• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Breakout

Its not up on the list of PDGA approved discs yet... wonder why not.

Doesn't necessarily need to be. Discraft doesn't have their ace race molds approved until after the event and then they're grandfathered in for play. Westside could be going that same route.

Doesn't necessarily need to be. Discraft doesn't have their ace race molds approved until after the event and then they're grandfathered in for play. Westside could be going that same route.

That's true, but they usually do get them approved in advance. All three were approved well in advance last year, and the Macana and Evidence have already been approved for weeks now. It makes me wonder if they're having a problem with the Sampo.

That's true, but they usually do get them approved in advance. All three were approved well in advance last year, and the Macana and Evidence have already been approved for weeks now. It makes me wonder if they're having a problem with the Sampo.
I'm sure the Sampo is OK, some discs just take time to appear on the approved list for some mysterious reason. Didn't see the Maul in there either until right before its release.

I didn't hear there was a problem with the sampo but maybe. There are protos though I would say it's probably going to be approved soon.

I did hear some opinions on people who threw the protos though and domey and stable were the two words everyone used. So maybe a speed 9 or 10 saint pro type flight? Trilogy challenges start at the end of the month who is running one early and will have player packs for sale? I won't run one until later this summer I think.

So I tested one out for fun. I noticed the rim is very very small. But for folks with smaller hands and women they may like this. It has a little more hss stability than the witness. It will flip and fly straight for a long time. Good from a tailwind and big flex, will turn hard from a headwind obviously.

Not bad, I really like the stability compared to the witness, which I bag now. But the rim is too small for my hands however.

Any more info on this disc from people who have one? I'm thinking of giving it a try for lower power situational shots.

Why is it rated at speed 8 if it has a 1.9 rim width? Is the wing more blunt than say an Escape or Jade? Also, DD mentions a midrange type clean release. Is the rim contoured or rounded on the inner edge, or normal?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Onemile, great review as always. I'm loving my breakout due to the easy controlled distance. Also, many "easy distance" discs are susceptible to turn and burn but I don't find this to be a problem at all with this disc at all. One strange observation: It doesn't seem like this disc (speed 8) would have a lot of overlap with a speed 11 gyro disc but on some recent field testing I kept finding this disc right beside my Insanity - strange... I know.

I'm actually quite familiar with all of the above and the Breakout is most similar to the Jade but I like it better. All of these have some turn even for low power but I'd say from most stable to least stable Breakout=Jade>Seer>Diamond. That chart for the Seer is way off. I think they just took the misprint numbers -1,2 for turn and fade and plugged them in. I don't have a big arm and the Seer always lands right of center RHBH - definitely more flippy than a River for example but not as flippy as a Diamond. The Jade never made the bag but the Breakout just may.

I'm actually quite familiar with all of the above and the Breakout is most similar to the Jade but I like it better. All of these have some turn even for low power but I'd say from most stable to least stable Breakout=Jade>Seer>Diamond. That chart for the Seer is way off. I think they just took the misprint numbers -1,2 for turn and fade and plugged them in. I don't have a big arm and the Seer always lands right of center RHBH - definitely more flippy than a River for example but not as flippy as a Diamond. The Jade never made the bag but the Breakout just may.

Any idea where the Fury fits in that lot? I'm trying to find a slightly more predictable turnover disc than my unusually understable Seer. Hopefully something I can put a little more power on and turn over later.

Onemile, great review as always. I'm loving my breakout due to the easy controlled distance. Also, many "easy distance" discs are susceptible to turn and burn but I don't find this to be a problem at all with this disc at all. One strange observation: It doesn't seem like this disc (speed 8) would have a lot of overlap with a speed 11 gyro disc but on some recent field testing I kept finding this disc right beside my Insanity - strange... I know.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm interested to try a Jade compared to the Breakout. I pair a Hatchet and Thief although they are pretty similar, so I'm curious if Jade/Breakout might be the same. Looking for something to hyzer flip a bit but still have control.

As for the speed 8/speed 10-11 overlap, I'm not surprised at all. The Breakout really has an extra gear that helps it keep up with faster stuff. It's really nice to have the advantage of a thinner rim and the added D. The Insanity is a standout mold, too, but it isn't as high on the glide scale so I can see where the similar distances might come from.

Any idea where the Fury fits in that lot? I'm trying to find a slightly more predictable turnover disc than my unusually understable Seer. Hopefully something I can put a little more power on and turn over later.

I've tried a bunch of different Furys and just can't seem to click with them. For speed 9 turnovers I LOVE a TP Hatchets. Not quite as flippy as a Diamond but flips, holds, holds, and finally comes back a bit (if given some height). Yeah, I love too many turnover discs - my bread and butter.

How many Seers have you thrown? Mine is pretty much exactly the flight chart. I find it shortest of Jade-Diamond trio(haven't thrown a Breakout), but probably the easiest to control.

I've only thrown 1 and it's in Tournament plastic so I may have an understable one. It's worth noting that the turn and fade numbers on the disc are reversed. More here from OneMile here: http://noodlearmdiscgolf.com/2015/03/19/westside-discs-seer-precision-and-finesse/ . I was just trying to say the the inbounds chart looks more like numbers on the disc (-1,2)rather than the real numbers (-2,1) for turn and fade. I agree the Seer is shortest of the bunch and is very easy to control. I also find the Breakout very easy to control.

I just want to say that I'm LOVING this thread! Breakout, Jade, Diamond, Seer, Hatchet are some of my favorite discs. It's just refreshing to talk about finesse and control and not listen to a bunch of chest-thumping about how far someone throws or complaining about how everything is too flippy.

It's a breath of fresh air... :thmbup:

Thanks for the kind words! I'm interested to try a Jade compared to the Breakout. I pair a Hatchet and Thief although they are pretty similar, so I'm curious if Jade/Breakout might be the same. Looking for something to hyzer flip a bit but still have control.

As for the speed 8/speed 10-11 overlap, I'm not surprised at all. The Breakout really has an extra gear that helps it keep up with faster stuff. It's really nice to have the advantage of a thinner rim and the added D. The Insanity is a standout mold, too, but it isn't as high on the glide scale so I can see where the similar distances might come from.

I think the Jade and Breakout are going to be very similar, the Jade being a tad faster...you can hold me to that.

So, they're not as likely to compliment each other as to duplicate each other. If you want a disc to pair with the Breakout, better go with another Trilogy speed 9 that is stable-OS. The Jade is stable-US. But it might be better than the Breakout, so maybe as a replacement?

Latest posts