• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs statement RE:Am Worlds in Emporia will be a trophy-only tournament

A lot of DD Tournaments have trophy discs for first place in every division. At least, they do around here.

That's cool. I just played Texas States and they had lots of payout AND trophies. I think trophies are catching on, they just don't do it for the small C-tiers they run in Houston yet - which I guess is understandable considering the size of the event.

Tourney i was in this weekend (and finished DFL, damnit) ...had medals for the winners, in addition to plastic/cash depending on division. Nothing big, but still a nice reminder of what you won...

Wisconsin has always given out trophies of some sort; usually only for first though; sometimes a little further down. I am amazed that there are evidently places that don't. I assumed that was a given. They're not always fancy, state tour events use to award a black disc with appropriate stamp; for many years. A coveted black disc was valued enough that if you could get one on the "black market" to hang on your wall collection; it was a coup to do so...
But, many tournaments gave out quite interesting trophies of all types; and I'm not speaking of anything purchased at a trophy store. They would almost always be something hand made and disc golf related.

Wisconsin has always given out trophies of some sort; usually only for first though; sometimes a little further down. I am amazed that there are evidently places that don't. I assumed that was a given. They're not always fancy, state tour events use to award a black disc with appropriate stamp; for many years. A coveted black disc was valued enough that if you could get one on the "black market" to hang on your wall collection; it was a coup to do so...
But, many tournaments gave out quite interesting trophies of all types; and I'm not speaking of anything purchased at a trophy store. They would almost always be something hand made and disc golf related.

I wish it were that way down here! for the two wins I have, I just used some of my payout money to pick out a trophy disc that I plan to hang on the wall.

Trophies for 1st, in addition to payouts, are given in some tournaments around here, but probably a minority of them. I rather like a custom-stamped 1st place disc; you can hang it on your wall, or throw it, depending on your feelings on trophies.

At Stoney Hill we give trophies in addition to payouts at one of our two sanctioned events. The other is a charity fundraiser, so on a tighter budget.

Trophies for 1st, in addition to payouts, are given in some tournaments around here, but probably a minority of them. I rather like a custom-stamped 1st place disc; you can hang it on your wall, or throw it, depending on your feelings on trophies.

At Stoney Hill we give trophies in addition to payouts at one of our two sanctioned events. The other is a charity fundraiser, so on a tighter budget.

Also depending on the disc. I won a trophy Buzzz at a tournament last year but I only throw Rocs.

True. But you have the option to throw it or hang it up. Any other trophy doesn't give you that option. Personally, I've thrown all the trophy discs I've received---some made it in my bag, some just occasionally. My only concession is that I'm reluctant to throw them where I may lose them.

I hate players packs. It seems like they use them as an excuse to not have good payouts. Nobody ever uses the **** they get in players packs, how bout we get rid of them and use all that wasted moeny for payouts? Also, if are doing players packs for tourneys, why must you always pretend that they are worth much more than they actually are? I'm looking at dynamic discs claiming their player packs were worth over $175... bull ****ing ****. I could buy all that **** and put it together myself for $100, i still wouldn't use any of that **** though.

Dynamic Disc is the best of the best! I will play every tournament I can that they hold in Texas! Simple stuff.

Nobody ever uses the **** they get in players packs.....

One problem with Absolute Truths is that they're frequently not true.

Often around here---and I'll bet elsewhere---players packs are vouchers, redeemable in merchandise of the player's choosing. If the player can't find something he'll use in his players pack selection, then he's really not going to be able to use a merch payout.

I hate players packs. It seems like they use them as an excuse to not have good payouts. Nobody ever uses the **** they get in players packs, how bout we get rid of them and use all that wasted moeny for payouts? Also, if are doing players packs for tourneys, why must you always pretend that they are worth much more than they actually are? I'm looking at dynamic discs claiming their player packs were worth over $175... bull ****ing ****. I could buy all that **** and put it together myself for $100, i still wouldn't use any of that **** though.

I say the same thing. MSRP value is such bs when we all know you can go down the street to get the very same stuff for a whole lot less than they claim.

Whats wrong with today's competitors is that well all grew up in the "everyone wins" mentality. Every season of sports growing up you get trophies sometimes multiple if you are any good at competing. Its turned everyone into "I'm entitled to win" mentality and when they don't win something they cry like children. So what we have is a "big player pack to make everyone feel like they won" when in actuality they just bought their way to the top. Makes me sick, F'n pu$$iez. Guess what guys their are losers/loss in life.

Lower the prices of tournament to cover costs of running and the few trophies. Leave the option for the expensive player packs to those who are new and don't have any merch. If you have played more than a year or two in tournaments you dont need that player pack. Leave it optional. I could get a hotel room and cover travel costs and travel farther and play in more tournies this way.

Last edited:

Stuff I will use from my Texas States 2013 player pack:

1. Tournament logo etched beer glass
  2. Tournament logo Dynamic Discs dry fit shirt
  3. Tournament logo Dynamic Discs black Judge putter
  4. Discount coupons to discnation.com
  5. Reusable grocery bag that the player's pack came in
  6. Brand new sharpie

Its turned everyone into "I'm entitled to win" mentality and when they don't win something they cry like children. So what we have is a "big player pack to make everyone feel like they won" when in actuality they just bought their way to the top.

I've been playing Am tournaments for almost 20 years and never ever ever heard anyone who finished below the cash line claim they were any kind of winner, just because they got a players pack. (It's often me, and I feel like a loser because I only got a players pack).

I don't like them either, but for much different reasons. It feels like I'm being bribed with my own money. I wish your conclusion was the standard in disc golf.

All I am hearing is a bunch of pansy crybaby disc golfers. Grow a set and shut up. Either play the event or don't. Happy Thursday :)

I've been playing Am tournaments for almost 20 years and never ever ever heard anyone who finished below the cash line claim they were any kind of winner, just because they got a players pack. (It's often me, and I feel like a loser because I only got a players pack).

I don't like them either, but for much different reasons. It feels like I'm being bribed with my own money. I wish your conclusion was the standard in disc golf.

I agree, I don't think I've heard anyone act this way. I like player packs because I like getting stuff with the tournament logo on it to remind me of the events I have played.

Lower the prices of tournament to cover costs of running and the few trophies. Leave the option for the expensive player packs to those who are new and don't have any merch. If you have played more than a year or two in tournaments you dont need that player pack. Leave it optional. I could get a hotel room and cover travel costs and travel farther and play in more tournies this way.

Ok lets not get caught up in how I worded the rest of my post. Whats important is quoted above^^^^. I want to compete, meet new peaple, make new friends and have a good time. If I kept a "logo disc" for the memories I would have over 100 discs collecting dust in a bin b/c they sure cant fit on all my walls. I have a nice trophy case for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place finishes, something I can be proud of. Memories of a good time dont need to be in a $20 MSRP dymaxx hott stamp full inn-color pearley skeeter limited production run ching aviar.

Ok lets not get caught up in how I worded the rest of my post. Whats important is quoted above^^^^. I want to compete, meet new peaple, make new friends and have a good time. If I kept a "logo disc" for the memories I would have over 100 discs collecting dust in a bin b/c they sure cant fit on all my walls. I have a nice trophy case for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place finishes, something I can be proud of. Memories of a good time dont need to be in a $20 MSRP dymaxx hott stamp full inn-color pearley skeeter limited production run ching aviar.

That part I agree with.

Rather than charge me $50 and give me $20 in merch, I'd be much happier if tournaments charged me $30 and let me buy $20 in merch, or not, including those custom-stamped momentos or shirts if I wanted them.

Player's packs are a way for TD to make some money (for whatever purposes he/she desires). I also wish to go back to the old days of $20 for a tourney and compete for a minimal prize; or cash, in the open division. At the same time, we rightly agree that TD should have the option to make a bit for him/herself and/or the local course/club. Player's packs are the only way to do that.

Latest posts