• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driving Putter

bigegan18

I Currently throw opto pures for my short approaches and putts. I would like to get another putter for tee shots and approach shots. My only complaint with my pures is I cannot comfortably get a power grip on them because of the depth. So on tee shots,to avoid griplock I have to use a modified fan grip and lose some of the distance and come up shorter than my intended target. My wife has a wedge, and I have tried it in the past but didn't really like it mostly because it is really flippy for me.

So I was wondering what a good putter is for driving and slightly longer approach shots that is a little shallower than a pure, more like a wedge- type shallow because I like the feel for a power grip just not the flight of a wedge.

Overstable to stable: Breaker > Envy > Proxy

I traded Pures in for Proxies and couldn't be happier.

I'll second the Proxy. Stability is similar to Pures, while the Envy is a little overstable with the same rim feel.

I'll also say envy/proxy. They go so dang far they almost approach midrange territory when mashed as well

Zone has a low profile, a thick rim, and can handle lots of power. This is the only disc of this class that I can feel comfortable power gripping.

While I can't suggest the proxy like everyone else, I havnt thrown it (yeah yeah, u know I need to), the envy sounds like what you want. Zone also fits your bill, but is much more overstable. Atom would work, but it is more neutral flight, and is coming out in proton so won't get beat in as fast as with electron plastic.

Tldr: envy.

To me, the rim on the Opto Pure feels pretty shallow for a putter. The Envy rim still feels a little awkward to me (maybe the bead? maybe not shallow enough?), so I'd just recommend the OP not give up on the Pure yet. Sure a Zone is shallower, but it's not as versatile as a Pure.

I am gonna be the hipster here and throw out something that no one has said, but will blow your mind.

Proxy/Envy

If the pure isnt working im not sure how any other driving putter mentioned here is going to feel different.

Pure Dimensions:
Height: 1.8 cm
Rim Depth: 1.4 cm
Rim Width: 1.0 cm

Proxy Dimensions:
Height: 1.8 cm
Rim Depth: 1.5 cm
Rim Width: 1.1 cm

Envy Dimensions:
Height: 2.0 cm
Rim Depth: 1.4 cm
Rim Width: 1.0 cm

Zone Dimensions:
Height: 2.0 cm
Rim Depth: 1.3 cm
Rim Width: 1.2 cm

Nova Dimensions:
Height: 2.7 cm pwag you crazy...
Rim Depth: 1.1 cm
Rim Width: 1.5 cm

Pures are great driving putters. One of the best.

Last edited:
I guess we should ask what plastic the Wedge was. If it was DX, then those are understable, but still controllable. I haven't thrown a Star version but I imagine it has more stability.

My suggestions would be Innova Colt/Stud, both shallow and feel great with power grip! Or a Gateway shaman, the shaman is also very shallow with a pretty flat top, throws nice and stable.

Latest posts