• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drives Pulling Right When I Go for Max Distance

rowdyray

I am still a relatively new player (been playing since November), so I am still in the learning process. It seems that when I really try to throw a drive for maximum distance, it always pulls to the right. This most commonly occurs with my DX Valkyrie, DX Leopard, or DX Cobra. I throw almost exclusively RHBH.

First Question: Is this pulling to the right the same thing as the disc turning over?

Second Question: It seems that the errant pulls to the right also tend to really max out my distance. Should I be trying to pull the disc to right and just need to adjust my line?

As always, any help or comments are much appreciated.

Hey ray,

You might be overpowering the discs or they are getting beat up and less stable. What condition are those discs in and how far are you throwing them?

The Cobra and Valk are pretty beat up. I max out with Valk at around 320. With the Cobra at around 240. I am looking into getting a Cobra alternative in better plastic, but for right now, I am just going to replace my DX Cobra. The Cobra is my favorite disc.

desribe the flight. Does the disc start out going where you want it to
and THEN tip to the right (turning over)?
or are you griplocking them, and throwing them off to the right?

You could be generating more arm speed, but your brain isn't adjusting the
your release to compensate, and that just takes practice to get right.

:thmbup:
We need this^ info to be able to accurately assess what you are experiencing and be able to offer advice.

I would say try to slow down your approach. Slow and smooth gets the best results. This is one thing it could be.

The next it could be is you are OATing the disc.

Or the discs are just really to beat. Get the disc is better plastic.

I have a similar problem when trying for max distance. My best estimation of the reason I do it is because of a timing issue. Slow it down, and practice the timing over and over again.

It sounds like grip lock, but it could just be your drivers are getting to where they turn over easily. I have a disc that flies great if I throw it regularly, but if I try and power it it'll turn over.

Still need this info.

Still need this info.

^^^This. However, I will add also, that if you slow down your mechanics and then pay attention, you will probably find that on your regular throws your momentum (followthrough) continues on in a proper direction. When you really try to overpower it, you're stepping out to the side more on your followthrough. Not really sure the best way to explain it. I just know that if I'm throwing a RHBH drive and try to really crank it, unless I adjust the disc to a little more hyzer angle, and pay attention, I tend to send them out to the right, due to my followthrough, in essence, bringing the disc around to either a flat or an anhyzer angle right before release. Based on the discs you're noting, that could be enough to send them to the right where they just keep on holding.

Just a guess, or just something to look at.