• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driving/Approach putter

The one thing I will say about any of the gyro putters as approach discs that took some getting used to…I was throwing my bullfrog on hyzer at like 60% power for approaches most of the time, or if the line called for a more straight shot I'd give it a little nose up floaty flex line. Just an easy toss to the bucket. Even my proxies, if I threw them the same way I'd throw the bullfrog they'd want to hyzer out early. Seems like if you start them on a hyzer without a lot of spin they don't want to flip to flat very easy. Not the discs fault, just had to get used to how they liked to be thrown low power. I'm finding a low movement more wrist snap type of throw works better at shorter distances.

As someone that used to throw Proxies and now throws Bullfrogs, the Proxy (and Axiom/MVP discs in general) is definitely more torque resistant and I'd say more overstable than the numbers might lead you to believe.

A fresh Bullfrog might have similar stability as a Plasma or maybe even fresh Electron Proxy but will beat in pretty fast and be more sensitive to bad throws. A Neutron Proxy will handle a lot more, at least in my experience.

That said I use the discs somewhat differently; I'll use my Bullfrogs for slow glidey throws that plop down, hyzerflip turnovers (beaten in) and short straight drives. The Proxy I used more like a midrange.

Another option might be the new Innova Invader. Dude at the shop says a lot of the local Innova guys are adding it to their bags. ODRB is raving about it as a straight stable thrower that's torque resistant on his bag thread.

I don't know if I am raving.

But it is a very nice, highly torque-resistant, throwing putter.

Luster/Star Invaders fly like Envy/Proxy, with more of a Wizard/KC Aviar/PA4 sort of profile. As a LONG time Wizard thrower, I am loving it.

I finally have a couple of Envies. These are certainly worth a look for backhand and sidehand drives and approaches. I have An Electron Firm and a Soft. I like them both. If I was forced to pick between an Envy and a P2, I'd pick the P2 because it doesn't turn. A Neutron or Proton Envy might be as good, idk, but I'm probably not buying a third one.

I don't know if I am raving.

But it is a very nice, highly torque-resistant, throwing putter.

Luster/Star Invaders fly like Envy/Proxy, with more of a Wizard/KC Aviar/PA4 sort of profile. As a LONG time Wizard thrower, I am loving it.

Yes all day, whats weird too is I was expecting it to turn on this 280 foot downhill throw into a slight headwind. The thing just held dead straight. I figured, throwing downhill, more nose down plus the wind, nope dead straight.

It's a fun disc to throw. If I can compare it to anything would be a slightly compressed Emac Judge with less fade. Probably less glide too, though which can be nice as it is easier to range.

Chief OS. It's not really OS (3/3/0/1.5 IMO). The Chief is slightly understable (3/3/-1/1). The Chief and Shaman are very close.

For my average arm, the Chief in base plastic is understable but in Diamond is stable.

This makes me wonder whether I am throwing a little noise up.

Latest posts