• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs Ranger Backpack Review

Pretty sweet bag, but was their thought "lets make this sweet bag, and just sew little pockets on the side wasting good real estate" ? And one water bottle holder :( I know it has the top compartment, but cmon...fade crunch/lite style :(

Honestly, i was impressed with the minimal size of the bag and how much storage it still had. There were also a lot of concernes that the material isn't as tough, but it is stitched strong and double layered in most areas of the bag. The little pockets on the sides were adequate for what the normal disc golfer would use them for. And the straps, albeit somewhat small, were comfortable accross my broad shoulders.

I would buy this bag if i had a better experience fitting discs into it. No question. It's more to my style of play than the huge over-bearing design of grip bags. (yes, my friend has a grip and i've experimented with his some). And the photo's don't really show how stylish the bag is. It looks great in person.

I am willing to accept that the bag we fondled was an anomaly, but ya'll be warned there may be more like it.. :\

A Suspect isn't even that wide of a disc. Condor throwers beware!

I have my distance drivers on one side and fairways/slender mids on the other and putters/fat mids in the middle. That seems to be the best way for fitment in most backpack styles out there as well. I think I read about that organizational pattern in another companies bag thread somewhere on here as a matter of fact.

I fit 19 discs in the main compartment 2 putters on the side and had 6 discs up top going front to back instead of side to side. Could have fit a couple more if needed but this still left me room for my rosin/birdie bag, long-sleeved under shirt once it got warm, snacks and a couple other goodies up top and my wallet, cell, keys, misc other stuff in the side pockets. My 24-36oz water bottles fit in the main water bottle holder perfect AND when not carrying a stool my 24oz water bottle fits where the stool would normally go to boot! I was just at a tournament Saturday and we had 6 a card the first round and 7 ... yes SEVEN the second, so having the stool and the big "water" bottle was a must! loaded down with everything above the bag was VERY comfortable to carry, sat well everywhere I sat it and even sat well on the stool when I was deciding which disc to throw or otherwise not using the stool to ... "patiently" wait for the tee to clear or one of the 6 other guys on my card to throw.

Thanks everyone for their input. I plan on doing a follow-up video of the Cabelas bag and the Ranger backpack. As well as a review of the Sniper bag I have now. I will try to get better lighting (wife LOVES the soft yellowish nasty lights for some reason), and will have a better voice-over and video mix, just rushed that one out a little fast.

If there are any questions you may have on the bag, specifically, let me know and I will try to address them.

Disc fitment did seem a bit tight, but it did NOT bend or warp my discs, the material from the bag "stretches". I do not have the same issues that were mentioned above, I use Buzzzes, Xcals, Suspects, Nukes, all shapes and sizes....but you won't get a condor in there for sure.

I think I'll get a first review of the Sniper out soon, and follow-up with the Ranger after a couple more weeks.

Now this is gonna make any video I do on the Big Hyzer Ergo look like crap! The editing on this was way better than any other bag video I've seen on here. Kudos!

The more I look at this bag the better I like it. I really like it's sleek design, although I do wish it were a little bulkier for a little more storage, disc capacity. I enjoy throwing putters and currently have 4-6 putters in my bag (mainly cause I also like having backups on some of the terribly wooded courses we play around here), and it looks like carrying that many putters would seriously limit the number of other discs I could carry.

Would also like to hear about it's durability and how people like the shoulder straps.

I still think, like all backpack bags, it's way overpriced. Remove the disc golf labels and it's a $50 tackle box.

No question. It's more to my style of play than the huge over-bearing design of grip bags.[/QUOTE said:
U had me until this part and then i got lost. I dont know what your comparing the grip too or if ur one of willy wonkas workers but the grip bag is by no meens huge and overbearing. Out of the backpacks i believe it is one of the smallest if not the smallest. It may even be smaller then the dd bag because of the teer drop design. Also they are built like tanks where they need to be.

i really like the ranger but when it came to MY money i bought the grip. id say that the large tour bag is the industry standard and DD failed when they differentiated on a few parts.. not having a dedicated putter pocket on top is bad, so is not having two matching water bottle pockets on a backpack. they did however improve on the 'smaller than the storage space zipper opening' by moving the zippers close to the edge, and the numerous, separate zippered storage spots. would be easier to remember where the ID and course pass are, as not to unzip something inappropriate in front of authorities.

i really like the ranger but when it came to MY money i bought the grip. id say that the large tour bag is the industry standard and DD failed when they differentiated on a few parts.. not having a dedicated putter pocket on top is bad, so is not having two matching water bottle pockets on a backpack. they did however improve on the 'smaller than the storage space zipper opening' by moving the zippers close to the edge, and the numerous, separate zippered storage spots. would be easier to remember where the ID and course pass are, as not to unzip something inappropriate in front of authorities.

While I'll agree with the single water bottle issue, I like the putter pocket on the side. It not only makes them easily accessible, but it also frees up a lot of space on the top compartment for more storage.

If you're that worried about unzipping your greens in front of cops (the bag has some privacy pockets, doesn't it?), perhaps you should leave them in the car or at home.

I was just looking at these bags on DD's website and just noticed they are made by Ogio. Doesn't show it on the bag in the video here, but it's on the bag. I've used several Ogio products over the years, they make good stuff it seems.

I tried on this bag.
1. Straps were very tight,they would not fit a large guy, especially over a winter coat.
2. The discs did not fit in it, they had to be put in at an angle or it would bulge the bottom of the bag.
This bag really turned me off.

I tried on this bag.
1. Straps were very tight,they would not fit a large guy, especially over a winter coat.
2. The discs did not fit in it, they had to be put in at an angle or it would bulge the bottom of the bag.
This bag really turned me off.

I'm wondering if you guys saw a proto or just a lemon like he said above. I'm a big dude and the Ranger I tried fit me great. At least as well as my Grip bag. I also had a much easier time loading discs in it. I like my Grip and don't need a Ranger but I didn't have many issues with it. I love the putter pocket, not too keen on the drink holder, loved the extra storage. I'll try to remember to ask the guys at DD if they had any bags that were wrong dimensions or whatnot. :thmbup:

I'm wondering if you guys saw a proto or just a lemon like he said above. I'm a big dude and the Ranger I tried fit me great. At least as well as my Grip bag. I also had a much easier time loading discs in it. I like my Grip and don't need a Ranger but I didn't have many issues with it. I love the putter pocket, not too keen on the drink holder, loved the extra storage. I'll try to remember to ask the guys at DD if they had any bags that were wrong dimensions or whatnot. :thmbup:

Ditto, 6'3 1/2 and 260 pounds, and I still have slack in the straps that I can use. I haven't worn a winter coat under it, just think jackets/hoodies.

I guess if you wear something like this it may be a problem...

images

There are quirks about the bag, much like any bag out there. They did do a small re-design due to the frame being too thin, maybe some other tweaks prior to release? It is definitely a nice looking bag though, we'll see how it plays out.

One thing I do know is a few people at DD read this forum and they appreciate feedback. Good or bad. If durability or design issues arise like I'm sure they will with any new product line, they'll get it handled. Perhaps if I get a good offer to buy my Grip bag and DD/Ogio release the color options like planned I might try buying a Ranger. Pretty content with my Sniper/Messenger bag from the GBO player pack though. It's a nice little step up when the NutSac isn't enough.

The putter pocket on the side is extremely nice. one of the nicer designed putter pockets out there. Just say'n.

Not everybody NEEDs two water bottle pockets. I don't. I'd rather another zipper pocket. Just say'n.

I read through and didn't see if this was covered or not, but how does the bottle holder fit a big 32oz Nalgene type of bottle? I would hope that since there is only the one bottle holder that it can fit a large bottle :)

Latest posts