• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dustin Mouret, Gatekeeper Media thoughts.

I like the BigBarri broadcast team alot now, but is it just me or were they a little annoying when the first started out? It seemed like they were a bit over-baked or something with all the giggling they used to do. I'm all for people having a good time, and it's just disc golf and all, but that was pretty cringe at times. They're much better now.

It was her first time, and she's only like 20. She'll get better. I hope she sticks with it.

I think Dustin did a pretty good job for a guy who isn't a serious disc golfer. He has a good voice. He'll get better too the more he watches and understands the game.

Way to go MJ out there!!!
No I've heard that Discraft commercial, she just has an awful voice.

The first Dustin Mouret commentary I've heard is on Des Moines Challenge. I don't mind him.

He has some disc golf knowledge. He's not as insightful as the best commentators, but he's not wandering in the wilderness.

It helps to have Nathan Queen as the calmer guy in the booth. Also, maybe this is just me, but I like hearing NQ describe all the righty backhand lines and landing zones... knowing he is a lefty. The dude is constantly code switching and it works pretty well.

(FWIW, I'd take Mouret over Earhart any day.)

I noticed Dustin has calmed down a lot in the last two tournament coverages.

He's also stopped his snarky replies in the comments section.

Maybe Gatekeeper had a little talk with him. It's definitely noticeable

The first Dustin Mouret commentary I've heard is on Des Moines Challenge. I don't mind him.

He has some disc golf knowledge. He's not as insightful as the best commentators, but he's not wandering in the wilderness.

It helps to have Nathan Queen as the calmer guy in the booth. Also, maybe this is just me, but I like hearing NQ describe all the righty backhand lines and landing zones... knowing he is a lefty. The dude is constantly code switching and it works pretty well.

(FWIW, I'd take Mouret over Earhart any day.)

He is markedly better every single time. He is clearly a professional, but it is also pretty clear that he didn't really understand his audience coming in.

Still not sure why this guy is polarizing

since polarizing is not a word i use in everyday conversation i decided to look up the actual definition as it applies to people. this is one of the first things i saw.

"What does it mean for a person to be polarizing?
A polarizing person is basically a divisive person who tends to split opinions. Aka, you either love them or hate them. It may be someone's ideas and beliefs, or just the way they behave which makes them polarizing. Perhaps the most polarizing person in recent times was former President Donald Trump.Jan 9, 2022"

well, there you go.

since polarizing is not a word i use in everyday conversation i decided to look up the actual definition as it applies to people. this is one of the first things i saw.

"What does it mean for a person to be polarizing?
A polarizing person is basically a divisive person who tends to split opinions. Aka, you either love them or hate them. It may be someone's ideas and beliefs, or just the way they behave which makes them polarizing. Perhaps the most polarizing person in recent times was former President Donald Trump.Jan 9, 2022"

well, there you go.

I think jenb is asking why some people feel Dustin Mouret is polarizing. Defining the word polarizing isn't very helpful. :thmbdown:

- A "non-standard for disc golf post production" style of commentary. Change is almost always somewhat polarizing.
- Professionally he comes from a non disc golf background and is personally he is very new to the sport. "Interlopers" in the professional sphere are frequently polarizing.
- Seems to have reacted defensively to feedback/criticism and as if his perspective and approach is objectively right. Being defensive and stubborn in the face of criticism tend to be very polarizing.
- Combine the three factors above and they each magnify the effect of the other.

- A "non-standard for disc golf post production" style of commentary. Change is almost always somewhat polarizing.
- Professionally he comes from a non disc golf background and is personally he is very new to the sport. "Interlopers" in the professional sphere are frequently polarizing.
- Seems to have reacted defensively to feedback/criticism and as if his perspective and approach is objectively right. Being defensive and stubborn in the face of criticism tend to be very polarizing.
- Combine the three factors above and they each magnify the effect of the other.

Ok that's fine. I was afraid he'd pulled a jimmy the greek or something.

Ok that's fine. I was afraid he'd pulled a jimmy the greek or something.

I don't know anything about his career, really. But a google search did turn up this article from 2016.

Basically he, and some other commentators, ruffled feather in the gaming community by being mockingly hypercritical of a player on one of the teams. Seems pretty tame for the gaming community, especially a game like CS:GO.

And if anything was sticking to his reputation, I'd expect it to pop up in an AMA like this.

Dustin is background noise for me, because I enjoy listening to Nathan and he's a favorite. I haven't noticed any interference from Dustin, and that's fine by me. Only once has he caught my attention RD1 on the B9 500 foot plus par 3 downhill when he stated he wouldn't be able to reach the hay bales, I was like huh? Not knowing his experience until I read this thread.

Dustin is background noise for me, because I enjoy listening to Nathan and he's a favorite. I haven't noticed any interference from Dustin, and that's fine by me. Only once has he caught my attention RD1 on the B9 500 foot plus par 3 downhill when he stated he wouldn't be able to reach the hay bales, I was like huh? Not knowing his experience until I read this thread.

I agree. Queen is the second best of the many commentating Nathans and possibly the second best of all the color commentators. The first time I heard Mouret I did not like him mostly due to his interaction with the other commentator who was in the featured group (which is something I don't like in general). He has improved considerably.

I agree. Queen is the second best of the many commentating Nathans and possibly the second best of all the color commentators. The first time I heard Mouret I did not like him mostly due to his interaction with the other commentator who was in the featured group (which is something I don't like in general). He has improved considerably.

This all day. :thmbup:

I hope Nathan is commentating at Lake Marshall's Silver event in October, that would be sweet having played the courses. I hope to get up there next month to check out the changes since I was there a year ago. I've seen pictures where it looked like Lions #16 was thinned out, and there are now foot bridges, my favorite hole on Lions.

I hope Nathan is commentating at Lake Marshall's Silver event in October, that would be sweet having played the courses. I hope to get up there next month to check out the changes since I was there a year ago. I've seen pictures where it looked like Lions #16 was thinned out, and there are now foot bridges, my favorite hole on Lions.

16 hasn't been thinned all that much. The bridges are very nice though. 8 is looking different since the big beech tree on the first peninsula is gone. That is going to make the second water shot on that hole much more friendly. Also might make it so the big dogs go for the pin off the tee.

I guess I don't seem to find any of the commentators annoying. I love Philo, myself. Doss is excellent. Rest are fine.

Latest posts