• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driving/Approach putter

auzcar

Birdie Member
As I don't really have a driving putter that I can put some power behind I'm looking to add one to my bag. I have my Zone for FH approaches and I do bag a K1 Reko along my K3 Rekoa that I put with. I feel the Rekos hasn't got enough HSS though.

I want something that I can put some power behind and won't turn over too easily, unless I I put it on that line. The amount of fade is not super important, but I'm looking for something decently straight, not OS. I want it in premium plastic as well as I'm not interested in cycling this slot.

I did have an Opto Pure last year that I lost and I'm thinking about getting another one of those but I want to see what else is out there before I make a decision.

Proton of Neutron Envy for a more Zone like feel (if you can find one). It really is a great disc and the hype the mold is now getting is deserved.

Premium Judges are great driving putters too, but it will turn some off because of the bead. Enough stability not to turn but not too much fade either.

Gotta second the Envy. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for

Z Ringer, if you can find one.
The premium Envy will have more glide ( which may not be great for approach duties), but is great for distance.

Envy is great, also take a look at t Yikun Gui and Discmania Sensei. They hold power really well but have a mellow finish.

Innova Rat & Aviar3
Infinite Discs Tomb

Prodigy and MVP/Axiom have a lot of well regarded putter molds in premium plastics.

Maybe try:
Legacy Prowler
RPM Ruru
Streamline Pilot

Last edited:
I like the Envy. I've thrown a Pure, and it turns over pretty easily if I put much power into it throwing it flat. I typically throw a Cosmic Electron Atom for a smooth straight approach (similar to where I'd throw a Pure), and a Plasma Envy for something where I want a little fade or wind is an issue. It's the only MVP/Axiom I really throw much, but I like them more than anything else I've tried. Both are also shallow like the Pure if you liked the feel of that.

A Proton Atom would have a little more HSS, but for me that's still more "approach" than "drive". The envy is my driver...if you can grab a glow envy, those seem to have a little more HSS than the other plastic types IMO as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I had a Lucid Judge that I didn't really dig foe whatever reason, I really liked the Prime Judges... I think the Opto Pure and Envy is on the top of my list. I had forgotten about the Sensei, that is also an interesting option. I'm a bit worries that it's a bit too understable though.

I'd suggest the Mint Bullet in Eternal plastic. I've been driving and approaching with it for a couple weeks now and it's been great. Not as shallow as the Envy but certainly not deep dish. A micro bead so tiny it's pretty much not there. A tick more HSS and LSS compared to the Judge. It handles power well without turning over but also approaches well on slower throws. A great all-around neutral putter.

For a dependable low-glide approach, I would use a Hyzerbomb Tank. For a more glidey approach I would use a neutron Envy.

I haven't been able to find an Envy in premium plastic yet so I decided to try it in base plastic instead and got myself a couple of Electron Firm along with a Premium Sensei. Picked them up this morning and threw some in the field and played a handful of holes with only these discs.

It was really really windy and I was surprised at how well the Envy handled even a straight headwind. It also handled power very well and went very far for a putter. I didn't measure in the field but I parked a 95m hole and the disc still had some integrity to finish in the end even at that distance. It's very low profile/fast feeling and if someone handed me this disc with no stamp I might've guessed that it was a midrange.

I need to test it much more especially in calm weather but as a reliable driving putter this is looking very good. The Sensei didn't hold up in the wind but felt very nice in the hand, will have to test that some more as well, it felt very Pure-like.

I throw premium P3x in this slot, but these are getting harder and harder to find. Following this thread for more accessible replacement options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others mentioned, the Envy is a great option. The Electron ones are pretty straight when new.

The P3X mentioned above is an excellent option and I used one for a while but I doubt finding one is going to be easy. The AviarX3 may be an option as it kind of reminds me a bit of the P3X but shallower feeling and beadless with maybe a slightly stronger finish when new.

I picked up an Innova Animal thinking it might be a straighter version of the Pig but I haven't thrown it yet because I'm pretty happy with my firm electron Envy as my straight/understable thrower.

I like the big z roach. Feels good in the hand and has great glide. I can rip it or power it down for approaching. Great disc and it should be some what easy to find.

expensive options: star or Champ P2. Z luna.

current options: avaiar x3 or aviar 3 (bonus the newer avaiar 3's are great for forehands too)... they don't have great glide though (which can be a good thing too since they are easier to distance for shorter stuff).

weirdly overlooked cheap option: brand new KC pro aviar (will beat in quick but also a nice thing to have a cycle of same discs going).

totally free option: learn to throw your current putters more cleanly. I've fallen into the trap of thinking a need a new disc mold for a missing gap in my bag then you see players like James Conrad who threw normal baseline putters (JK Aviar/big bead dx aviar) 300-350ft where other players throw mids/fairways.... and then I just try figuring out what I already have and realizing you just need to be mindful of nose angle and release and can get the desired result.

Another option might be the new Innova Invader. Dude at the shop says a lot of the local Innova guys are adding it to their bags. ODRB is raving about it as a straight stable thrower that's torque resistant on his bag thread.

I was using a protostar star aviar3 for a while and liked it, and picked up a protostar xt bullfrog when those came out. I liked the bullfrog a bit better because it was a little more shallow. Flight was similar to the aviar3…bullfrog doesn't glide a lot…which I actually like as an approach disc. In reality they could be pretty much interchangeable.

I did want to pick up a luster invader when they came out but never got around to it and it seems like there isn't much stock out there after the initial batch so I haven't bothered looking for one.

Been dabbling with the gyro a bit and have been liking the plasma proxy a lot. It's pretty much point and shoot dead straight. Fresh I'd say it's similar in flight to my soft electron envy but I'm assuming will retain its flight for a lot longer as it wears. I've got an eclipse envy also that has a lot more fade than the proxy, but not as much as a zone. Not a bad disc, just kind of a tweener stability wise. Soft electron proxy is awesome too, but will obviously wear faster than a premium plastic.

The one thing I will say about any of the gyro putters as approach discs that took some getting used to…I was throwing my bullfrog on hyzer at like 60% power for approaches most of the time, or if the line called for a more straight shot I'd give it a little nose up floaty flex line. Just an easy toss to the bucket. Even my proxies, if I threw them the same way I'd throw the bullfrog they'd want to hyzer out early. Seems like if you start them on a hyzer without a lot of spin they don't want to flip to flat very easy. Not the discs fault, just had to get used to how they liked to be thrown low power. I'm finding a low movement more wrist snap type of throw works better at shorter distances.