• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Convict

I've had a chance to get more throws in with the Convict.

As others said, it's got more line shaping ability than my S-line PD.

It's got a little less turn than the Escape and almost as much glide. I still feel like there is some overlap with the Escape. Both can hold an anhyzer for a bit before fading at the end. Both can go pretty far. I wouldn't trust either in a strong headwind. The Escape is an old favorite, but I might choose the Convict if I need a little straighter disc out of the hand with very little turn.

I've had a chance to get more throws in with the Convict.

As others said, it's got more line shaping ability than my S-line PD.

It's got a little less turn than the Escape and almost as much glide. I still feel like there is some overlap with the Escape. Both can hold an anhyzer for a bit before fading at the end. Both can go pretty far. I wouldn't trust either in a strong headwind. The Escape is an old favorite, but I might choose the Convict if I need a little straighter disc out of the hand with very little turn.

I feel the same way. I bag 2 Fluid Escapes for normal or "breezy" days, but if its a bit windier or has strong headwinds, i'll throw the Convict or possibly even a Enforcer for straighter shots that'll finish left.

My 170 lucid convict must have hit a 'point of no return' in terms of wearing in. All of a sudden it's really flippy - like flips harder than my patriots. I've had it in my bag for about 5 months. I don't know if it's the mold or the plastic, but it's kind of concerning. I very well might go back to teebirds or PDs if it's a 'feature' of the mold.

My 170 lucid convict must have hit a 'point of no return' in terms of wearing in. All of a sudden it's really flippy - like flips harder than my patriots. I've had it in my bag for about 5 months. I don't know if it's the mold or the plastic, but it's kind of concerning. I very well might go back to teebirds or PDs if it's a 'feature' of the mold.

I feel like it is kind of a Trilogy thing. I'm still not sure its also not more pronounced in the Opto/Lucid/VIP plastic where the Recylced/BioFusion seem to have better wear.

So many of my stable trilogy stuff just keeps getting more and more US. Some molds tend to hold stability for me so far, but I'm feeling like I want to take a few and just use them exclusively for a while to see where they end up, or if they just don't ever hit a sweet spot and just continue to migrate more US.

I feel like it is kind of a Trilogy thing. I'm still not sure its also not more pronounced in the Opto/Lucid/VIP plastic where the Recylced/BioFusion seem to have better wear.

So many of my stable trilogy stuff just keeps getting more and more US. Some molds tend to hold stability for me so far, but I'm feeling like I want to take a few and just use them exclusively for a while to see where they end up, or if they just don't ever hit a sweet spot and just continue to migrate more US.

I guess I should have known better because it started in a pretty sweet spot - could work flex lines and have long panning anhyzers. I just didn't think it would get to the point where I could hyzer flip to turnover so quickly.

I guess I should have known better because it started in a pretty sweet spot - could work flex lines and have long panning anhyzers. I just didn't think it would get to the point where I could hyzer flip to turnover so quickly.

I do feel like this happened a bit with a lucid felon of mine. Had good HSS until it didn't, it seems like. It's still a useful disc, just not the OS Control disc I had it in the bag for. I have a freshy on the ready, of course.

I've found that VIP seems to hold up better than Opto or Lucid but Lucid is more durable than Opto. I had a Felon that stayed FB stable for about 5 throws and then flew more like a Convict. I got rid of it before it flew like a Escape. My Stag remained fairly straight until I decided that it wasn't reliably on a hyzerflip without a perfect release that I pulled off 1 out of 10 times. Honestly I think that the only reason the Trilogy's sales seem so high is the sales to people who have beaten in their disc and need a fresh one. This is just more proof that the best plastics are still made in North America.

On the other hand, I have a lucid truth (before the "EMac Truths") that I've owned for 3-4 years that has maintained every bit of its stability really well. It flies like the inbounds chart for the truth, a hint of turn that keeps it on a line with a reliable fade.

So, I've experienced both ends of the spectrum.

On the other hand, I have a lucid truth (before the "EMac Truths") that I've owned for 3-4 years that has maintained every bit of its stability really well. It flies like the inbounds chart for the truth, a hint of turn that keeps it on a line with a reliable fade.

So, I've experienced both ends of the spectrum.

That always seems to make more sense for stable midranges.

The convict I have is so squirrely now that I can't even trust to throw it in a casual league, it went from a good workable disc to much flippier than my patriots all of a sudden. I do not want to have this happen with others but I don't see how they wouldn't act the same - hitting the 'drop off point' and becoming abruptly and drastically different in flight. There is no significant visible wear and there hasn't been any drastic collisions that would have caused this.

To me, this is a bad enough symptom to not want to continue to throw Convicts, as much as I like their flight when new. I like having a sustainable wear cycle and don't want to fully replace discs every 3-4 months.

That always seems to make more sense for stable midranges.

The convict I have is so squirrely now that I can't even trust to throw it in a casual league, it went from a good workable disc to much flippier than my patriots all of a sudden. I do not want to have this happen with others but I don't see how they wouldn't act the same - hitting the 'drop off point' and becoming abruptly and drastically different in flight. There is no significant visible wear and there hasn't been any drastic collisions that would have caused this.

To me, this is a bad enough symptom to not want to continue to throw Convicts, as much as I like their flight when new. I like having a sustainable wear cycle and don't want to fully replace discs every 3-4 months.

Brandon, let me know if you want to get rid of said squirrelly Convict.

Anybody found any differences between earlier run Convicts and the newer PP stamp ones?

I have an earlier run max-weight Lucid Convict and it has started to turn and burn big time, can't handle even a sniff of wind. Must have hit too many trees :(

I found that the PP signed ones are more under stable out of the box for me but still have a healthy finish.

Convict

Tossed one of these for the first time today. Brought it to the course.

Interesting looking disc. Very blunt rim. It feels slower than a speed 9 driver. It glides well and will actually go pretty far on a hard throw. Just a hint of high speed turn. Side by side with a champ Teebird the Convict was a tad longer, faster, and had more high speed turn.

If I were a sponsored DD player I'd probably make room in my bag for the Convict. Its a good fairway driver for precision shots that can actually handle a big arm. I found that the Convict more or less went where I aimed it. Very easy disc to learn and throw well. Seemed slower and a little clunkier than a Thunderbird.

Probably not a disc for headwinds. The high speed turn isn't severe, but it is noticeable. I feel like the Convict would drift too far off line into a headwind.

Reliable, dumpy fade. This thing slows down and darts to the ground with authority.

My numbers: 8, 5, -1, 3.

Probably not a disc for headwinds. The high speed turn isn't severe, but it is noticeable. I feel like the Convict would drift too far off line into a headwind.

I don't find it slow, even though it looks blunt. But the point you list above is exactly the problem in my experience. In calm it's such a fun disc to throw...it does the Thunderbird thing in a lot of ways, but with more forgiveness and it's a bit more enjoyable to throw. But in mild to moderate wind the Thunderbird doesn't care at all, and the Convict can really get blown around. In heavier winds there is no way.

The Convict is also really fun to throw hard FH lasers when it's calm too.

I don't find it slow, even though it looks blunt. But the point you list above is exactly the problem in my experience. In calm it's such a fun disc to throw...it does the Thunderbird thing in a lot of ways, but with more forgiveness and it's a bit more enjoyable to throw. But in mild to moderate wind the Thunderbird doesn't care at all, and the Convict can really get blown around. In heavier winds there is no way.

The Convict is also really fun to throw hard FH lasers when it's calm too.

I guess what I meant by slow is that I thought it flew slower than the speed (9) assigned to it. Using the Thunderbird as comparison, I think the Thunderbird is noticeably faster than the Convict.

I didn't really toss the Convict into any big headwinds, but even with a slight breeze I could see some pretty decent turn with it. It simply isn't a disc I'd choose for ripping hard into a headwind.

I agree the Thunderbird deals with headwinds very well. I'd bag a Thunderbird before I bagged the Convict. IMO Thunderbird is more useful overall, especially if you throw hard (400'+). I could make the Convict work for most shots if I had to, but the Thunderbird would do them all better. For sheer accuracy I'd reach for the Teebird over the Convict. That high speed turn with the Convict kind of makes it a wild card.

Love this disc, for a couple of escapes on the way though and I'm afraid there may be some overlap. I feel like I can out hyzer on the escape and have a convict whereas I can't add the little bit of extra turn to the convict. IDK but this is a great disc. I feel that most of the trilogy plastic, especially DD is more blunt on the edges than other companies similar molds. I find them very comfortable in the hand and they fly well, personally I like how they beat in just a tad faster also.

Convict

I brought the Convict out to the course again today for some more throws. I'm really starting to like it. The Convict seems to fly surprisingly far. I was able to crank it out (accurately) about 400' a few times. The accuracy was huge for me. Some of these newer fairway drivers are flippy and inconsistent. The Convict is long for a fairway driver. It was blowing by my Teebird fairly easily. To get max distance I had to hyzerflip the Convict a bit. Thrown flat and hard it will flip. I'm not really huge into hyzerflipping, but I found it fairly effortless with this disc.

The Convict DOES have some high speed turn, and it doesn't take a ton of arm to see it. My first 2 throws with it actually flipped over and didn't come back. I think I was assuming the disc was more stable than it is. Very noticeable late fade. The -3 rating is legit.

The Convict is a poor headwind driver. It flips and doesn't come back. Anything downwind or calm it performs fine though.

Overall, the Convict isn't going to make my bag at this point. I do like it though. I'd equate it to a slightly flippier Thunderbird. I would dig this mold even more if it had little to no high speed turn. It doesn't hold up well to any sort of wind.

I brought the Convict out to the course again today for some more throws. I'm really starting to like it. The Convict seems to fly surprisingly far. I was able to crank it out (accurately) about 400' a few times. The accuracy was huge for me. Some of these newer fairway drivers are flippy and inconsistent. The Convict is long for a fairway driver. It was blowing by my Teebird fairly easily. To get max distance I had to hyzerflip the Convict a bit. Thrown flat and hard it will flip. I'm not really huge into hyzerflipping, but I found it fairly effortless with this disc.

The Convict DOES have some high speed turn, and it doesn't take a ton of arm to see it. My first 2 throws with it actually flipped over and didn't come back. I think I was assuming the disc was more stable than it is. Very noticeable late fade. The -3 rating is legit.

The Convict is a poor headwind driver. It flips and doesn't come back. Anything downwind or calm it performs fine though.

Overall, the Convict isn't going to make my bag at this point. I do like it though. I'd equate it to a slightly flippier Thunderbird. I would dig this mold even more if it had little to no high speed turn. It doesn't hold up well to any sort of wind.

When has a convict ever had a -3 rating?