... I typically bag 5 putters, 1 mid, and 6 fairways. So I guess I'm right at 1:1. Cool.

Latest posts