• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs: SLAMMER

would this be a Trilogy replacement for my Pig? the thumbtrack looks similar

anyone know how the feel/flight pattern compare?

I would say a big yes to this, I used to throw pigs, but got sick of r pro plastic so I went to Suspects. Now I dropped suspects and added Slammers and a justice to my bag. The thumb track is almost identical. The feel is just a little different. The slammer is just a touch deeper I think.

I would say a big yes to this, I used to throw pigs, but got sick of r pro plastic so I went to Suspects. Now I dropped suspects and added Slammers and a justice to my bag. The thumb track is almost identical. The feel is just a little different. The slammer is just a touch deeper I think.

Would you call the Slammer closer in stability to a Suspect or a Pig? I've thrown both as well and Pigs are definitely more overstable in my experience. You can get more distance out of a Suspect with a softer fade, at least the Suspects I tried.

Would you call the Slammer closer in stability to a Suspect or a Pig? I've thrown both as well and Pigs are definitely more overstable in my experience. You can get more distance out of a Suspect with a softer fade, at least the Suspects I tried.

Definitely closer to a Pig. Almost identical to a Pig in flight. The feel is between a Harp and a Pig. Sort of a taller Pig, not quite as low profile.

Thumb track aside, I find it to be a cross between a Harp and Sinus. Same rim shape but right in between in depth. I'm keen for a run in Classic hard.

Fluid slammers?!

d38ac8602e816e67d92717c3581460aa.jpg

The Lucid Slammer is currently my favorite disc in my bag. Exactly the reason I stopped throwing pigs.

Out of curiosity, what do you like better about it than pigs?

Plastic selection. Pigs are only available in productions runs of R-pro, with some other limited runs that you can pay extra for. Plus the blizzard pigs just don't feel right at all to me. Slammers already come in almost everyone plastic type and they are all flat, at least all the ones I have seen. The Lucid Slammers are one of the best feeling discs I have every felt. I just love trilogy's plastic, and to me, the Slammer is the best replacement for a Pig out there.

Plastic selection. Pigs are only available in productions runs of R-pro, with some other limited runs that you can pay extra for. Plus the blizzard pigs just don't feel right at all to me. Slammers already come in almost everyone plastic type and they are all flat, at least all the ones I have seen. The Lucid Slammers are one of the best feeling discs I have every felt. I just love trilogy's plastic, and to me, the Slammer is the best replacement for a Pig out there.

That makes a lot of sense if what you want is a premium plastic Pig. I agree that the Blizzard Pigs are just not really Pigs. They don't feel right (or in my experience fly right). I think the Pig mold was designed for the shrinkage that comes with baseline plastic, and only baseline plastic really works right in it. Personally, I think the stiff Pro plastic that they run the Pigs in for the Factory Store is pretty much perfect: more grippy than KC Pro, more durable than DX, and stiffer than RPro. I understand that others favor premium plastic though (or don't like buying from the Factory Store for a variety of reasons), so the Slammer might be a good alternative.

Zone is more overstable and shallower, it skips more too (but that depends on plastic).

Slammer is closer to a Harp, it's a little more stable than a Rhyno, but not by much

Last edited:
Zone is more overstable and shallower, it skips more too (but that depends on plastic).

Slammer is closer to a Harp, it's a little more stable than a Rhyno, but not by much

+1. Thumb track makes it stand out a bit compared to Zone as well.

If you're looking for something Zone like, but different - A1 is the only disc I've thrown similar to the Zone speed wise which was actually even more overstable. Think slower Justice. I'm bagging A1-Slammer-Envy in order of most to least OS to suit various needs.

My classic blend slammer has beaten in nicely. Has a little more glide but still fades hard and no turn turn. Makes it so I can either stretch a little more distance out of it or I can throw with more finesse and less power too.

Weird disc to compare. It's way slower than a harp. And a Justice for sure, but reminds me of a much slower justice maybe. More OS than a envy, suspect and breaker. Less so than a zone. But feels more like a OS Putter like a rhyno.

My classic blend slammer has beaten in nicely. Has a little more glide but still fades hard and no turn turn. Makes it so I can either stretch a little more distance out of it or I can throw with more finesse and less power too.

Weird disc to compare. It's way slower than a harp. And a Justice for sure, but reminds me of a much slower justice maybe. More OS than a envy, suspect and breaker. Less so than a zone. But feels more like a OS Putter like a rhyno.

My classic blend Slammer beat in to the point where it doesn't really do what I want it to do anymore. If I throw an overstable approach disc on a little flick anhyzer, I want it to fight out of that anhyzer, and my Slammer doesn't do that anymore unless I go easy on it. It's gotten to the point where I only pull out my Slammer for backhand hyzers that I want to sit down without skipping.

My classic blend Slammer beat in to the point where it doesn't really do what I want it to do anymore. If I throw an overstable approach disc on a little flick anhyzer, I want it to fight out of that anhyzer, and my Slammer doesn't do that anymore unless I go easy on it. It's gotten to the point where I only pull out my Slammer for backhand hyzers that I want to sit down without skipping.

Sounds like you could benefit from a premium plastic lucid that will stay OS. Not base plastic

No pic, but I have two Caltrops. It is most definitely a thumb track of the Rhyno variety. Innova's patent on the Thumbtrac expired last year. Latitude and Dynamic are the first to venture into what was once exclusively Innova tech.

Nope, Discraft was about the same time as Latitude but few Discraft players use the one disc that has the Thumbtrack version of what they are still calling Grove Top.

Nope, Discraft was about the same time as Latitude but few Discraft players use the one disc that has the Thumbtrack version of what they are still calling Grove Top.

You necro-ed a post from 18 months ago to correct me on something I had exactly correct?

The Discraft disc with a thumbtrack is the Ringer GT, which was approved by the PDGA on 4/29/17...three months AFTER I made my post saying Lat and Dynamic were the first to venture into thumbtracks after Innova's patent expired.

Be better, will you?

attachment.php

Attachments

• pdga-approved-list.jpg
    pdga-approved-list.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 81
You necro-ed a post from 18 months ago to correct me on something I had exactly correct?

The Discraft disc with a thumbtrack is the Ringer GT, which was approved by the PDGA on 4/29/17...three months AFTER I made my post saying Lat and Dynamic were the first to venture into thumbtracks after Innova's patent expired.

Be better, will you?

attachment.php

I was going to say it was not the only one making the Discs that Discraft does too but you post was old, Many Dynamic Disc only users forget about Discraft even though it was what helped launch Dynamic Disc. The Dynamic Disc disc Slammer was out nearly the same time as the Ringer GT. I was just letting some people know as they seem to think that only Dynamic Disc, discs and the rest of the Trilogy is all that matters. These kind of people forget there are other brands out there. I'm just reminding them that other brands are doing the same.

Nice to see that Dave is not holding his Patents as close as he used to back in the 1980's and into part of the 1990's. Like From what I have been told by others is when one of his Patents expired for the Aviar like wing Dave would try to sue and do injunctures to brands that were trying to make a similar copy of the Aviar in the mid 1990's.

I was going to say it was not the only one making the Discs that Discraft does too but you post was old, Many Dynamic Disc only users forget about Discraft even though it was what helped launch Dynamic Disc. The Dynamic Disc disc Slammer was out nearly the same time as the Ringer GT. I was just letting some people know as they seem to think that only Dynamic Disc, discs and the rest of the Trilogy is all that matters. These kind of people forget there are other brands out there. I'm just reminding them that other brands are doing the same.

Nice to see that Dave is not holding his Patents as close as he used to back in the 1980's and into part of the 1990's. Like From what I have been told by others is when one of his Patents expired for the Aviar like wing Dave would try to sue and do injunctures to brands that were trying to make a similar copy of the Aviar in the mid 1990's.

"Letting people know" didn't have to include digging up my post and implying it was bad information. At the time I made the post (January 2017), the Caltrop was out, the Slammer was coming (released in April 2017), and no one outside of Discraft HQ knew anything about the Ringer GT (released in July 2017). No one is "forgetting" that other brands exist and no one suggested that only Innova, Dynamic, and Latitude produce thumbtrack discs. At least not unless they're reading 18 month old posts as if they were written yesterday.

As for the patents, they generally run for a minimum of 20 years. So there's no way that any beveled-edge disc design patent expired before 2003 (since it was sought in 1983). Innova probably was suing or seeking injunctions against companies producing discs with his patented designs in the 90s because they still held the patents, not out of spite. Once the patent expired, that's when we saw the explosion of disc manufacturers in the sport (Latitude among them). Prior to 2004, you had to have a license from Innova to make beveled-edge discs and pay them royalties on every disc produced...hence companies like Discraft and Lightning and Gateway had to print "Licensed under U.S. Patent No. 4566297" on all their discs.

Latest posts