• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Putters

pchitti

Double Eagle Member
Ok so Im not very pleased with my Cryztal Challenger. It seems to have major issues with glide. So I just picked up a Evo Pro line Wizard. Am wanting to hear opinions from other people who drive with their putters often.

Im not looking to go to base plastics. Also I use a HPP magic for annie holes.

If you're not willing to throw base plastic, you're going to see less glide in any disc. The HPP plastic is better than a lot of the other premium plastics, but you still lose some over the S version of the same disc. My favorite driving putters are S wizards, I keep an HPP in the bag as a more overstable version, but it definitely won't go as far.

I drive with a Pro D Magnet (173-174) with a tail wind, and a ESP Challenger with a headwind, and both work great. Both go dead straight. I hit metal off the tee today with my Magnet.

I'm gonna say most driving putters are better in base plastics, barring the ION. It's not in the bag (I drive with S wizards) because it was too slick for my tastes, but it has insane glide, and will hold any line. I kept it and still use it in field practice

so the best driving putter not in base or middle plastics is probably the ION

LOVE my ions for driving. They feel more solid/heavy, imo, due to most of the weight being towards the outside of the disc. This outer weight also gives it a more forward momentum.

This is Sloppy's Holy Grail! I am searching and searching, but have not found perfection. I await the answers from the field.

Well it kinda depends on the shot for me ... If it is a wide open shot I will use a firm wizard or a stiff ion. If it is a tight tree shot and I know there is a high likely hood of hitting a tree then it is a SSS wizard or a soft as hell ion. I use the softer disc on tree shots so that they just hit and fall instead of bouncing 20 feet into the trees.

I threw my soft challenger to its grave using it as a driving and main putter. Im not fond of the feel of the base plastics for driving and hate how quick they change.

Has anyone throne both the putters I have? Cryztal challenger and Evo Wiz. Do you think the Wiz is more HSS than the challenger?

Well I guess I should note that a Soft Challenger is nothing like most soft Wizards, Pro Aviars, D Challengers, etc. Good versions of those putters have a pretty good combination of durability, stiffness, stability, and glide. I can understand not enjoying the feel of a Soft Challenger, but you can get baseline putters in much nicer feeling plastic that make a good compliment to a more durable premium version of the same disc.

The Cryztal Challenger is a funky disc. Discraft seems to make a lot of them but I've never seen anyone use it long enough to actually beat it in to see if it picked up any glide or retained stability. I don't think the HPP Wizards are anymore overstable than the Cryztal Challengers. They're probably more nose angle sensitive than baseline wizards and might be prone to lifting and stalling if you don't get them pretty flat or nose down.

I threw my soft challenger to its grave using it as a driving and main putter. Im not fond of the feel of the base plastics for driving and hate how quick they change.

To be fair to your baseline plastic, you should have at least a couple in the bag to rotate through. Keep your putting putters for just putts, and then start rotating the approach/drive ones through. As they get beat, work a newer (more stable) one into the mix and pretty soon you will have all shots covered and be very comfortable with every disc in the bag. Sure it will cost a few bucks to get the process going, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

Baseline plastic isn't bad, it's just different than the premium stuff. It's hard to expect one disc to cover so many shots, regardless of what plastic it's made out of.

Im using it for drives and ups. I have a Challenger and a HPP magic. Im not expecting a magical do all disc. Now im trying to find something that doesnt drop like a rock. None of the discs except the soft challenger have been used to put with. That I leave to my Omega SS.

Im picky about the plastic I use. I dont like base plastic because of the fast wear. I would go through at least 6 putters a year easy if I drove, putted, and layed up with different putters in base plastics. If I use the setup I have now, I might need two new putters every couple of years.

Latest posts