• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Tips for a Newish Female

Hi. I would say get a Comet and practice with it until you can throw it flat and straight. Helped me a ton and it's my favorite disc now. My bag will never not have it. Also, maybe lighter weights. I started with 150-ish stuff and worked up. I still don't like throwing max weight; I stay in the mid to high 160s. So, with that in mind, maybe a Diamond, one of Lat 64's "easy to throw" line would be good. Technique-wise, I try to push down with my thumb as I'm releasing, which helps me not roll my wrist open. Also, keep your shoulder turned away as long as possible. A lot of my shots that go right and continue to go right are because of opening my upper body too quick, not wrist roll, or sometimes a combo of both. Good luck, have fun!

Sidewinder would be the guy to listen to, but I will throw out one idea about the X-step...what worked for me, anyway. As you'll see in the video below, they don't really reach back during an X-step...they, more or less, put the disc in a position and work their bodies around the disc. When they reach the point that their throwing arm is fully extended, they start pulling through.

This video is what made the X-step make sense to me. You don't have to think about reaching back and timing that reach back with your feet. You just freeze the disc in front of you, and move your body around it.

Oh hey, looks like I have a comet after all. BF bought it earlier this year because plays ultimate and it was recommended to him because of that. I guess I probably should have mentioned that I learned how to throw an ultrastar pretty reliably before I ever picked up a DG disc. So many similarities, but SO MANY differences!!

good luck and welcome to the site. learn to hyzer flip that comet and you will be on the right path given the advice above. Have fun with it and don't get frustrated-- we all had/have issues and most likely still don't throw great all of the time even if we "know how" ... just isn't that dang easy! :hfive:

Oh hey, looks like I have a comet after all. BF bought it earlier this year because plays ultimate and it was recommended to him because of that. I guess I probably should have mentioned that I learned how to throw an ultrastar pretty reliably before I ever picked up a DG disc. So many similarities, but SO MANY differences!!

You would like a Nova.

Somewhat reminiscent of an Ultrastar.

Just more upright and plant your front side closed - butt facing target.

I'm tallish and I too suffer from rolling the wrist over. I don't know if a higher center of gravity makes this more difficult or not but I know the more I concentrate on my weight shifting, the more I get much better results. It's ridiculously easy for me to get my weight too far forward, too quickly and lose all the good juju you're trying to put into the disc. Look up the threads on "bracing," they helped me a lot and tie into this weight shift stuff.

Good luck!

Just more upright and plant your front side closed - butt facing target.

Huh, never noticed it until watching Avery here, but I think I am probably planting my foot too closed.

But then I look at the video that Gennataos posted of Paul, Will, Jerm, and Feldy and I see that there are some differences in how closed they each are. I think I plant a lot more like Will compared to the way that Jerm plants. Interesting.

Oh, but I throw nowhere near as far as any of those guys.

Huh, never noticed it until watching Avery here, but I think I am probably planting my foot too closed.

But then I look at the video that Gennataos posted of Paul, Will, Jerm, and Feldy and I see that there are some differences in how closed they each are. I think I plant a lot more like Will compared to the way that Jerm plants. Interesting.

Oh, but I throw nowhere near as far as any of those guys.
Those guys aren't really throwing that far either in that video, 400' downhill hole.

My advice is take the time to learn the X step, it will make things so much better for you in the long run. Here's someone who can articulate this better than I:

Okay, so I guess it's time to post an update.

Between the weather and the short days, I haven't been out much. I did get the bf to take a video of me throwing in the park, but I'm not going to post it because I could clearly see the glaring flaws in my form that I can work on. Then I practiced x-stepping with a towel in my house.

I finally went outside and was working on the x-step in the park and was throwing about 250' consistently, and had a few get closer to the 275' mark (measurements based on google maps). I actually out-drove the guys a few times at league, and they didn't even hit any trees ;)

I still need to get more comfortable with the x-step and watch my terrible-but-slowly-improving form on video again. Then maybe I'll post something to the form critique section.

250 is pretty solid. You can do quite well if you can just put it 250 down the middle. Paige Pierce is a good one to watch, she is amazing. Keep throwing the comet. It's a great disc for cleaning up your form. If you want some good discs, send me a message, I have some good beat in discs that would be good for you.

It's always great to see another girl getting hooked. It's always fun to out throw the boys.